• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please help DisneyGeek decide on a career!

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
So I'm on my way to earning a degree in human biology. I do NOT want to switch and this point...and I am definitely generally interested in the subject. The issue is finding out what to do from there. Also, if you guys have another forum in mind that could help me, please let me know!

I seem to have unfortunately picked something that interests me to study, but not to actually perform as a career.

Here is a list of possible options I have come up with (ones I crossed off are definitely NOT what I want to do):

• Physician
  • Physician assistant
  • Nurse
  • Physical therapist
  • Biology research professor
  • Non research professor
  • Veterinarian??? (not sure if possible, considering major)
  • Dentist
  • What else is there?

Things I like:

• Working with my hands
  • Variety
  • Colleagues on the same level as me

Things I don't like:

• Too much routine
  • Clients, customers, patients, etc. (I don't like having to please people and interact unnaturally)
  • Laboratory settings that involve mixing chemicals (not a huge fan of microscopic things)

Somewhat relevant experiences/stats

• Hospital volunteer for several years
  • Volunteer as teaching assistant for anatomy lab with human cadavers for several years
  • Watched a few resuscitations and such in the emergency department of a hospital
  • Some leadership in a club organization
  • GPA: 3.7

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More details on the career list...

Things I crossed off:

Things I didn't cross off:

Please help and tell me what you think!!!

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It sucks that in these sorts of fields you need to do more study after you've already done your studies :'(

Soz can't be of more help, I don't even have a clue what I want to do

Qre:us

Like the poster above said, and like you have already anticipated, given your choices so far, you will need more schooling.

I'd suggest digging a little deeper into what you likelove to do, what energizes and motivates your curiosity. Maybe speak with a career counsellor at your school.

There's some broad areas as well, that you may consider:
- if you are technologically inclined, biotechnology
- if you enjoy organic chemistry as well, there's genetic engineering, as there will be a focus on the 'micro'
- Forensic science
- Dietitian/Nutritionist - need to interact with people
- Education - high school teacher? - need to interact with people
- Epidemiologist - you must like stats, and you will be in the field of research, primarily.

/DG/

It sucks that in these sorts of fields you need to do more study after you've already done your studies :'(

Soz can't be of more help, I don't even have a clue what I want to do

I mean, I'm okay with this. I've pretty much realized that I have to go to some kind of graduate school. I just have to figure out when to take the GRE/MCAT.

Like the poster above said, and like you have already anticipated, given your choices so far, you will need more schooling.

Right, and that's fine. I just need to figure out what path to take.

I'd suggest digging a little deeper into what you likelove to do, what energizes and motivates your curiosity.

But how can I know this without actually doing it myself? It's not like I can try out the lifestyle for myself. I see it this way...sometimes you'll see a piece of clothing on the rack that looks ugly, but when you put it on, it looks far better than you thought. The reverse of this is also true. If I don't have a chance to actually "try on the clothing" so to speak, how can I know what I really want?

Maybe speak with a career counsellor at your school.

I did some quick googling, and there seems to be a career counseling service for members of the community, but it is not specific to the university. Have you ever been to this sort of thing? I'm wondering how helpful they actually are.

Thank you so much for the additional considerations! I'll post my thoughts on them.

There's some broad areas as well, that you may consider:
- if you are technologically inclined, biotechnology

Do you mean like biomechanical engineering? This could be potentially interesting, though I've no experience with it and don't know what it'd be like. Not sure if there is a way to find out? :shrug:

- if you enjoy organic chemistry as well, there's genetic engineering, as there will be a focus on the 'micro'

Ahh...I really didn't enjoy organic chemistry (sorry, Hard!) and I don't tend to like the microscopic things...though it depends on what we're talking about.

- Forensic science

There are several forensic fields that I can think of...Forensic chemistry would not be something I'm interested in. Then there are detectives, but that doesn't relate to my major. And then there's becoming someone like a medical examiner and such. This would involve going to medical school. Hmm...not sure.

- Dietitian/Nutritionist - need to interact with people

Hmm...this doesn't sound quite so appealing to me. Nutrition isn't one of my interests.

- Education - high school teacher? - need to interact with people

I'll perhaps elaborate on this. I'm a teaching assistant, but we don't just stand around and answer questions. We actually help to teach the material to the students. I really enjoy it. I just wouldn't like it if I didn't have the opportunity to be hands-on...and I don't like that I'd essentially be teaching the same material over and over again. Again, I think teaching is an interesting route to go, but I have these few concerns.

Oh and my current degree doesn't relate to teaching, so I'd have to continue on and at least get a master's for this. Do many high school teachers have master's or are they mostly bachelor's? Again, I could also become a non-research professor, which is something to consider. What do you think about the potential drawbacks I've listed?

- Epidemiologist - you must like stats, and you will be in the field of research, primarily.

Not a fan of stats. :p

-------

It seems like so far, my strongest points are deciding between becoming a physician or a teacher/professor. Not sure which route I'd enjoy more or if there is something else out there for me that I'd like better. It's just so hard to know without being able to experience anything! Gah!

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Have you considered naturopathic medicine?

A licensed naturopathic physician (ND) attends a four-year, graduate-level naturopathic medical school and is educated in all of the same basic sciences as an MD, but also studies holistic and nontoxic approaches to therapy with a strong emphasis on disease prevention and optimizing wellness.

Naturopathic Physicians

Degree

Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (ND)
General Requirements
Bachelor’s degree
Grade C or better in prerequisite coursework
Concrete exposure to the practice of naturopathic medicine, by job-shadowing if possible, or by interviews with one or more naturopathic physicians
While there is no minimum GPA requirement, the historical average GPA for admitted students is 3.4

Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine: Quick Facts

DreamBeliever

If you want to be a doctor, you're going to have a lot of schooling to get through (no way around it). Why choose a major like this if you don't want to work with people/patients all day? I'm sure you could think of other jobs you rather do instead. Why not ask career services at school for help or your academic advisor, rather than asking people on here? btw biology sounds incredibly boring (just my opinion, but I'm not the one taking it, so that don't matter).

DreamBeliever

What year are you in, anyway? Why map out your whole future? Man, I've changed my major like a billion times. I'll get out of your hair now.

/DG/

Have you considered naturopathic medicine?

Thanks for adding to my list of possibilities! Unfortunately, I am highly opposed to any sort of "alternative medicine," but again, I appreciate the suggestion.

If you want to be a doctor, you're going to have a lot of schooling to get through (no way around it).

But I don't know that it's what I want. I understand that it's a lot of schooling. My issue is that it's a huge barrier to entry. I can't know that I like it unless I do it...and if I don't like it once I do it, it isn't easy to just switch to something else without being the poorest of the hobos. Once you go to medical school, you're very "locked in" to that career.

Why choose a major like this if you don't want to work with people/patients all day? I'm sure you could think of other jobs you rather do instead.

That's a good question and I'll tell you why. I've always really enjoyed math and science in school. In high school, I wound up taking some amazing classes somewhat by accident...AP biology, anatomy & physiology, vertebrate zoology, and AP psychology. All of these were insanely interesting to me and I knew what I wanted to study. I wanted to find out how humans work and everything about us--our bodies, our minds, our structure, our mechanics...

But you see, I wasn't thinking far enough into the future. I LOVE learning about these subjects, but I never thought about the actual careers that went along with them. I would've thought that by following what I love to learn, I'd also find what I'd love to do for the rest of my life. This isn't turning out to be so.

And it isn't really the working with people that I hate. After all, I teach students each week and I enjoy it! It's the whole thing about acting unnaturally and overly friendly, and the awkward need to please people in an unnatural way. I am also a cashier, and I don't like being fake nice to people and talk bullshit all day about the weather. In class, I can be me and say whatever. I can get down to business without chitchat, being fake, or worrying about pleasing others.

Why not ask career services at school for help or your academic advisor, rather than asking people on here?

Honestly? After thinking about it a bit, I think the reason I'm so apt to turn to the internet for these sorts of things is that we're communicating in writing. I can't always think of what I want to say on the spot, nor do I really have time to ponder anyone's considerations, like I am here. It's why I was hoping someone might have some sort of forums or something to suggest that would help me out.

btw biology sounds incredibly boring (just my opinion, but I'm not the one taking it, so that don't matter).

Haha. Everyone has different interests! There are some parts of biology that I dislike as well, and some parts that I love!

What year are you in, anyway? Why map out your whole future? Man, I've changed my major like a billion times. I'll get out of your hair now.

I graduate next spring. It's not about mapping my entire future, it's about figuring out a path. Eventually I have to make some sort of a decision or I won't have any sort of career at all. And don't worry about getting out of my hair; I appreciate the questions.