• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Koi bhi hindi-urdu bol sakte hain? Yahaan aiye!

MBTI Type
ENTP
Namaskaar aur salaam, priya doston!

Chunki ka-i log is mbti forum mein bhasha-sambandhit threads banaa rahe hain, mujhe lagaa ki hindi-urdu ki ek thread banaana acchaa hoga.

Main apne-aap, swayam, khud karke hindi-urdu sikhaa, aur donon hi lipion mein likh aur parh saktaa hoon, lekin urdu mein zyaadaa abhyaas nehi hota. Agar zyaadaa logon ko chahiye, to shaayad devnaagari ki lipi mein likhne ki suvidhaa ka intezaam kar sakoonga...

Lekin pehele, koi hai yahaan?

Mujhe lagtaa hai ki hindi-urdu-bhaashion ki kamti hogi, phir kam-se-kam maine koshish ki gayi hai.

Aur haan, agar meri hindi/urdu ki vyaakaraN/qavaaid mein koi ghalti ho, to mujhe meherbaani se kehe dijiyega.

P.S. Yeh to ekdam na-mumkin hai, lekin agar koi bangla mein bhi baat kar sakte hain, to phir bhi yahaan pe likh le... aamaar bangla hindi-che onek beshi bhaalo...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
see, I watch loads of Bollywood movies, but you don't need much Hindi to understand them because they switch into English every few sentences and that's enough for me to follow the plot :laugh:

years ago as a Muslim I became used to the sound of Urdu and could understand bits of it when spoken to me (enough to understand instructions given to me in the mosque which was llike 90% Pakistanis), but never got as far as reading it or making the sentences myself and most of it was guessed through the similarity to Arabic, which I have a very rudimentary grounding in :)

MBTI Type
ENTP
^

Kuch aasaani se aap seekh sakte hain... lekin lipi pehele se acchi tarah se jaannaa paregaa... jo bhi lipi... jaise ke aapko malum hoga...

("you could learn it quite easily... but first you'd have to really get to know the script... whichever script... as you know...")

As someone who's (evidently) mastered at least one foreign language, you'd probably find a good six months with urdu/hindi enough to get you quite fluent, considering your exposure to Bollywood... though I'd beg you to start checking out Urdu poetry and some of the better Hindi films (like "Do Bighaa Zameen") and see that speakers of Hindustaani aren't all about Shah Rukh Khan and Amitabh Bacchan...

I'm surprised you haven't encountered many Bangla speakers as well... England's chock-full of Muslim Bengalis (generally from East Bengal/Bangladesh, as opposed to West Bengal).

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL yeah I know, I take Bollywood with a HUGE pinch of salt!!

I've been working through a parallel text edition of some Upanishads and various Buddhist sutras. I'm starting to recognise certain words and to figure out the script. I've no problem with other alphabets - so far I can do Russian, Arabic, Norse runes, Greek and Japanese script (can read all of them but wouldn't testify to understanding everything I read lol), so y'know, different scripts don't scare me.

You know I think I will. I'm going away this week on retreat and I think you've just given me the project I was looking for to work on whilst I'm away. I'm gonna get a teach yourself Hindi book and work through it. You'd be amazed how much you can learn in a week when you spend 6 or so hours a day doing it :)

Maybe when I get back I'll be able to contribute to this thread properly!

MBTI Type
ENTP
^

I'm looking to do something similar with French, but Sanskrit's kicking my ass right now... probably the hardest language out there... except for Finnish and Chinese... and maybe Xhosa for the phonics involved...

Devnaagari and related Indic scripts are some of the most concise and exact scripts... so if you can deal with arabi or kaanji, devnaagari should be a piece of CAKE.

Ummid hai ki kuch jaldi se aapke saath hindustaani mein charcha kar sakoonga!

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
mujhe thorisi hindi ati hai. Main kuch hindi likh aur parh sakti hu. Par tumhari hindi meri hindi se zyaaaaaada acchi hai!

MBTI Type
ENTP
mujhe thorisi hindi ati hai. Main kuch hindi likh aur parh sakti hu. Par tumhari hindi meri hindi se zyaaaaaada acchi hai!

Hai, re! Aaj tak maine aapki post dekhi nehi! Kya aap bhaarat se hain, ya kisi aur jagah se? Phir bhi... bahut acchi baat hai... jitni thori si aapki hindi maine parhi hai, ekdam Theek lag rahi hai...

To kahaan se seekhi ya seekh rahe hain? Kuch bataaiye na?

Main aadha Rajput aur aadha Bengali hoon, lekin amriikaa mera janmasthaan hai... teen salon ke siva, main pardes mein rahaa... to jab aThaarah ka hua, faislah kiya ki main seekh loonga hindi-urdu aur bangla bhi, kyunki woh meri sanskriti ki hain... aaj, jab main hindustaan mein sair karta hoon, logon ke saath apni bhaashaaon mein carcaa kar saktaa aur woh mujhe prasanna kar deta hai.

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
Main amriikaa se hu. Par dil me hindustani hu. ;) K3G dekne ke bad, hindi aur bharat se pyar kiya. Uske bad faisla kiya ki hindi parhoongi. Lagta hai ki ap "bollywood" ki fan nahi?? mujhe bahhhhut pasand hai.

Vo filme to shuruat the. Kitab kharidi aur parhne lagi. Vo to kai sal pehele aur ab main bahut-si hindi bhul gayi. 2004 me bharat gayi aur mujhe asha hai ki jaooni ek bar aur.

(sorry if that is incomprehensible)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I went into the bookstore on my way to the monastery with the express intention of getting some resources to help me spend the week learning Hindi. However, searching three bookstores yielded "Teach Yourself Bengali" as the closest thing. So ha, I got that.

I can do the writing now, that only took about 3 days for me to grasp. And I'm just starting on the grammar and vocab, actually saying stuff. I don't know how close or mutually intelligible it is to other Indian languages but I'm guessing it's a close cousin.

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
ji haan, zaroor, main hindi bol sakti hoon! bol, likh, aur parh bhi sakti hoon lekin meri hindi thodi bahut galat hain kyunki voh meri matr bhasha nihin hai...Skool mein hume torture kiya gaya tha

"Yes, absolutely, I can speak Hindi. I can speak, write and also read it, but my Hindi is bad because it isn't my mother tongue. School tortured us with it. (Hindi, I mean.)

I'm not anti-Hindi or anything, definitely not. It's a beautiful language. I just wish I had better command over it.

*sigh* I prefer english any day...at least I'm more happy in this language!

And yes, Bengali and Hindi, and in fact most Indian languages and dialects spoken in the north of the country (India) are closely related. They're all from the Indo-European family of languages. So you'll find so many words having Sanskrit roots and being related to words from German, English, etc.