• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

No, I need structure

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It turns out that I both need and enjoy lots of structure in my work, so long as there is flexibility enough to take an alternate route if I mess up in some minor way. I like to fix mistakes I make myself. I may not love my job, but it is still something to do when I don't feel like anything else. It is also a decent paycheck, despite what my coworkers say. All they can do is bitch about how we don't make enough, which though its not a lot, its good for what we do. Also, they complain a lot about our kind, compassionate, elderly boss who just likes to make sure things are done right. Its draining to hear them complain endlessly about things that aren't really problems instead of actually doing their job and just being That said, I am in school to try and do something better, even though I don't know what I want. I've enjoyed my history courses and have done really well, even in the all-lecture classes. I enjoy helping people and giving empathy, but too much direct contact with people is tiring to me. A degree which leads to jobs in high demand is important.

Right now, I'm thinking high school history teacher. The only issues I could forsee with that is that its more social than I'd like and I have mild speech clarity issues, which are nowhere near as bad as they used to be, and it sometimes takes multiple attempt to get my words to come out right. I could see it, though. I'm doing sociology right now, but I think I might be a little too nihilistic to teach that to children. At least with history, I'm just relaying the facts and don't have to inject anything into it.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot I have a thread for this and would like it merged.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It turns out that I both need and enjoy lots of structure in my work, so long as there is flexibility enough to take an alternate route if I mess up in some minor way. I like to fix mistakes I make myself. I may not love my job, but it is still something to do when I don't feel like anything else. It is also a decent paycheck, despite what my coworkers say. All they can do is bitch about how we don't make enough, which though its not a lot, its good for what we do. Also, they complain a lot about our kind, compassionate, elderly boss who just likes to make sure things are done right. Its draining to hear them complain endlessly about things that aren't really problems instead of actually doing their job and just being That said, I am in school to try and do something better, even though I don't know what I want. I've enjoyed my history courses and have done really well, even in the all-lecture classes. I enjoy helping people and giving empathy, but too much direct contact with people is tiring to me. A degree which leads to jobs in high demand is important.

Right now, I'm thinking high school history teacher. The only issues I could forsee with that is that its more social than I'd like and I have mild speech clarity issues, which are nowhere near as bad as they used to be, and it sometimes takes multiple attempt to get my words to come out right. I could see it, though. I'm doing sociology right now, but I think I might be a little too nihilistic to teach that to children. At least with history, I'm just relaying the facts and don't have to inject anything into it.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot I have a thread for this and would like it merged.

I think a lot of Ps need structure at work, as long as they have some freedom and are free agents within that structure. I've seen a lot of NFPs on here and elsewhere make similar statements, so you're probably not alone in that regard.

I have to adhere to a certain loose structure and very, very louse routine at work, but I'm not the type of person to get upset if I break it on occasion (more often than not). It's more like, I have very loose guidelines to keep my ass on task. Of course, here I am typing this reply at work and avoiding my duties!

Some people always have to find shit to complain about, and that sounds like it may be the case with your coworkers. If your boss (who sounds reasonable and cool) were to retire and be replaced by an uptight micromanaging taskmaster, then I imagine many of the same people would suddenly lament and groan about missing him. It's little evidence to go on, but it sounds like he may be a P type as well; maybe not..

History teacher sounds like it could be fun, you should go for it. All of my high school history teachers were pretty laid-back and decent people. The only drawback is you might have to follow a curriculum closely and a lot of high school history seems to be whitewashed and taught in a way which avoids any real thought-provoking discussion or controversy. Perhaps you could teach college history if you found high school history too constricting.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs do have their inner ISTJ from their weaker Si-Te pairing. I've watched it in my INFP sister who is a visual artist but always felt conflicted about how to connect in the external world. She once started a masters in library science which is more attuned to the inner ISTJ part of her. It didn't work out in the end, but since most jobs in the world require Si and Te, it's natural for those functions to feel the external pull for the INFP.

Studying history is very Si-Te, but made more vibrant with the imaginative powers of the INFP. My sister also loves history. 😊

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, i have a hard time providing structure for myself, so a bit of external structure works really well for me when it comes to job performance. flexibility is key, ime.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't like to much structure. I like to be given a job and just let go. I once had a job where I talked to my boss maybe once every 2 months for a new assignment. The company I work for now has ALOT of structure around processes to follow and I hate it. Its funny because I create systems that provide structure, but I get bored and don't like following structure. Always looking for better, faster, improved so I don't like being stuck to any structure.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFPs do have their inner ISTJ from their weaker Si-Te pairing. I've watched it in my INFP sister who is a visual artist but always felt conflicted about how to connect in the external world. She once started a masters in library science which is more attuned to the inner ISTJ part of her. It didn't work out in the end, but since most jobs in the world require Si and Te, it's natural for those functions to feel the external pull for the INFP.

Studying history is very Si-Te, but made more vibrant with the imaginative powers of the INFP. My sister also loves history. 😊

I particularly like ancient history: the ancient greeks (especially the ancient greeks), the ancient egyptians, the romans, ect.

The world after rome is cool, too, don't get me wrong, but I'm more drawn to the older stuff.

(Those fuedal lords from the high middle ages were interesting.)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, my mother was a science teacher, and I might enjoy that. Just anything where I can focus on my ideas and recount details in an appealing manner. I enjoy creating powerpoints, and I could probably make good lesson plans every weekend if I had a nice, quiet spot to reflect of how well each part of the system will work.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like structure, but only when I make that structure.

You mention being a teacher? Best piece of advice I've ever gotten on teaching -- You. Are. In. Charge.

Want to make things tentative and somewhat loosey-goosey in the class? Want to give them flexibility? It's completely your choice.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like structure, but only when I make that structure.

You mention being a teacher? Best piece of advice I've ever gotten on teaching -- You. Are. In. Charge.

Want to make things tentative and somewhat loosey-goosey in the class? Want to give them flexibility? It's completely your choice.

I'll probably take a somewhat laidback approach and heavily utilize multimedia (including videos and powerpoints). Once I get the hang of it, I might try some tricks my science teacher (who is also my mother), my world geography teacher, and literature teacher taught me that were cool. Its a miracle to get me to leave my thoughts and actually see what's around me, so I'll use what worked for me. I'm so not looking forward to staying up till past midnight to fine tune lesson plans, but I guess it comes with the territory.

I liked making presentations back in school, so I'll probably try to view lesson plans through a creative lense, if such a thing is possible. When I did assistant teaching, I hated revising the lesson plans all night, but I was always lost if I didn't spend all night on them.

Plus, no matter how bad it gets, you really can't beat summers off to spend quiet mornings on the lake or sightseeing alone. Or eating. I like to eat.

Some kids might get on my nerves, but it won't be quite as bad with highschoolers. Nothing a cup of coffee on my planning period won't fix. I like coffee. You know, modern coffee, just like chocolate, evolved from the columbian exchange. Ancient coffee was nasty, but not as nasty as raw chocolate. I'm surprised explorers liked that stuff. So bitter.