• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

common core: kids must know how read to leave kindergarten

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasn't completely disagreeing with you, I'm just saying it wasn't 100% correct and if you're gonna be a dick about it then forget it. I was talking about reading not spoken language which I also had delays in. but I was talking about reading. and I'm telling you that I was read aloud to every night from the time i was an infant til about 8 and it was not until i was taught how to sound out the words that i began to learn how to read.

I wasn't trying to be a dick about it, but I had 50 years of psycholinguistics to cover in two paragraphs lol

Your situation is an example of not being taught with the method that worked for you. Some kids can be read to and learn that way. I'm guessing you aren't an aural learner? Was he showing you the book when he had you sound out the syllables, pointing out the syllables to you? Did he have you repeat the sounds after him?

Those are visual and kinetic learning methods. I'm a visual learner. If I can't something I'm unfamiliar with being done, particularly math, science, and music, I have a lot of trouble understanding it. I can't just have it explained to me and be able to fully understand it. So like I said, learning to read is accidental more than anything. We're guessing at why one way works for one person and doesn't for another. All of the science that's been done has only come up with the ways that can work, we can't predict why something works for one person and not for another. And when teachers have a whole bunch of kids with individual styles of learning, stuff like what happened to you happens. They should have covered more ways of learning it with you, but they didn't.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wasn't trying to be a dick about it, but I had 50 years of psycholinguistics to cover in two paragraphs lol

Your situation is an example of not being taught with the method that worked for you. Some kids can be read to and learn that way. I'm guessing you aren't an aural learner? Was he showing you the book when he had you sound out the syllables, pointing out the syllables to you? Did he have you repeat the sounds after him?

Those are visual and kinetic learning methods. I'm a visual learner. If I can't something I'm unfamiliar with being done, particularly math, science, and music, I have a lot of trouble understanding it. I can't just have it explained to me and be able to fully understand it. So like I said, learning to read is accidental more than anything. We're guessing at why one way works for one person and doesn't for another. All of the science that's been done has only come up with the ways that can work, we can't predict why something works for one person and not for another. And when teachers have a whole bunch of kids with individual styles of learning, stuff like what happened to you happens. They should have covered more ways of learning it with you, but they didn't.

oh i thought you were calling me a liar. yeah we looked at the words together and he would sound them out or be like ok so you know this letter makes that sound and had combine them. but I am not an aural learning at all i'm very kinetic, like i don't do well in lecture courses because unless i'm doing something to reinforce what i've learned I won't retain it. I rely on flash cards for tests. It was 20 years ago so of course my memory isn't 100% but i do remember us sitting on are parents bed and i had book with a picture of a kitten on it. I don't remember what I see and I don't remember what I hear most of the time, so I'm learning how to convert binary to decimal, decimal to binary, hexadecimal to decimal, decimal to hexadecimal, binary to hexadecimal, and hexadecimal to binary. I have the rules written in my notes but I just practice them so i drill to steps into my head, if i read how to do 100000 times i wouldn't grasp it. it's not until I am taken through a new task step by step with explanation for a new thing that i begin to understand it.

Mole

Permabanned
Fostering a love of reading isn't the same as teaching them to read. They could have bought you the entire New York Public Library and you wouldn't be able to read any better at two years old than if they didn't give you a single book at all.

We're talking about cognitive processes, not developing a lifestyle.

The facts are that children from literate households full of books learn to read and write more easily and better than those from impoverished households.