• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

learning styles and type

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Learning styles and type, are they completely unrelated?

The main distinction I see in learing styles are:

Visual (includes reading) v. auditory v. hands on learning

Large group, small group, just you and the teacher, learning on your own

on line class v. traditional class

learn at your own pace v. guided learning (must stick to set schedule)

My preference is visual and hands on and learning on my own. I do much better learning things by myself, working at my own pace. I did pretty good in school, but I think I would have learned much more if they just left me in the library by myself for the whole day. I am wondering if part of this is being introverted or maybe INTJ or maybe unconnected.

I would be interested in hearing how other people learn best and if they think it relates to their type or not.

Ilah

Didums

They are absolutely related imo. I think it mostly has to alot to do with S vs N.

Well these both seem S oriented to me, I'd like to see a poll made or something to see what people prefer (and it would have to be an open poll so we could see their type).

This one is easier, E vs I.

Hmm, this one is wierd. It could be either E vs I, or P vs J.

Definitely P vs J. Even in a guided scedule at school I go by my own pace.. due dates are flexible :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well I prefer learning on my own, which I suppose has to do with introversion. As for visual, auditory, or hands-on, I'd say that I prefer visual the most and hands-on the least. In grade-school I used to hate hands-on experiments, and I believed that I was incapable of learning anything in such a manner. As to guided learning or learning at my own pace, I'd say that I overwhelmingly prefer the latter. That being said, I have come to realize the importance of guided learning because it promotes action and discipline.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
may not make sense

Semantic and scheduled. No homework. Very theoretical subject matter for lone voluntary learning.

=impossible early on. =My paradox.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
heavy visual with a slant towards hands-on. Aural is a total dead loss for me, as I forget what I'm told within minutes of being told it, most of the time. And learning on my own, at my own pace, though combined with some big group/small group stuff. IOW I like to do my learning and reading and stuff alone, then meet up with other people and talk about it, bounce ideas off them and stuff and that not only clarifies things and consolidates them in my head, but also allows me to get any stuff I might've missed.

Just learning in classrooms with schedules though, drives me insane and I lose all motivation and invariably quit.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
For me:
Auditory, small group, traditional, guided.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
highly visual (pictures/graphs, not words) for learning theoretical stuff, hands-on for learning practical stuff.

Small group is best.

Never taken an online class, but I doubt I'd learn much.

I need guided learning and deadlines, because otherwise I don't have the motivation to sit down and actually learn, I just procrastinate forever.

I'm not sure that any of this is type-related, though, at least for me.

alicia91

I'm exactly the same as Randomnity. While I'd like to answer that I'd prefer to learn at my own pace -- it just ain't going to work. Nothing would get done.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When tearing down, say, an International's rear brake drum assemblies, I wanted to see my boss do it first and observe everything done correctly, then mimic.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Visual, auditory, and kinesthetic (the hands on) are often referred to as learning modalities rather than style and there was a great summary of research on them in The American Educator that basically reported that matching modalities doesn't improve student performance because the modality has to match the content. For example, you have to read to learn to read (visual). You can't become a lab expert without performing the lab experiments (kinesthetic and different from learning the theories via texts).

Most type ed experts consider S and N of great importance, as Didums pointed out. I find the next most important is E and I when training classroom teachers because I teachers see E behavior as misbehavior. E teachers see I behavior as lack of motivation (those are generalizations but ones that are backed up by tons of teacher interviews). ALL the preferences matter but teachers can't plan for 16 types right off the bat and suggesting that they should sends them running for the exit doors.

I guess I emphasize figuring out strategies for when you have to work outside your comfort zone, since anyone who goes very far in education will need to do so. For example, I flunked the freshman chem titration lab 22 times--it requires Se and I"m dominant Ni. It's kinesthetic and I'm visual. I had to learn to turn off Ne completely by counting drops out loud, marking them off, etc., to pass it--and we had to pass 8 such labs with no less than an A to pass Freshman Chem, so I was motivated!

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was always fascinated by the Dalcroze eurhythmics training method and the Kodaly system, which advocated universal musical education... musical training is a great boost to other kinds of knowledge-acquisition, particularly in maths... and aside from sports, there are few disciplines as mind-body involved as music and dance...

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Visual and hands-on. I, just like Substitute, have terrible verbal memory and sometimes even forget what we're talking about as we're talking about it.

By myself. Though I do like classroom settings and discussions, provided it's after I've learned the material well enough to be confident in a discussion. Or provided I've progressed enough in whatever I've been working on for a critique to make sense.

Traditional class. Taking something online would only have me zoning out and going and messing around on the internet instead of "being in class."

A little of both. I like to work at my own pace, but I also NEED deadlines or else I won't bother to do a good job of anything. At the same time, what I don't need is someone micromanaging me. If I get that, I lock up and do exactly what the micromanager doesn't want me to do. (Probably in some passive aggressive attempt to regain control over work that is mine and not theirs.)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I learn best through intimate and engaging discussion/discourse/debate.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Learning styles and type, are they completely unrelated?

The main distinction I see in learing styles are:

i think i prefer:
*visual, auditory and hands on
*small group or learning on my own if ppl are distracting me as opposed to helping me
*traditional class
*learning at my own pace

Decon

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w1
Going to an Alternative high school where the teachers each had a different style or teaching helped me strengthen where I was work and keep my skills up is what I was proficent and exceled in. So I'd have to say I'd do well in any style as long as I have my Zune playing my Metal playlist.

ygolo

My termites win
I am Visual and Kinesthetic. Visual presentation of concepts is very important for me to learn theory. Symbolic presentation (as in using equations) is second best. Words in english leave too much ambiguity for my tastes.

I like hands on learning. I hate learning something and not applying it in some way. I like to see things work in the real world. I am somewhat lazy however. So the hands-on learning ought not take too much energy or be tedious.

I am generally a reflectve learner, I like to learn my thinking for log times about the concepts I am learning--playign with them in my head, and dreaming up things to do.

I am a global learner. I like to see the big-picture and connections to other subjects/concepts. I usual find sequences of material to be rather arbritrary.

I understand things more quickly when presented in a deductive format, but I remember things longer when concepts are taught inductively. So a good mix is probably best. Inductive followed by deductive followed by Inductive feels like the most effective for me.

I learn a lot more on my own than in a guided format. Infact, even in the guided formats, I was most successful when the guided format is so slow that I've done my full exploration by them we move modules or subjects.

I like discussion after I've done a lot of thinking about subjects. So solatary work followed by group work is best for me.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Visual and auditory

Definitely Learning on my own! With a teacher could also be good.

No class. Just regular meetings with the professor/expert.

Schedule please.

Worst case scenario: large class with no set schedule, little teacher interaction one on one, and no regular testing.