• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do I decide on one career as an ambitious person?

unwittywisdombreath

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm currently being forced to decide on a career pathway for my next level of life. The truth is that there is no easy way to decide on one or a path at all especially if you do have options. I personally feel as if I'm a Jack-of-Most-Trades and it isn't hard for others to see. As an INFJ I don't like to feel pressured to take on real world jobs like accounting and business or the likes. I know I gravitate towards things like psychology and job types that deem beneficial to the community as I have a sense of giving back to and helping those around. As a highschool student, there are limitations to which pathways are realistic and those idealistic and I'm even being test next week on which options are suited accordingly from my results. Thus I'm conflicted with the current situation I've been required to assess yet I really don't want to ponder over anytime soon. :(

How do I decide what I want to do vs what I should do vs what I can do?
or more like
How would YOU decide what you want to do vs what you should do vs what you can do in the future?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm currently being forced to decide on a career pathway for my next level of life. The truth is that there is no easy way to decide on one or a path at all especially if you do have options. I personally feel as if I'm a Jack-of-Most-Trades and it isn't hard for others to see. As an INFJ I don't like to feel pressured to take on real world jobs like accounting and business or the likes. I know I gravitate towards things like psychology and job types that deem beneficial to the community as I have a sense of giving back to and helping those around. As a highschool student, there are limitations to which pathways are realistic and those idealistic and I'm even being test next week on which options are suited accordingly from my results. Thus I'm conflicted with the current situation I've been required to assess yet I really don't want to ponder over anytime soon. :(

How do I decide what I want to do vs what I should do vs what I can do?
or more like
How would YOU decide what you want to do vs what you should do vs what you can do in the future?

I assume this is parental pressure, since you are in high school. That said, you haven't had enough experience with life to even know what you're good at, what will be satisfying as a career or what you're interested in - you may never find that answer either. I would agree with testing to see what preliminary skills and interests you have but I wouldn't look at it as the absolute fit either.

raissaroars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think nothing can ever flow from this kind of pressure. When pressured, I was sure I want to go to law school; after the first semester, I just found out I want to be an internationalist. I know it's really important for most healthy INFJs to work for people and to try helping them, but the truth is: you should choose to work for yourself. I know it's hard, I know INFJs prefer to have a cause and to support people all the time, but you should choose something you love doing and then, eventually, you could help other people through your job.
For example, people say I'm really good at understanding other people; they say I'm really good at reading everyone and trying to find what they're hiding and that, for my great comprehension of the human nature, mind and body language, I should be psychologist. They say I'd help people that way. But I don't want to psychologist. Especially because I want my job to be involved with politics, sociology and economics. I adore studying and analyzing political/economical impacts on the world and the population as a whole; I also adore studying strategies and analyzing different, innovating scenarios. That's how I found out my biggest passion: international relations. And how could I use that to help people? Being a diplomat, working for UN, supporting an NGO or simply working for a social-related business. It'd be my biggest dream: to do what I truly enjoy and also help people. And, trust me: in each area you choose, there will be a way to help people. Also, you can always do your own thing and donate money or something. There's always a way.
I hope you can find something you love! Good luck!

devaf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think this is a well framed post that expresses your thoughts well.

I think that to develop the capacity to study well, with equal mindedness, without being disturbed by one's current preferences, can serve all students well. Of course, when following such a discipline one can and will come across work that is suitable, personality wise and in terms of one's circumstances too.

When in doubt, I believe it is better to focus more on science and math, as this will allow a greater choice when you progress and are surer of your decision.

I wish you all the best.

Last edited: