• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you have a CV?

Lark

Do you have a CV? Is it hardcopy or electric or some sort of multi-media youtube presentation?

I've been reading about networked or personal branded individuals as part of the reinvention of unemployment as free agency or being a free agent rather than being out of work or job seeking, now I personally dont support this because I think that it puts what are effectively structural problems onto the individual but the idea intrigues me too.

Is this all just hipster nonsense or what do you think?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you have a CV? Is it hardcopy or electric or some sort of multi-media youtube presentation?

I've been reading about networked or personal branded individuals as part of the reinvention of unemployment as free agency or being a free agent rather than being out of work or job seeking, now I personally dont support this because I think that it puts what are effectively structural problems onto the individual but the idea intrigues me too.

Is this all just hipster nonsense or what do you think?

Yes. It's a Microsoft Word document. Since I do consulting, we have to put it in proposals. I also have a LinkedIn profile which has some level of detail in it.

Lark

Yes. It's a Microsoft Word document. Since I do consulting, we have to put it in proposals. I also have a LinkedIn profile which has some level of detail in it.

Coincidentially I was reading an article in The Dublin Journal while I was typing that in which the author was saying that the LinkedIn and a consistent social media presence which showed consistent thinking, focus and "a thought out point of view" was more important than a CV!

There was a lot of content about how when choosing employees firms in the future will probably look for a personality best fit as much as competence, experience and qualifications.

I'm sort of unsure about this because I know I'd be as liable as the next person to be socially excluded, maybe more so given that I dont have the usual PC popular opinions and just dont fit in for an easy life. Also it sort of fits with a work as privilege rather than earnings means to an end sort of thing.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Coincidentially I was reading an article in The Dublin Journal while I was typing that in which the author was saying that the LinkedIn and a consistent social media presence which showed consistent thinking, focus and "a thought out point of view" was more important than a CV!

There was a lot of content about how when choosing employees firms in the future will probably look for a personality best fit as much as competence, experience and qualifications.

I'm sort of unsure about this because I know I'd be as liable as the next person to be socially excluded, maybe more so given that I dont have the usual PC popular opinions and just dont fit in for an easy life. Also it sort of fits with a work as privilege rather than earnings means to an end sort of thing.

I have about 1000 contacts on LinkedIn. What's more valuable than what I say about me is what others say about me there. I feel that the recommendations are really important. I have tried to give others thoughtful ones and they tend to respond in kind.

Lark

I'm thinking hard about all this because it interests me in a general social trending sense but also I'm think about career track changes in the up coming years from now, other sorts of helping professions, counselling maybe.

Although I have to confess I've thought about complete career changes too professions, tradesmen, even business planning but I'm not sure about some of those. They've always been of interest to me.

93JC

Yes, of course. I'm employed. I have a personal one for my own use (which admittedly I haven't updated in three years) and one that's written on my employer's letterhead and included in proposals.

You might as well have asked "Do you have a job?" I'm curious if there's anyone out there among the TypologyCentral who has a job and doesn't have a CV/résumé.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since I do consulting, we have to put it in proposals.
Same. I keep a record of all of my projects sorted by category/domain, then tailor and trim it to a page or two for any given proposal.

I'm gonna need to take LinkedIn more seriously. So much to keep up with in today's fast paced society or whatever

Beorn

Permabanned
Yes, of course. I'm employed. I have a personal one for my own use (which admittedly I haven't updated in three years) and one that's written on my employer's letterhead and included in proposals.

You might as well have asked "Do you have a job?" I'm curious if there's anyone out there among the TypologyCentral who has a job and doesn't have a CV/résumé.

People in certain government and union jobs who never bothered to keep a CV once they were hired in a secure position many years ago.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a CV, and have had one for years. It is a word-processor document that I generally provide as a pdf file. I am in the process of applying for a new job, and so I updated it recently and tailored for the specific position. I do not do anything on social media, including LinkedIn. These things seem like a minefield that can easily get out of your control and start to do you more harm than good, especially professionally. So far, my career has not suffered for avoiding them, but perhaps they are not considered as much in scientific careers. We'll see what happens with my current job search.

Lark

People in certain government and union jobs who never bothered to keep a CV once they were hired in a secure position many years ago.

I have to remain licenced and the agency which provides my licence has an online track of any change in job or address and also of training since registration so its kind of like a CV.

Just in case you meant social workers, doctors or other professionals like that.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, on paper just in case, pdf(best format to send it to someone because format of text is sure to stay the way you did them and everyone can open pdf) and docx or odt when im editing it. I dont think some multimedia or video CV is good, thats for portfolios in some fields and maybe job application if the job you apply to is on some field where you want to show your video edit skills or just shine naturally on camera, ofc not a good idea to make some wacky video for office work application..

Paloma

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I have one. It's required for just about any academic field. Literally every single person I work with has a CV and updates it at least biannually. It's an electronic document that outlines your education, experience in the lab/field/teaching, publications, professional presentations, and awards or grants that you've been given. Not much different from a resume except that the focus tends to be more holistic and encompasses your entire professional history, as opposed to a resume which tends to be tailored to a specific job.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
I like pulling CV axles...

The transmission is just around the corner. Feels like money at that point.

Doktorin Zylinder

I don't have one anymore. Well, I probably do but it's at least a few years out of date. After I was licensed, I was pretty much set. Most of my work comes from word of mouth and I've vouched for by references in the world of engineering. It's also not my primary source of income, anymore, as I'm self-employed in other areas as well.

Having read about the "personal branding" movement, I'm likely to chalk it up to hipster irony or something. I don't know; I'm not good with irony. I could see it if the person is a writer or photographer or something artistic who actually puts forth a personal style, but a personally branded engineer or secretary or HR person just sounds ridiculous.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Word Doc that has been repeatedly updated over the years. Linkedin as well.

The CV can only get you in the door at best, interviewing well gets you the job.