• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you do when no career interests you?

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
So I'm nowhere close to being the Totally Joyful Barista you illustrate (haha) - at my best I can be, as I'm a work in progress -- but I do this while attempting to forge my path / figure out my path towards something that I DO want to be doing -- having done the 'traditional' career for 10+ years prior.

We're all works in progress. I'm probably overselling TJB and you're underselling yourself. Also, the cafe he works at draws a pretty nice crowd of people, so it's not as high-stress as some barista jobs can be. It's straight-up awesome that you're pursuing your path and have been doing it for a decade plus.

I agree with most of the other posters that in lieu of not being one of those people who has always known what they wanted to do/be when they grew up (I never did or have), it's best to just start somewhere, try things out, learn what you do and don't like, and you'll gradually start making sense of things. Also, finding something you are OK with is a really positive start -- because you'll probably find there are a lot of things / the bulk of things that you don't like at all.

Agree with the bolded, but the underlined is such a key thing to keep in mind. It's a process and it will always be different than how you think it will be; time-wise, direction-wise. Patience along with passion.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's straight-up awesome that you're pursuing your path and have been doing it for a decade plus.
I feel compelled to clarify I've only started on this new path the past year or two, prior to that for 10+ years I was, well, still making sense of things and sticking out jobs I shouldn't have remained in nearly as long as I did. It's all a learning experience though I guess.:)

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I feel compelled to clarify I've only started on this new path the past year or two, prior to that for 10+ years I was, well, still making sense of things and sticking out jobs I shouldn't have remained in nearly as long as I did. It's all a learning experience though I guess.:)

Ahh, I misread and misunderstood what you had written correctly. Sorry, my mistake!

ETA:

What is 'should' and 'shouldn't', anyway? ;)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Remember that i dont know all the career paths. Also in many careers school might be very different from the actual jobs. So looking at what sort of work i would want to do should be the focus, not some general career path you get from school.

sonictard

I make my own career...Some alternative way. I dont like mainstream- social, and work environment at all.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you considered things like freelance writing, or maybe starting your own small business? I can relate a lot to what you said; before I found my niche, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and it was very stressful. With these types of careers, though, you can do things how you want, and you don't have to fit into a stereotypical box.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just keep trying new things. I have done a random variety of tasks and worked my way up. Life is not a linear road...don't give up but don't get too stuck. Look out for opportunities. :)

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
In an ideal world, I would be peteretta pan. Whilst growing up seems great in its added independence and freedom which I crave, there's also that little thing about jobs. This school year will be my last and then I'm out into the big world, but I have no clue what to do. I don't have a 'thing': if you put me with science students, I seem very artsy/humanitiesy, but put me amongst the arts and humanities, I'll seem very pragmatic and no-nonsense. I'm not a scientist and I don't want a career in science, so that narrows my options a little. I've been on degree webpages and job sites looking at careers and career areas and nothing interests me for more than a couple of weeks or even days. I go through a brief period of absolutely loving something then drop it cold and never look back. I don't want a career that pays megabucks, I just want to be able to wake up everyday knowing I'm doing something I love. How do you do that?! Why does nothing seem interesting anymore- even as a hobby?(unless you count daydreaming and escapism in books, TV and film as a hobby) Does anyone else feel like this?

He, I have this problem with absolutely anything. Even with relationships with people: when the curiosity and magic of the "unknown" fades away, it's just not interesting anymore. About careers, I have the "advantage" of knowing that my field is artistic. But when I was in high school, I had no idea what to do, because I was interested in EVERYTHING related to art and design, but not to the point of wanting to work of that. So I chose architecture because it gives a broad spectrum of activities you can do once graduated that have little to do with sticking your shoes on concrete and deal with yellow helmets. When I started the career, I discovered I loved the history and I hated creating, making projects. I'm good at noticing details but not creating them, I have no patience. So I decided to start Curatorship and Art History because I love museums, but my parents weren't happy because they said that architecture was way better and blah blah blah, so I made a deal and I study two or three Architecture courses while doing the other career. So what I did, in sum, was to try something I thought it was going to work out according to my interest (=variety of activities related to art/design), and then, once I saw better what I liked and not, decided "for real".

My brother has a similar but different problem. He's finishing high school this year and he's damn good at everything he does and everything interests him, so he's kind of lost. So he decided to do what was easiest for him so he could do his favourite activities in his free time. Seriously, you give him maths, physics, writing tasks, biology, computer science, clay modelling, horticulture, cooking.. he stares for 15 minutes at the person doing/explaining something and he then does it better. He says ideally he'd like to play the guitar, the piano and be an actor, but he's going to die without a salary. I don't know if it's going to work, I'll tell you in a year.

You could try doing different activities in your free time to see if you can find something that hooks you. In my opinion, first-hand experience is 10000000x better than just cross out activities from a catalogue. Go see how people work in studios or companies or private offices, etc, that helps a lot. I went to a museum and asked to be an observer for a day, and I fell in love with the job they were doing!

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is basically my life. I stopped going to school b/c I'm interested in too many subjects but not so much that I would want to pursue a career and I'm also super indecisive. What I'm sure of is writing poetry and pursuing/nourishing my artistic passions like photography. I have a lot of experience in the medical field though (good $ and always in demand) so I do that as my main job and do my favorite things on the side, hoping that one day I can do them full time. A lot of it is your thinking too. I don't particularly love the job I do but I try to look at the positive and keep at it because I'm helping others along the way and it's rewarding. To me as long as the people I work with are nice team-players, I can tolerate it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you have the luxury to not work, then volunteer at places/in fields that hold passing interest to you.

It teaches you more than school will (it's a cheaper lesson too) and is more like what a job in that field will be like. Volunteer work is often on your schedule so there isn't pressure, really.

If you find a love for something you often make good real world connections that stay with you.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Choose whichever is the least uninteresting, I guess?

I'm sure though that there will be a clever solution though, perhaps even by creating your own job.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know many people that *really* knew what they wanted to go into in their teens, 20s. I know lots of people (me included) that thought they knew. Some of them have stayed in those fields making the best of it. More became resentful/disappointed, and have changed more than once. Some are really up shit-crick because they owe 60k+ in student loan debt, (for a bachelors in psych at a more prestigious school, and a semester abroad).

Personally, I think it's crazy for anyone to expect young people to *know* what they want, long-term. At this point, your probably flooded with other peoples agendas, beliefs and expectations..and finding your own voice in that is hard, especially without getting your feet wet.

So, sift through the contrast. Don't go into jobs thinking retirement or any LT thing. Just try something out, and when it doesn't work...try something else. You'll start filling in your own map of likes/dislikes. Knowing this will push you closer to what you do like.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
die. or have yourself be forced into an interest through societal pressure. yes yes suffer. it is the only way you'll get along. >: D

if you don't wanna do that just somehow get money more passively through stuff like website trafficking or shitty youtube videos which both deal with what you are interested in. maybe you could enslave yourself in return for the preservation of your life, there's a whole industry for that if you're willing.

or another way... find a way to live which doesn't require you to do such things, if you see the possibilities.