User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I think the most toxic environment I worked in was at Dana (they made drivetrain parts for Dodge and Chrysler)

The particular factory I worked at was nearly out of business and the only true "in house" people (aka blue shirts) worked first shift mostly, except maintenance and the fork lift drivers. Second shift was almost all temps and there practically wasn't a third shift, except when a handful of people wanted overtime.

Everyone else they had there were temps, just thrown in without giving a shit just to put bodies on the factory floor so that they could do something - anything at all. The hiring was so bad I was training new people every week because they'd work a few days and then either get fired or quit. It was miserable.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I took from moving from job to job whenever I got pissed off to moving departments at work while they pay for me to get more education

there's something about being somewhere a certain amount of time that just seems to break something in my brain so that I can't stand to work in that place any longer, though the fact that I'm very apt to speak my mind doesn't really help much... who knows HOW many bosses I've pissed off by this point. it mostly comes down to getting trapped in a position because I've angered someone with more power and they block me from advancing

in my current job I'm good enough at a variety of tasks that I was able to make demands and get sent to a very small department with a vital function which two of us run... I'll probably be leaving there before the year is up
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett

Garbage human

my current job by far but the paycheck is better than anything else i'm going to find and i have a kid. otherwise i'd be freelancing somewhere.
    'When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.'

-Cicero

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I took from moving from job to job whenever I got pissed off to moving departments at work while they pay for me to get more education

there's something about being somewhere a certain amount of time that just seems to break something in my brain so that I can't stand to work in that place any longer, though the fact that I'm very apt to speak my mind doesn't really help much... who knows HOW many bosses I've pissed off by this point. it mostly comes down to getting trapped in a position because I've angered someone with more power and they block me from advancing

in my current job I'm good enough at a variety of tasks that I was able to make demands and get sent to a very small department with a vital function which two of us run... I'll probably be leaving there before the year is up
    I'd be okay with this. Stagnation is what kills me, even after a few months of starting somewhere. Plus, having them pay for your education? How'd you go about finding jobs like that?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    I wonder how she was able to pull that off. I'm never in agreement, I find myself running from my ghost.

Politics does sound interesting though. Did she know people to get the job she has? I'm curious as to how that works.

I've been in the same place you were with fear of being reprimanded. Now that I have a Bachelor's in management, and where I'm working now, I don't feel as threatened because I'm one of their best employees and could most likely do the manager's job better than she can, but I might also be fearless enough to say that to her face.

Haha you never know. Maybe he'll find my LinkedIn profile first.
    Sorry, been absent.

Politics is easy enough to get into. Join a party, become active and prove you're a bigger baby than anyone else and you'll call their mummy bad names if they don't tow the line.

As for you current position, don't you worry you'll be blocked by other managers for fear you'll show them up?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Sorry, been absent.

Politics is easy enough to get into. Join a party, become active and prove you're a bigger baby than anyone else and you'll call their mummy bad names if they don't tow the line.

As for you current position, don't you worry you'll be blocked by other managers for fear you'll show them up?
    Haha probably. Maybe I'll watch House of Cards again and get some ideas. I only made it through like 5 episodes.

My manager makes it too easy. Even my supervisor today was like "you're really deserving of a raise...too bad our manager is Satan."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'd be okay with this. Stagnation is what kills me, even after a few months of starting somewhere. Plus, having them pay for your education? How'd you go about finding jobs like that?
    Jobs that pay at least some tuition aren't rare at all. Even companies that have entry level work (fast food is one).
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I spent 14 years in a pretty nasty place, I started working in a corporate environment as a teenager. They paid well for the Midwest, but they were stuck in the 70's in the worst of ways. My longest in my series of terrible bosses was not incompetent, but his management style mostly was fear and recrimination. An entitled arrogant ass of a top level manager managed the whole department. The dress code was Business, we worked in cubicles and weren't allowed to so much as have a cup of coffee, or put up a picture in them. With one South African gentleman in management taking it upon himself to police everything, including facial hair, wearing shirts that were not white, our tie knots, putting hands in our pockets.

The place was ripe with sexual harassment, shaming, micro-management, power cliques and marginalizing the weak. Because of that experience there, I've been essentially equipped to handle any unpleasant work situation in stride. But it took me a long time not to approach any work situation as a potential battle, or feeling comfortable with management that wants you to be comfortable.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Jobs that pay at least some tuition aren't rare at all. Even companies that have entry level work (fast food is one).
    Interesting. I've done it all wrong. I know where I work they offer free schooling for a bachelor's...for people who don't have one. So yeah. I'm looking more post-grad. I have heard there are a lot of places that offer post-grad tuition payments though. My dad was able to get his for 80% off basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I spent 14 years in a pretty nasty place, I started working in a corporate environment as a teenager. They paid well for the Midwest, but they were stuck in the 70's in the worst of ways. My longest in my series of terrible bosses was not incompetent, but his management style mostly was fear and recrimination. An entitled arrogant ass of a top level manager managed the whole department. The dress code was Business, we worked in cubicles and weren't allowed to so much as have a cup of coffee, or put up a picture in them. With one South African gentleman in management taking it upon himself to police everything, including facial hair, wearing shirts that were not white, our tie knots, putting hands in our pockets.

The place was ripe with sexual harassment, shaming, micro-management, power cliques and marginalizing the weak. Because of that experience there, I've been essentially equipped to handle any unpleasant work situation in stride. But it took me a long time not to approach any work situation as a potential battle, or feeling comfortable with management that wants you to be comfortable.
    I started watching Mad Men last week, and it sounds so similar. Like that mentality just up and left New York and headed west. But just Midwest.
    Likes Qlip liked this post

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I started watching Mad Men last week, and it sounds so similar. Like that mentality just up and left New York and headed west. But just Midwest.
    Oh, yeah, that's a good show, maybe my career experience is why I enjoy it. I like a lot of things about the Midwestern work ethic, but not much about the work culture. :P