User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmütze nstricker - the German support group

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

There seems to be an interest in a place for all those on the forum who study, have studied, want to study or will have to study German.

What has worked for you? What hasn't? What seems particularly difficult? What surprised you? What did you like?

There are probably a few more native speakers around, but for starters you can ask me or @Mad Hatter (also a native speaker and a language teacher to boot) if you have any specific questions.

I just tagged those who mentioned learning German in this thread, but anyone is free to join in!

Also, there will be free pretzel, sausage, sauerkraut and beer for the best anecdotes on English-German mistranslations and misunderstandings!

@Woaden, @Virtual ghost, @Kas, @21lux, @senza tema, @Coriolis, @sprinkles, @Wixiw (also @Sultan of Beans and @FDR ?)
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Yama, Olm the Water King, Also, N/A, Kierva and 2 others liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ

^ It's never too late to give up guys.

life is too short to learn german
    ~richard porson~
    Likes Xann, N/A, Kas liked this post

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Ich habe hunger, not sure if I typed it right, but that's one of the few sentences I can remember from middle school.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    ^ It's never too late to give up guys.

life is too short to learn german
    ~richard porson~
    My philological studies have satisfied me that a gifted person ought to learn English (barring spelling and pronouncing) in thirty hours, French in thirty days, and German in thirty years. It seems manifest, then, that the latter tongue ought to be trimmed down and repaired. If it is to remain as it is, it ought to be gently and reverently set aside among the dead languages, for only the dead have time to learn it.
    Mark Twain - The Awful German Language

Quote Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post
    Ich habe hunger, not sure if I typed it right, but that's one of the few sentences I can remember from middle school.
    Almost, "Hunger" would be capitalized because it is a noun.

It's interesting to see what phrases remain once the rest is forgotten. A friend of mine only remembers "Kommst du zur Schule mit der U-Bahn?" (Are you going to school by subway?)
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Qlip liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

du mutter ist affe und du bist auf affenficker

ps. lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliups eerioppilas (for some reason typoc cant handle that word and puts a space in it)
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post

ps. lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliups eerioppilas (for some reason typoc cant handle that word and puts a space in it)
    Same thing happened with the thread title. It should be Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmütze nstricker. Seems like the typoc coding is biased against languages that write compound words in one word.
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

My German at this point is at the very start of the learning process. The case is that knowing German at least at basic level would be good for my career and therefore I have decided to invest in this. (or at least give it a shoot) The good thing is that Croatian that is my first language has directly copied quite a number of words directly from German. Plus my English is pretty good and well polished, what gives me the experience of learning another language, that also tends to have a number of similarites with German. If I see that I understand the logic of the language I will also take some courses to speed up the process and make a good foundation for future progress.

I guess that it would be correct to start with basic grammar and the most common words ?

across the universe Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

The first German sentence my dad learnt: Der Tee ist gut, aber der Wein ist besser.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Vielen Dank, @Red Herring!

Will post more soon. I have asked isolated questions of our native German speakers from time to time, but it's a great idea to set up a thread for this.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 09-28-2015 at 01:31 AM.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Honestly I don’t remember much. My level now is” Kaffee mit Milch, bitte.”

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    It's interesting to see what phrases remain once the rest is forgotten.
    Yes, it does say a lot about my priorities

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    I guess that it would be correct to start with basic grammar and the most common words ?
    To learn new words I like to use computer programs which plan for you reviews basing on which words you didn’t remember. It’s a good way to improve vocabulary. Maybe you can try this.

Has anyone tried to make up German words when didn’t know them? I used to make up verbs adding “en” to English verbs, but rarely it was working. Although “kommen”, “lernen”, “fallen”…
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle