• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

learning styles and type

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Visual (includes reading) v. auditory v. hands on learning

Hands on

Large group, small group, just you and the teacher, learning on your own

me and the teacher/on my own

on line class v. traditional class

unconventional - i'd like to have class in a park

learn at your own pace v. guided learning (must stick to set schedule)

at my own pace

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
auditory in combination of hands on

me and the teacher/on my own or a small group

traditional class

combination of both. It depends on the subject some subjects I do great on my own others I need that extra push.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Learning styles and type, are they completely unrelated?

The main distinction I see in learing styles are:

My preference is visual and hands on and learning on my own. I do much better learning things by myself, working at my own pace. I did pretty good in school, but I think I would have learned much more if they just left me in the library by myself for the whole day. I am wondering if part of this is being introverted or maybe INTJ or maybe unconnected.

I would be interested in hearing how other people learn best and if they think it relates to their type or not.

Ilah

Introverted Thinkers tend to learn best through solitary contemplation.

Thus it would be best for them to engage in slow moving, one-on-one discussions and lengthy solitary readings as opposed to learning with a congregation.

Extroverted Thinkers are the opposite. The more their thoughts are vocalized, the sharper their intellect turns. As one ENTJ suggested, the best school for an ENTJ would be where two professors argue in class.

Extroverted Sensors learn best through hands on application.

Introverted Sensors learn best through quiet collection of facts and concrete information. Typical lecture serves them best.

Extroverted Intuitives learn best through exchange of ideas. Unlike the Extroverted Thinkers, discussion is preferred to debate, as they engage with the external world merely to process ideas, not to analyze them.

Introverted Intuitives learn best by sitting back and quietly collecting abstract information. Typical lecture would serve them best as well.

Extroverted Feelers learn best when all members of discussion bring relevance to ideas concerning their personal experiences and how this relates to society by and large.

Introverted Feelers learn best when direct applications to the human element are evinced. Unlike the Extroverted Feeling type, the Introverted Feeling type is concerned not with how personal experiences relate to society, but what they mean to the narrator. Participation from all members of the audience is not required, nor is the frequent sharing of sentiment. In fact it is even best that it manifests implicitly rather than explicitly, but the connection to the human element must be manifest to the Introverted Feeler in order to become motivated to learn.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Introverted Thinkers tend to learn best through solitary contemplation.

Thus it would be best for them to engage in slow moving, one-on-one discussions and lengthy solitary readings as opposed to learning with a congregation.

Extroverted Thinkers are the opposite. The more their thoughts are vocalized, the sharper their intellect turns. As one ENTJ suggested, the best school for an ENTJ would be where two professors argue in class.

Extroverted Sensors learn best through hands on application.

Introverted Sensors learn best through quiet collection of facts and concrete information. Typical lecture serves them best.

Extroverted Intuitives learn best through exchange of ideas. Unlike the Extroverted Thinkers, discussion is preferred to debate, as they engage with the external world merely to process ideas, not to analyze them.

Introverted Intuitives learn best by sitting back and quietly collecting abstract information. Typical lecture would serve them best as well.

Extroverted Feelers learn best when all members of discussion bring relevance to ideas concerning their personal experiences and how this relates to society by and large.

Introverted Feelers learn best when direct applications to the human element are evinced. Unlike the Extroverted Feeling type, the Introverted Feeling type is concerned not with how personal experiences relate to society, but what they mean to the narrator. Participation from all members of the audience is not required, nor is the frequent sharing of sentiment. In fact it is even best that it manifests implicitly rather than explicitly, but the connection to the human element must be manifest to the Introverted Feeler in order to become motivated to learn.

Hmmm, I like to process and analyze ideas. Guess I'm a weird ENFP....:(

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First, I like to read and/or listen to others, while interjecting questions in order to clarify points if appropriate (otherwise, I will wait til the end). Second, I like to mull everything over in my head - puzzling over fantasy scenarios, testing out different ideas, seeing the value of this or that - sometimes I jot down notes or ideas because they are often flighty so I have to do that or else I will forget in the torrent of other ideas that just pop up. Third, I talk with a small group of people to sort of test out my ideas in spoken form. Then, after clarifying everything, I love to engage in all out WAR against the other group - ahem - I mean debate - ahem. Usually at this time, I also see the impact to others which may or may not have been clear from the start. Right, then I like to utilize this time to test out my ideas, others' ideas, and see which one is best. Then, I filter it through my own perceptions. At the end of class, I like to see which one is the best idea - not as a final answer - that almost never happens - but as a springboard to do more thinking and analyzing and talk with others whenever the opportunity arises.

DOH!!!! Do any of you other ENFPs do this?!?! :shock:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ohhhh, one big difference: Sometimes if I am doing something really specialized, I like one-on-one. Often, I will wait until after class and ask the teacher a question directly or have a session where I just talk about something else because usually my brain goes off on a tangent, and I want to have my question answered BUTTTTT, I do not want to distract the class. SO I will wait until afterwards. But I'm too flighty to spend like, an hour, talking to the professor - usually just 10 or 15 minutes after class and then I think and talk with others and refine my ideas. :yes:

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

A ton of Ni's completely tune out during lecture--their own minds and ideas take over. Independent study on topics of interest, or chances to creatively explore ideas through their own inventiveness are often their preferred modes.

Ne's often drive to move beyond discussion to creation of new ideas--they're motivated to learn when they have chances to gather knowledge to convey it to others, for example. I remember an ENTP boss for example volunteering us (her 4-person team) to give a day-long workshop on a just-surfacing issue. When we pointed out we knew nothing about it, she said, "Neither do they. This is your perfect chance to learn..."

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
My personal experience matches what edcoaching said about Ni. I don't do well at all in a lecture. I assumed this to be an auditory v. visual thing. I did well in school, but only because of what I learned at night from the books.

I like the exhange of ideas as well, but then I also ranked high in Ne according the the test at congnitveprocess.com. One of may favorite classes was called "seminar" style and it was mostly group discussion with the instructor moderating and adding his own insights.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i have taken quite a few learning type quizes and every time they say i'm very mixed. pretty much equal across the board. i've read that ENFP's do like variety in learning. once again, MBTI shocks me with its accuracy.

on the big group vs small group theory, i disagree that E's necessarily like big groups. when the group is too big, only a few people talk. everyone else is afraid of being wrong or saying something stupid. lots more conversation in a small class. for that reason, i like the latter.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
First, I like to read and/or listen to others, while interjecting questions in order to clarify points if appropriate (otherwise, I will wait til the end). Second, I like to mull everything over in my head - puzzling over fantasy scenarios, testing out different ideas, seeing the value of this or that - sometimes I jot down notes or ideas because they are often flighty so I have to do that or else I will forget in the torrent of other ideas that just pop up. Third, I talk with a small group of people to sort of test out my ideas in spoken form. Then, after clarifying everything, I love to engage in all out WAR against the other group - ahem - I mean debate - ahem. Usually at this time, I also see the impact to others which may or may not have been clear from the start. Right, then I like to utilize this time to test out my ideas, others' ideas, and see which one is best. Then, I filter it through my own perceptions. At the end of class, I like to see which one is the best idea - not as a final answer - that almost never happens - but as a springboard to do more thinking and analyzing and talk with others whenever the opportunity arises.

DOH!!!! Do any of you other ENFPs do this?!?! :shock:

dude, i do that all the time! i usually whisper to my class buddy and try and figure things out with him. pisses people off sometimes :p. if i'm sure i see something that everyone else is missing or i'm just sure that i'm right, i jump right into the big conversation. i do both quite a lot.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Visual and hands on is the best for me. And I learn best by myself. I think that all that time in school where the teacher lectured us was pretty much a waste of time. Seven hours? Come on. I could have done it much faster if you would have just left me to it. Also, if I get into a group, I tend to talk crap more than work, so that's not very effective. I can also do well in a partnership situation.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
my preferences are visual, small group, traditional, setting and personal pace.

that's very true for me. i almost failed a freshman science class that introduced the basics of chemistry and physics. on the other, if i had to research those topics to find my supporting my spiritual belief, i'd push myself to find out as much as i could. chances are, however, even after all that research, i wouldn't truly understand what i had "learned."