• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Math: Do you prefer Algebra or Geometry?

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've tried several times to write a thought-out response to this, and my inclination is to say 'geometry,' but I can't help but see math in a way that the disciplines are all combined anyway and so they're hard to tease out. At some point, it's all just 'math.'

But algebra seems a lot more like busywork to me, a thing you have to do in order to get an answer. It's peeling the stupid potatoes so you can eventually make Potato Gratin.

I have a sphere, which is probably a geometric shape. How do you get the volume of this sphere? That's easy; there's a formula for it. But where does that formula come from? Well, [basic principles mucked around with by calculus, which inevitably boils down to algebra anyway].

Which was more fun as a kid: playing with toys in the real world and imagining what you can do with them and how they would interact, or writing a bunch of sentences until you reach some final statement that says that one thing is equal to some other thing?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Algebra for sure. Proofs were my mortal enemy. I'm much better jumping into a complex algebra problem and mathing my way out.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Geometry was fun and challenging. I have a good memory so remembering which theorem or corollary to use in the proofs was not a problem. I didn't like doing word problems because merely reading the damn word problem hurt my brain.

Ma_Xie_Er

If we're talking high school, then geometry is better than algebra.

Beyond high school, I'd say modern algebra, a.k.a. abstract algebra, is way more fun.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I best understand new concepts when I can visualize them in my head, so that usually means I suck at most any sort of math class since numbers alone have no meaning to me. I really enjoyed my physics classes while going to architecture school, and I think because physics is grounded in reality like forces and what not, I can visualize what's happening in the problem and better understand what's being asked, and what variables I need to solve for.

But to answer your question, neither. Though, Trig was fun...

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I avoid math like the plague. :9436:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In school I prefered geometry. Straight up algebra often seemed to lack real world applications in my mind (the more advanced stuff that is). At least compared to geometry.

Later on in my twenties I came to appreciate algebra a bit more though.

angelgirl

MBTI Type
Infj
I loved maths but we used to study algebra and geometry with the same maths teacher so I appreciated both branches equally :)