• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Math: Do you prefer Algebra or Geometry?

DreamBeliever

I want to see if there's a correlation between types. I personally was great at algebra. I got straight As the whole year in it & an A on my final. I even thought it was fun. I honestly loved it. However, I couldn't stand geometry. I was never able to grasp it good, & it was very frustrating to me. Anyways, share your experiences below. Whether you hate math or love it, it seems everyone at least slightly preferred one over the other.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was significantly better at Algebra... proofs, and the necessary memorization of postulates and theorems, ruined my grade.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
algebra, but i'm really not into math and hope i never have to take
another math class ever.

statistics was always the easiest subject for me.

Chrysanthea

Both Algebra and Geometry were equally easy to me, though Algebra was probably a bit more enjoyable and far less tedious. God... the proofs. I don't have to prove anything to you, just admit you already know it's a fucking isosceles triangle!

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
I liked algebra and stats more than I even remember geometry.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoyed geometry more but was better at algebra and statistics.

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I enjoyed geometry much more than algebra. Geometry was like putting pieces of a puzzle together. My favorite math was differential equations.

That's right! Feelingsy INFP girl can do math. Eat it, stereotypes! lol

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Honestly was pretty good at all 3, enjoyed different parts of each and really hated others.

Geometry... Generally felt like puzzles upon puzzles to me, each one showong itself pretty blatantly and jumping right into place without me having to do anything- kind of a visual algebra. Loved that side of it. The class I could most easily get away with doing absolutely no homework, showing up to class, or cracking a book, eaisiest tests to definitively figure what is going on during the... Forever, amount of time allotted. That said proofs are the cruelest thing ever known to man and I refuse to engage with them or learn the 'little rules' for how to write them- have a personal vendetta against them, too particular, though I understand why they might be needed later on in the future, they always felt like having to explain every tiny little step to an alien in the proccess of breathing in the aliens language and god forbid you mess up a letter or whatever because if you do then there is just absolutely no way the alien can ever understand the entirety of the code and everything that you did, no matter how personally understandable, is just gibberish for naught. It might have just been the extremely regimented and closed step by step methods which we were made to memorize, but it was just awful- a slap in the face on a smooth sunny day. So everyhing but the memorization proofs in geometry made me love it. Just flowed.

But Statistics... Now that is where it's at. That was more like word games, ones that built off of each other, getting more and more intricate like a story. Statistics was easy and adaptable and open to interpretation, as long as you could understand what was going on... Which generally again was just sooo easy to, you could do anything with it. So malleable, and I just loved interpretaing the statistics. A wholistic class where you could learn the ups, downs, insideouts, hows, and whys and then connect them with each other, delve further with them, and then kind of throw the understanding into your own particular language. And I loved that this one required little homework as well, a once you understood it you UNDERSTAND everything class. One of my absolute favorites, favorite 'pure math' by far... Though geometry comes close.

Algenra was different, was always good at it but it generally killed me a little bit with its tediousness and I felt that most teachers of it taught the book and not the subject, to get people to know but not understand. And god... The homework. 50 problems a night of tje same concept repeated again and again...how dense
Do you think I am? And being treated like some sort of villian if I happened to do well without any homework-because you know 'hard work' is the building blocks of a good mathematician, not the ability to think quickly, understand a problem holistically, and problem solve something introcately... No I am sure the next time that I need to use math it will be in the form of someone handing me a 80 problem workbook with the numbers all traded out and forcing me to not leave any stone unturned- to do everything and get nothing. Numbers without meaning. But anyways, I was good at algebra too- would have been a shit ton better if the classes just let me get 100's (not bragging, just stating a fact-I generally easily got full credit on anything that I did in math wjen I actually gave a shit, and since I usually view tests as a sort of game, I usually did well), without adding in own personal bells and whistles as a means to even out the playing field, or whatever blah blah blah, the I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more. Seeing your grades grop from 100's to 70's or whatever because of homework points... Which are practice for the tests... Might I add, just hobble me now why don't you, club my kneecaps, tie a sack of flower to me, call me harrison bergeron or whatever?, is discouraging and irritating as all hell, and would have been more if I ever really cared about my grades beyond collecting them and watching the rainbows of complete disproportion form. Like I am some sort of villian for not learning parallel to the system, some sort of radical that has to be contained. But anyways, besides my absolute annoyance with the way the classes were run, algebra in general... Hit or miss. Hated the stuff that was sort of plug and chug in the calculator, and god forbid you ask what the forumlas mean-what they came from-what was beyond them, because then you are just getting ahead of yourself missy and why don't you just concentrate on doing what is in front of you and stop asking questions blah blah blah. Again I loved the stuff that you could figure out as you went along if you really just flexed your mind- math is sort of like art in that way, you just have to determine the best interpretation and continuously expand the depth of your eye, can see all around it- so yeah I liked math as long as it wasn't ruined by any non-math powerplaying bullshit.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I love them both, and I can't love more than another..
Just like my two eyes.. <3

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did well in algebra. Did OK at Geometry, yes the proofs were rather annoying as the shapes seemed as self-evident, I didn't feel like I needed to be Euclid, because he already did his work, if that makes any sense.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I've struggled with math my whole life, completely and overwhelmingly preferring the arts and expressive activities. But I'd definitely say Algebra. Compared to Geometry, it was fun. I couldn't deal with all the shapes and angles. It's like they gave you one angle measure and expected you to find all the other angles, the sides, the meaning of life, and how many bloated cows you could fit on the moon. Many tears were shed because of that wretched subject.

I've always enjoyed basic statistics, mostly because I could characterize things in my mind. You know, attach personalities and identities to the people involved. I also love word problems--unfortunately, once you get into higher level math, the frequency of such problems decreases. At the same time, though, they made me sad, because I started wondering about their lives. What were they struggling with? What made them cry? Then I'd start empathizing with fictional characters and the even more fictional feelings of those characters. :blush:

DreamBeliever

I've struggled with math my whole life, completely and overwhelmingly preferring the arts and expressive activities. But I'd definitely say Algebra. Compared to Geometry, it was fun. I couldn't deal with all the shapes and angles. It's like they gave you one angle measure and expected you to find all the other angles, the sides, the meaning of life, and how many bloated cows you could fit on the moon. Many tears were shed because of that wretched subject.

I've always enjoyed basic statistics, mostly because I could characterize things in my mind. You know, attach personalities and identities to the people involved. I also love word problems--unfortunately, once you get into higher level math, the frequency of such problems decreases. At the same time, though, they made me sad, because I started wondering about their lives. What were they struggling with? What made them cry? Then I'd start empathizing with fictional characters and the even more fictional feelings of those characters. :blush:

Your description of geometry is spot on. lol :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always liked geometry a bit better... I could see the shapes and figure out what was going on with them and that always made it a bit more fun. of course, the most recent geometry I did was mixed with algebra as well, so it was basically free for all math problem solving for practical application, which I liked.

also liked statistics and took quite a few classes in it :yes:

occasionally I tutor people in algebra... apparently most people think math is hard :unsure:

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Geometry was like candy for my brain. Algebra would just get spat out over and over again.

I'm a visual thinker at a great expense to every other type of learning. If I can't at least draw a model of a concept in my mind, absorbing it is going to be hell.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not very good at visual thinking, so geometry was a little more challenging for me than algebra. I didn't really care for either one, though - calculus was the only math class I found interesting. This sounds silly, but because it's the study of change and motion, it just felt more...vital and dynamic than other maths to me. More vibrantly descriptive of the patterns of nature, and even having a poetic beauty to it that I didn't find in other maths. I liked the connection to physics and mechanics and the word problems dealing with those subjects, also. And because of derivatives in calculus, it involves memorizing fewer formulas than algebra does.

Butter

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I enjoyed geometry much more than algebra. Geometry was like putting pieces of a puzzle together. My favorite math was differential equations.

That's right! Feelingsy INFP girl can do math. Eat it, stereotypes! lol

Ditto. I like all maths. I dont have a favorite because I like it all.