• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elementary school with no homework policy

DreamBeliever

There's a school that has decided on no homework for kids in pre-k through 5th grade, so that they have more time to play, read, & spend with their families. I think it's great! It would be my dream come true! How do you guys feel about it? What's your mbti type? What type(s) are most likely to be for it/against it?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FOR IT! ENFP 7w6

that's not to say that i think kids shouldn't be learning and engaging their brains at home, because i think that's very important. but homework from a text book or work sheets is ridiculous. they get that shit all day in school. let em be kids at home.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My goodness yes! Quit torturing the darned kids ... let them play!

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Straight up fuck homework.

School is already at the cusp of modernity's division of labor.

Dopa

MBTI Type
INTP
I mean, I don't get homework. Why don't they just make the school day longer, then? Is the only purpose of it to teach kids the self-discipline required to make themselves do it at home when they really don't want to? That seems dumb.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I remember when I was in 5th grade I really struggled with homework. I discovered that, while I REALLY wanted to play outside, I could just play outside after school with my friends and just attend "CAPS" which was our school's 'if you fuck up and don't do your homework, just do it here during recess and no penalties.' No punishments for not doing it at home except they call my mom to tell me I'm there? Sure. All day. EVERY DAY. I was called the CAPS Queen. :laugh:

I think if your child is struggling in classes, there should be some help somewhere. But most children are not struggling that much. There is so much time for kids to do homework. Don't torture the little ones.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
This should be adopted in elementary schools everywhere!

How I suffered...:boohoo:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
There's a school that has decided on no homework for kids in pre-k through 5th grade, so that they have more time to play, read, & spend with their families. I think it's great! It would be my dream come true! How do you guys feel about it? What's your mbti type? What type(s) are most likely to be for it/against it?

I think it's a good idea simply because I remember my own children having a ton every night. Not work they didn't complete in school, work that was strictly to do at home. Why? It never made much sense to me in the lowest grades, maybe K-3. I think there can be a bit of homework in grades 4-5.

Lark

In my ideal world there wouldnt just be no homework, school wouldnt begin until a child was seven or even older and there wouldnt be the problems with parental neglect or abuse that there are today.

á´…eparted

passages
I am against this. This is setting up students to learn bad habits and not be as successful as they could be. There needs to be a balance, but going from one extreme to the other is not the answer. And this is coming from someone who almost never did their homework in elementary school.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
It depends on the child.

But personally I'd be for it. I remember a teacher explaining that they thought homework was to demonstrate that a child could apply what they'd learned with concentration outside of a classroom setting.

I told her that's what play is for.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm curious whether the school eliminated homework simply and left it at that, or if they have a different policy or workspace intended to replace it, and what that might be.

As for type, I know I am a feeler with Ni and Se somewhere in my stack. Perhaps the type who wonders what the catch is.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm happy for them.

Now tell me when they stop forcing good and innocent children to commingle with bullies or children with bad parents.

Ingrid in grids

The primary school I went to gave no homework up until year 5. At that point, the homework was then aimed at preparing students for high school (high school is years 7 to 12 here). I thought the tasks were too simple and infrequent—usually one worksheet a week—to prepare students for the study load of high school.

I think I would have benefited from a greater study load in primary school, even if it was given as optional activities. For the most part, I found primary school slow and repetitive.

I am against this. This is setting up students to learn bad habits and not be as successful as they could be. There needs to be a balance, but going from one extreme to the other is not the answer. And this is coming from someone who almost never did their homework in elementary school.

Agreed.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And we see how you turned out, brushing off all that homework. I suppose if you had faithfully done it, you never would have made it into a PhD program. Does this make the preservation of elementary school homework just another elitist tactic to reduce grad school enrollment?

The primary school I went to gave no homework up until year 5. At that point, the homework was then aimed at preparing students for high school (high school is years 7 to 12 here). I thought the tasks were too simple and infrequent—usually one worksheet a week—to prepare students for the study load of high school.

I think I would have benefited from a greater study load in primary school, even if it was given as optional activities. For the most part, I found primary school slow and repetitive.
Most students would benefit from more challenge and more real work (as opposed to busy work or make-work) in elementary school. This could easily happen, at least within the U.S. system, without requiring much of any homework. There are plenty of other ways schools can help instill good habits in students, not to mention what their families should be doing at home.

I agree that learning is too important to be confined to the school day or entrusted entirely to the educational system. After school hours can accommodate these other types of learning, including not just play and free time (which involves more learning experiences than people often imagine), but also participation in sports, music or art lessons, hobbies, visiting local sites, learning practical skills like cooking or gardening around home, doing volunteer activities, or simply reading books. Until schools are prepared to cover the full gamut of these skills and experiences (and I don't think they should even try), students need their out of school hours to participate, especially at the younger ages. The same applies to older students as well, though work there often does need to go home, simply due to the nature and extent of the assignments.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I don't recall getting much homework in elementary school o_O

Except there would be a "project" each term, or some terms at least in like 5th grade, which was harder than most of what I've had to do through high school and university. I didn't like those.

Idk, I don't see it as a big deal. I do like the idea though of not having to take your school work home with you. I never saw much point to school anyway.

~ReggieRebel~

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w0
Instinctual Variant
sx
i completely disagree with this. when i was four, my mom was bragging to the neighbour about how smart i was. She had bought a slew of activity books from pre k up to grade 2. they were all about vocab and number patterns, and they had really cool stickers you could punch out and lick and stick on the completed worksheets. i loved it alot!!

but mom was bragging, and the neighbour had a son who she thought was a bad apple. she told my mom to limit my exposure to learning bc she had let her son get ahead with booklearning and as a result now he was messed up.

my mom, being a young, single parent, took what she said to heart. i never was allowed to do activities from that book again, amd by the time i got to kindergarden, i was way above everyone else. looking back i dont think anyone bothered to notice cuz who really learns stuff in kindergarden? but the problems started in grade one, where the teacher strted teaching us to read and write, and do simple math. i was bored out of my fucking skull and demanded they put me back in kindergarden where at least the day was my own to do as i pleased. i had learned to read years ago.

i suffered through first few months of first grade, then moved schools. teacher didnt know what to do with me so left me alone. Se ond grade was nice, by then i had read everything in the kids se tion of the library and demandd to be allowed to read other stuff. teachers said no.

by third grade, had had enough of school...it was a waste of time. teachers passed me with a++s but my mom flunked me cuz i 'never did any work'.

i rebeled the following year, got myself expelled for convincing my teachers that i really was in fourth grade. i had finally made it into a class where they taught something i didnt know. they were talking about times tables...the six times...anyway, i was in a split three four class. got expelled, moved to a private school where they had actually learnt the sixth through tenth times tables in second grade. (which i missed as i was now in third- which further frustrated me).

spent the rest of my school life (univerisity included) hating my neighbour and blaming my mom. and trying to play catchup. im extreemly smart, but i have had the ability to selfconciously study conditioned out of me. i either read and understand, or i dont. i never learnt how to succesafully 'try' at a given subject that was difficult and yet master it....though i have tried to learn to try. the sitting still and opening the book is the hardest part. but once the book is open, the knowledge is mine.

to the point where i am currently interested in computer coding and quality auditing but lack the conviction that my interest (ie ability to study) will last long enough for me to follow through with it to completion.

bottom line....never EVER deny a kid the opportunity to exersize their brain. yes, ive beem burnt bad. yes, im trying to get over it, and yes, i do believe that school s more a babysitting service than a 'your going to need this and that fact inyour head in order to make logic out of adulthood. but even so....denying knowledge is a cruel thing....especially when it is done in the name of 'preserving childhood'.

p.s. i have made up for this a bit. each year or two i take up a new summer project. one year was pnysics, one was astronomy, one was indonesian and arabic. and now im pursuing computer science. but the past few subjects, while i understand what i know perfectly well, and it wasnt hard, they dont really interest me enough to justify the time it takes to think through the logic that is coded in the print. being the linguist i am, i cant just look at a bunch of symbols and see 2+2 equals 4. i have to follow the logic behind it each time i look. i read the statement, i follow the logic. aghh..nevermind. that example s too simple to do justice and its too complicated to explain how characters designate a symbol, that is shortform for words. most see the symbol and memorize the symbol's symbolic responce. i see the symbol, and read the logic printed in it, and then remember what the responce should be. anyway. im going to stop now. im off on a tangent. sorry.

LonestarCowgirl

I don't recall getting much homework in elementary school o_O

Except there would be a "project" each term, or some terms at least in like 5th grade, which was harder than most of what I've had to do through high school and university. I didn't like those.

Idk, I don't see it as a big deal. I do like the idea though of not having to take your school work home with you. I never saw much point to school anyway.

I remember that 5th grade project! It was hard! I thrived on competition though. My project turned out to be so cool I won an award for it with a ribbon and it ended up at the local rodeo on display. No kidding.

Oh man, that reminds me, I got pretty fancy with science fair projects in middle school! I practically melted the teacher's desk.