• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

AP Exam tomorrow.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I'm terrified, to be honest. Multiple choice portion and three essays to write in 2 hours. It's not even just the test. It's the environment--all of us crammed in a gym with long rows of tables. Strict rules and formalities. I don't feel prepared in any way. This is my first AP class, so I've never been through any of this. I feel like I won't meet the standards that are set for me by teachers and by myself. I can't bear to disappoint.

Experience? Tips? :shrug:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
mine weren't too hard, i did opt out of taking a couple that i knew i would do shitty on though. as long as you know the material well you should be fine. it's just like any other test. look for practice tests if you feel unprepared.

which AP test is it?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
mine weren't too hard, i did opt out of taking a couple that i knew i would do shitty on though. as long as you know the material well you should be fine. it's just like any other test. look for practice tests if you feel unprepared.

which AP test is it?

AP World.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Honestly just go to the test, try not to get nervous, and you will probably just be able to fly through it. It pretty much is just based on your test taking skills at this point, and as long as you are a decent test taker you will be fine. Even if you aren't worrying now is not going to help.

Not saying for sure that this will be your experience, but I took 3 AP tests my senior year without cracking a book, or taking the actual class, and I did alright. If I can do it you can. They really are not that hard, especially the common sense ones, and World History shouldn't be that bad. Good luck though, but yeah try not to think about the actual results of the tests too much. There isn't much bad, and the good way outweighs it.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
AP World.

ugh, my school had european history instead of world and i hated it. didnt take the test. the US history test was easy though.

for the essays, i think its helpful to have a really good understanding of a few events, and being able to bullshit well enough to apply it to whatever theme necessary.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dude. APs are a joke, World, especially. I never got anything less than a 5 on an AP. Except that one time I got a 4 in Statistics, but that's just because math is for posers.

are you one of those over-achievers that pretends like they never studied? :whistling:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Honestly though, the only ones that I think are meant to be approaching any sort of a real challenge are those that involve any sort of math. The essay questions for some of the tests, a drunk money could answer and get a 5. You basically just have to hook on one thing and pretty much bs a novel about it. And honestly it costs like $100 to take the test or something, and $1000 to take the class in college so even if you don't do well you can at least say that you made a decent bet.

Not to say don't study because do for sure, but if you are prepared you will do fine. I sound cocky, but honestly it really is not that tough to pass some of the tests like psychology, unfortunately. They do not really ask for much.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
are you one of those over-achievers that pretends like they never studied? :whistling:

Heh. No, to the contrary, I worked my ass off and did well as a result. ;)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seriously, though, OP. Study the material, do as many practice tests as you can, and do you your best. If you survived the semester, you'll probably be fine for the exam.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm terrified, to be honest. Multiple choice portion and three essays to write in 2 hours. It's not even just the test. It's the environment--all of us crammed in a gym with long rows of tables. Strict rules and formalities. I don't feel prepared in any way. This is my first AP class, so I've never been through any of this. I feel like I won't meet the standards that are set for me by teachers and by myself. I can't bear to disappoint.

Experience? Tips? :shrug:

My tip to you is to get off these forums if you haven't already and go to bed early. If you're doing well in the class, you'll probably do just fine on the test. Don't pay attention to everyone else, but be mindful of the time and pace yourself accordingly. I never took any AP history classes, but the AP classes I did take and take the test for were generally not all that difficult. There is really no advice anyone can give that is specific to taking the AP tests. They're just like any other test; there's nothing special about them.

Keep in mind that the cost of taking an AP test is not nearly as much as the cost of taking a university course. If you do happen to do poorly, so what? You took a gamble and you lost. It happens. You'll still be at an advantage once you get to university because you took the class.

Actually, I do have one piece of advice regarding AP tests, but it's a bit too late considering your exam is tomorrow. Not every university accepts all AP test scores. The university that I planned to attend didn't accept the AP Spanish test, so there was no point in taking it. (Plus my AP Spanish class was a blow off class so I would've done poorly anyway, but that's besides the point.) No need to waste money.

At any rate, good luck!

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's too late to do any more studying. Get plenty of sleep and try not to think of it. It's no big deal if you do poorly on an AP exam.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
GOOD LUCK!!! I never took any AP tests because I didn't think I'd be good enough but most of my friends took them and did well. I'd get a good night's sleep, eat a good breakfast, and study with what time you have left before the exam!

á´…eparted

passages
I have my PhD oral prelim exam tomorrow morning. Let's commiserate! :D

I took four AP classes when I was in high school (Chemistry, Biology, Physics C, and Gov't & Politics). On the multiple choice portion, make sure you do not make wild guesses. Statistically it will hurt you more. Skip the questions you will have to sit and think about for a while, and come back to them at the end. When you get in there, you'll find you'll get in a rythym pretty quickly and zone in. Don't let it freak you out. If the first question or two stump you, skip them. Get answering things you know to build the confidance and flow.

/DG/

I have my PhD oral prelim exam tomorrow morning. Let's commiserate! :D

I took four AP classes when I was in high school (Chemistry, Biology, Physics C, and Gov't & Politics). On the multiple choice portion, make sure you do not make wild guesses. Statistically it will hurt you more. Skip the questions you will have to sit and think about for a while, and come back to them at the end. When you get in there, you'll find you'll get in a rythym pretty quickly and zone in. Don't let it freak you out. If the first question or two stump you, skip them. Get answering things you know to build the confidance and flow.

I thought there was no penalty for guessing on AP exams. Perhaps you're thinking of the SATs? Either that or they've changed them since you've taken them.

á´…eparted

passages
I thought there was no penalty for guessing on AP exams. Perhaps you're thinking of the SATs? Either that or they've changed them since you've taken them.

I took chemistry in 2006, and Biology, Physics C, and Gov't & Politics in 2007. I 100% remember there being penalty for guessing on chem and bio. I believe there was for phys and gov't as well. It might vary from exam to exam, and I took it a while ago so things easily could have changed.

/DG/

I took chemistry in 2006, and Biology, Physics C, and Gov't & Politics in 2007. I 100% remember there being penalty for guessing on chem and bio. I believe there was for phys and gov't as well. It might vary from exam to exam, and I took it a while ago so things easily could have changed.

Sorry, pal. Looks like you had it harder than me. I believe I took mine in 2011 and 2012. Psych, bio, and AB calc here.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/08/10/guess

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Alright, everyone! So I took the test this morning. The multiple choice portion was more difficult than I thought. And the essays were harder, mostly because I just couldn't remember the specific material they were asking me to write about. However, I place at least a small amount of confidence in my BS skills. My older brother told me that I'd be surprised at how low their standards are.

All in all, I'll be happy with a 2 or 3. The test completely wiped me out, though! I'll be lounging around the house like a wet pancake for the rest of the day.
Thanks for all your support! :)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Alright, everyone! So I took the test this morning. The multiple choice portion was more difficult than I thought. And the essays were harder, mostly because I just couldn't remember the specific material they were asking me to write about. However, I place at least a small amount of confidence in my BS skills. My older brother told me that I'd be surprised at how low their standards are.

All in all, I'll be happy with a 2 or 3. The test completely wiped me out, though! I'll be lounging around the house like a wet pancake for the rest of the day.
Thanks for all your support! :)

Glad it went sort of alright! Hm yeah, people place way too much emphasis on how hard those tests are. I think they believe that if you operate out of a place of fear with them you will be more likely to study to be more exacting, but yeah they really are no where near as hard as they are made out to be. Are you a junior?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Glad it went sort of alright! Hm yeah, people place way too much emphasis on how hard those tests are. I think they believe that if you operate out of a place of fear with them you will be more likely to study to be more exacting, but yeah they really are no where near as hard as they are made out to be. Are you a junior?

A sophomore, actually. (I frequently have to remind myself of that when I fret about the future.)