• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Love/hate relationships with college courses

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have one professor this semester for a required transfer student "college success course" who makes us do weekly "writing exercises". Our (rather unclear) directions are to answer the prompts with "sensory detail" and to not use adjectives. One of these prompts was, literally, "Describe an adjective people use to describe you. Do you agree or disagree? Use sensory detail." What... I... what? Describe an adjective without using any adjectives?? Later in class, when giving us examples because no one understood what the fuck was happening, she says: "Instead of saying 'the red car was fast', say something like, 'the red car whizzed by.'" But red is a fjucing adjective?! Does she just want us to use better verbs?? Literally I don't even know. It's not even an English class. She insists we write this way to "train" us. Train me for what?! I tested out of my English classes before I even started college. I have a distinct style that comes to me naturally when writing creatively and academically. And what the hell? Sensory detail? That doesn't click with me at all. What she assumes are "10 minute assignments" for us take us over an hour (I say us because we, as a class, have discussed it amongst ourselves).

As much as I hate that very specific example, though, there are things I can't say I hate about college so far. I miss the easiness of the community college I went to before this. However, I find my classes to be very interesting. I'm majoring in sociology (admittedly, because it required no more math or English classes from me, no more natural science classes or labs, and no capstone project or internship senior year), but I'm interested in the material. I also love autobiographies, and one of my professors (who is teaching two of my classes, actually) assigned an intriguing book this week that I've very much enjoyed reading. Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich--it's not a new book, so I'm sure others have heard of it. I love reading and learning when it's interesting. I just hate school as an institution.

Oh, I did a express version in the summer before school start, but still have to take the first year success seminar though it's really just tutoring and I do my hw, so it's cool. Glad I didn't have to do what you did.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh, I did a express version in the summer before school start, but still have to take the first year success seminar though it's really just tutoring and I do my hw, so it's cool. Glad I didn't have to do what you did.

Looking back on it, I think it was that professor's first semester teaching. Also, she assigned essays just about every week that weren't particularly hard, but were lengthy as fuck. That class was easily the hardest one I took in all of college.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Looking back on it, I think it was that professor's first semester teaching. Also, she assigned essays just about every week that weren't particularly hard, but were lengthy as fuck. That class was easily the hardest one I took in all of college.

lol, this will prob be the easiest.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The thing that annoys me the most is when professors have a skewed grading system. You’ll get some professors who say 90% and up is 4.0 (how it should be). But some people push it up to a 93% or a 94% and up. This frustrates me so much. It this makes it harder to get a 3.5 or a 3.0 or any grade.
And sometimes multiple professors teach a course and use different grading scales. Meaning I could get a 91% with one professor and get a 3.5 while someone could get the exact same grade and get a 4.0 for the class. It skews GPA and it just needs to be standardized.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
My classes are all so boring.

They all sort of just merge into the next right now. All in this giant like- stretch of just... fine

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like learning a lot and I have some very interesting courses on Art History or History in general in college. I especially had one on Renaissance Art, one on 19th Century Art and another on Contemporary Art which were my favorites - the teachers were cool and it honestly did not feel like work as it was on my favorite artists ever :D
Most of my teachers are not very kind with the grades unfortunately - some of them are real psychos, only one small mistake in the dimension of a painting can be a problem. I also had one teacher who was completely crazy (pretended she’d come to teach our class each week but she would never showed up so she was finally replaced by another teacher who was a LOT better). I actually have some troubles getting along with a few teachers because it seems I give them this image of being not serious enough or kind of show-off... But as I would have good grades or participated a lot in class, I’d often became their favorite student by the end of the semester :gleam:
I always hated exams though. I can learn fast so I often end up with rather good grades but I don’t like so much to be forced to learn hundreds of dates and artists’ names and their works in a week :newwink: I’m also not a big fan of having class early in the morning.