• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What career is this? (MQ career advice thread)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good luck. The Cook's Country/America's Test Kitchen team has a very good cookbook for beginners. I'd start with that.

I'm going to look that up on amazon as soon as I do this little thing online for work. They say I'll get a raise if I do it and get a screen printout.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good luck. The Cook's Country/America's Test Kitchen team has a very good cookbook for beginners. I'd start with that.

I just ordered this. I'll get it in 2 weeks.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I really like cooking, I get in the zone in the kitchen and I like making up new things. Useless at following recipes though, I see them more as guidelines than rules.

It'll be a while until I tackle Larousse Gastronomique then.

Good luck with cooking school!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I really like cooking, I get in the zone in the kitchen and I like making up new things. Useless at following recipes though, I see them more as guidelines than rules.

It'll be a while until I tackle Larousse Gastronomique then.

Good luck with cooking school!

Cooking is more of a guideline, I'll give you that. Baking is not, it's a science and that's what culinary schools will say too. America's Test Kitchen cookbooks and both Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country magazines are excellent for anyone, regardless of proficiency. Jamie Oliver's Cook With Jamie is another good one for beginners and The King Arthur Flour Baking Companion (although Baking with Julia is my personal favorite) is another comprehensive book.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good luck! Also, create as much recipes for your cookbook as you can so you can experiment and have others follow your cookbook! :p

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is there anything you can do with a sociology degree that doesn't directly deal with

Title:
clear.gif
Is there anything you can do with a sociology degree that doesn't directly deal with people? I'm majoring in sociology and find it really dull and boring and I definitely don't want to work with people, but I'm sticking with sociology because it's free and nothing else looks much better. What is there besides social work. I think I'd really dislike social work.

wolfy

awsm
If you are majoring in sociology, ask someone else doing that? You could be an anti-sociologist, lol. Could you stop thread tagging me all the time please. I get all excited at having a notification. Thread tag me if it is about training.

Don't piss your life away, do what you want to do. Life is short.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a degree in sociology and don't do anything with it

I throw around and stack heavy things (and sometimes get bossy or drive forklifts)

:shrug:

Nobody cares if I'm blunt or don't think before speaking if that's what you're wondering... I can be as much of an asshole as I want!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you are majoring in sociology, ask someone else doing that? You could be an anti-sociologist, lol. Could you stop thread tagging me all the time please. I get all excited at having a notification. Thread tag me if it is about training.

Don't piss your life away, do what you want to do. Life is short.
I really don't know what I want to do.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Title:
clear.gif
Is there anything you can do with a sociology degree that doesn't directly deal with people? I'm majoring in sociology and find it really dull and boring and I definitely don't want to work with people, but I'm sticking with sociology because it's free and nothing else looks much better. What is there besides social work. I think I'd really dislike social work.

Sociology is the academic study of social behavior, including its origins, development, organization, and institutions. So yeah, it's all about people. Why is this the ONLY schooling that is free for you? I realize you live in Louisiana but there are student loans, grants and scholarships available. Don't even go to college, learn a trade, apprentice at something.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sociology is the academic study of social behavior, including its origins, development, organization, and institutions. So yeah, it's all about people. Why is this the ONLY schooling that is free for you? I realize you live in Louisiana but there are student loans, grants and scholarships available. Don't even go to college, learn a trade, apprentice at something.

I also already did that to get my pharmacy tech certification...however, since I'm not completely satisfied, I'm planning on enrolling in the summer semester at the same technical school I got my technician liscense from. It may or may not be my passion, but the worst that can happen is I learn to cook well. My mother told me cooking school would be a waste of time, but I told her its my money, you know?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I also already did that to get my pharmacy tech certification...however, since I'm not completely satisfied, I'm planning on enrolling in the summer semester at the same technical school I got my technician liscense from. It may or may not be my passion, but the worst that can happen is I learn to cook well. My mother told me cooking school would be a waste of time, but I told her its my money, you know?

If cooking isn't your passion, don't do it. I've been asked a million times why I didn't go to culinary school. Answer - because it would become a job and not a fun, creative outlet for me anymore. Plus the hours and pay suck. I'm happy being a very good home cook and not a professional. I didn't want to work with people and I don't but for you, I don't think the isolated, work from home sort of career would be to your liking at all.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If cooking isn't your passion, don't do it. I've been asked a million times why I didn't go to culinary school. Answer - because it would become a job and not a fun, creative outlet for me anymore. Plus the hours and pay suck. I'm happy being a very good home cook and not a professional. I didn't want to work with people and I don't but for you, I don't think the isolated, work from home sort of career would be to your liking at all.

Working with the public day in and day out for the last 1 and 1/2 years is starting to hit a raw nerve. Sure, the occasional compliment was nice for a while, but people are soooo stupid and quantity is not the same as quality, you know? I'm pretty neutral about this tech job I have: the pay is great and I'm glad to just be able to go out and do something instead of wallow in my emotions...but it's not quite what I wanted.

I was passionate about writing a while, now it's "been there, got the t-shirt, now let's move on."