• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help a spatial moron foundation!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, out of curiosity - is there any way one can improve her spatial skills because mine are absolutely atrocious. Before you think I'm exaggerating and making a fuss, I have empirical evidence over several years' time. Plus I cannot drive a car. Literally - not figuratively.

Well, no one can teach me how to drive a car but perhaps I can improve my spatial skills because it really is embarrassing. :-/ I get technicians and scientists all the time who want to learn English, and they try to explain these spatial skills and I hate looking like an idiot. (The whole language/math dichotomy). Ay yi yi.

Perhaps I'm doomed to be a spatial dumbass, but if I can avoid it, that would be great.

Thanks! :D

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't know, but that was my highest score on some high school test. What would you like to know about it? Heh.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know, but that was my highest score on some high school test. What would you like to know about it? Heh.

Well, I would like to know how you get your brain to assimilate that so quickly. I mean when it comes to 3D visualization and the like, I'm at a total loss, and that seems to be a real disadvantage when I have to teach folks who deal with these kinds of things all the time.

Geometry was a disaster. My teacher just looked at me as if I were a dumbass half the time. I mean, okay, maybe I am a lost cause, but I'd like to think there were hope for me.

Do you have any tips that make it easier, or does it just come super naturally to you?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well, I would like to know how you get your brain to assimilate that so quickly. I mean when it comes to 3D visualization and the like, I'm at a total loss, and that seems to be a real disadvantage when I have to teach folks who deal with these kinds of things all the time.

Geometry was a disaster. My teacher just looked at me as if I were a dumbass half the time. I mean, okay, maybe I am a lost cause, but I'd like to think there were hope for me.

Do you have any tips that make it easier, or does it just come super naturally to you?
I think it's innate, but I've been an "artist" since I could walk, maybe that training helped. In any case, I think your best option is to use your strengths to circumvent the need to use spatial relations. You can talk people into driving you around, for example.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's innate, but I've been an "artist" since I could walk, maybe that training helped. In any case, I think your best option is to use your strengths to circumvent the need to use spatial relations. You can talk people into driving you around, for example.

;) Hehehehe - If I'm anything, it's a talker. Now it's debatable whether or not I'm a good talker. But I am a talker.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Yes I think so. When I first begin to play it, I'm all panicky, but after a while I begin to glide elegantly around the circles all relaxed. I wouldn't be surprised if spatial awareness is actually a lot to with frame of mind.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
spatial skills? i'm not bad at visual patterns and whatnot but i am absolutely HORRIBLE with my sense of direction. good god, i used to get lost at school after being there for 2 months.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I got 18074889, something around like 100 seconds

Impressive! I was playing it last night on bringing it up, and I couldn't get past 50.

My best ever was 160, but I would have been in sort of special state for that. Either due to too much sleep, or not enough.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Impressive! I was playing it last night on bringing it up, and I couldn't get past 50.

My best ever was 160, but I would have been in sort of special state for that. Either due to too much sleep, or not enough.

Thanks for this cool game!!! I usually get to 100-110 but my score is only 7459 or something - not 19934290348203 like the other person's.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Thanks for this cool game!!! I usually get to 100-110 but my score is only 7459 or something - not 19934290348203 like the other person's.

Are you on 'Original'? When you click on the link, you can select the game type on the left (Original, Avoid, Collect). 'Avoid' is my favourite, and probably the best for sa.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Sorry, it took me a while to take a look at this! Thank you Didums! :hug:

Let's take a look at this:

Pupils who have difficulties in this area may:
have poor presentation skills (can be unsure of how to arrange information on a page) Well, this is okay.
have difficulty with structuring and organising written work This skill took me a really long time to develop, but now I'm good at it.
have some visual perception difficulties Big ass check.
appear clumsy and bump into objects when moving around the classroom Hahahaha, yep.
have problems with positional language and be unable to tell left from rightHehe, when I was young, yeah. And when someone tells me, you have something on your cheek - there. NO NOT THERE - THERE. Ugh, here.....
have difficulty playing games or doing PE, using apparatus I hated, HATED gym class; thanked my lucky stars when it was abolished, made a total ass out of myself every time, and was basically ostracized from teams.
have difficulty understanding abstract maths concepts, particularly in the areas of shape and space Oh, hellz yeah. Whaaaa.
have problems with reproducing patterns and shapes Big ass check here - damned achievement tests.
have good auditory memory skills Yup.
be confident speakers and listeners Definitely. Heh heh.
have good verbal comprehension skills Totally WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!
have strengths in verbal and non-verbal reasoning Oh yeah!!!!!! :woot:
enjoy using multisensory strategies when learning.Yep!!!

Geez no wonder why I got 15th percentile in spatial skills!!! I have answered an extreme yes to almost every point. DOH! :blush::doh:

Right, so now to improve it - let's see if we can't make things a little betta!!! Thanks for your input. I'm sure it will prove to be very useful.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well I guess since she wasn't going to say it to you anyways, might as well say it to yourself.

Awww, well, sorry :((( I was off in my own little world with the stuff that my Ne took over and my Fe took a break. DOH! :doh: Sorry, hon!

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Years of Tetris got me 99th percentile on the WAIS spatial relations as well as platoon high shooter in boot camp, I shit you not~!~!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Years of Tetris got me 99th percentile on the WAIS spatial relations as well as platoon high shooter in boot camp, I shit you not~!~!

Okay, banal question: Do you think your spatial abilities made you interested in Tetris, or do you think your interest in Tetris improved your spatial abilities?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I hate Tetris, and I think I was also in 99th percentile on that test I took in school. I also scored very high on not liking rearranging shit as it's falling from above.

FWIW