• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Last 25% of College Courses

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
can't be taken at a community college and transferred is. There is some Academic Regulations Appeals Committee that will consider appeals. My question is why? I am so poor and I really can't afford to pay out of pocket for these courses that I could take at the community college and save money. Approximately 1400 dollars would be saved for 3 courses. I don't think the appeals committee will give enough of a damn about me to factor in that I really can't afford to pay for college in the first place(financial aid cut me off), nor will they allow me to go against their policy. I tried to call today and they make themselves completely unavailable. The committee only meets semimonthly which gives me no time to actually prepare a case.

Is this policy the same at all the colleges? Why? Are they really that greedy?

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj

I'm fairly certain this is the case for every college. Community colleges only give out AA degrees and certificates. They do not offer the higher level classes that are required to get a BA or BS degree. You must transfer to a 4-year college or university in order to earn that.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm fairly certain this is the case for every college. Community colleges only give out AA degrees and certificates. They do not offer the higher level classes that are required to get a BA or BS degree. You must transfer to a 4-year college or university in order to earn that.

It sounded like he was referring to courses that ARE offered at the CC. If he had taken them first, they could have transferred in, but since he's taking them last, he has to take them at the institution from which he plans to graduate. That does seem a little wacky at first glance, although it's possible there's more to the story.

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP

Yes, I am aware of this. But the thing is, the courses I need to graduate are offered at the community college. I would save a lot of money by taking the courses at the community college and transferring them in to graduate.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If you hadn't made swiss cheese out of the forum you could be doing that right now. Don't blame us!

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
It sounded like he was referring to courses that ARE offered at the CC. If he had taken them first, they could have transferred in, but since he's taking them last, he has to take them at the institution from which he plans to graduate. That does seem a little wacky at first glance, although it's possible there's more to the story.

Yes, I am aware of this. But the thing is, the courses I need to graduate are offered at the community college. I would save a lot of money by taking the courses at the community college and transferring them in to graduate.

Oh. Ohhhh! I got it now.

I bet that a big portion of it is that they do want as much money from you as possible. Although I'm sure that they don't want someone to come in, take one credit, and get a diploma with the name of their school on it.

Also, if lots of students started taking all of their credits at CC because it is less expensive, then maybe fewer people would attend the University for all four years.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? Yes. Here's why. Because colleges are a business. While I believe that educations should be subsidized because they are positive network externalities, the case for you is this:

Either the extra costs are a good investment for you that your higher salary for having that degree pays off, or they're a bad investment that will not be returned by your higher income and so you should take what you can get and make your way in this world through sheer hard work at a lower pay and prove your worth in other ways.

Yes, it's cold, but that's the way it is right now, and I wish it could be changed, but at the moment, I don't have enough power to change the system.