• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How not to feel guilty about resigning.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ever since I resigned from the company I worked for, I started feeling a bit guilty about leaving them. After all these times of being trained and training new workers and meeting co-workers (both obscenely great and bad.) The bitterness I feel about me leaving still sort of linger, but this blog helped me to understand that I am not the only one to feel it, and it is only natural if a company isn't offering what you wanted out of the company to look for new horizons or have new horizons handed to you when the company isn't offering it(ignore the title of the blog, one can understand the perspective just not thinking about Millenials).

Maybe it'll help some of you guys at TypoC who feel guilt when leaving a company for a new one often.

Five ways to feel less guilty quitting — and why Gen Y feels guilt giving notice | Penelope Trunk Careers

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you meet any requirements of your employer to remain with them for a specified period in exchange for training?
Did you give them proper notice when you decided to leave?
Did you do your best to train a replacement or hand off your work to others?
Did you do the best job you could for them, right up to your last day?

If so, you have nothing to feel guilty about. Work is a business transaction. If you held up your part of the deal, as they presumably did by paying you, all is well. Remember: loyalty works both ways. Does anyone there feel guilty that you left?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did you meet any requirements of your employer to remain with them for a specified period in exchange for training?
Did you give them proper notice when you decided to leave?
Did you do your best to train a replacement or hand off your work to others?
Did you do the best job you could for them, right up to your last day?

If so, you have nothing to feel guilty about. Work is a business transaction. If you held up your part of the deal, as they presumably did by paying you, all is well. Remember: loyalty works both ways. Does anyone there feel guilty that you left?

I doubt they feel guilty that I left, besides the fact that managers tried to get me to stay (managers always try to get people resigning to stay as a contingency plan.) I also patched things up with co-workers.

But yes, what I've learned while deciding to leave was that it tends to be customary to give a 2 weeks notice (willing to train new person, willing to answer questions... etc.) During that time, managers may see fit to let you go early.

Requirements?

I did the job at the best of my abilities. When called (and available) I'd be one of the people to be there.

I've waited for a time period where business started slowing (business was not slow between October-Christmas.)

Knowing my co-workers that I've worked with at this time. They'd do juuuuuuuuusssssttt fine on the work without me. I did train a few of them to use certain tools when they first started, so they'd adapt to them in time.

So, I actually feel a whole lot better that I went through with it (for now.)

What I did was many times better than another co-worker that just got straight up and left without warning.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I doubt they feel guilty that I left, besides the fact that managers tried to get me to stay (managers always try to get people resigning to stay as a contingency plan.) I also patched things up with co-workers.

But yes, what I've learned while deciding to leave was that it tends to be customary to give a 2 weeks notice (willing to train new person, willing to answer questions... etc.) During that time, managers may see fit to let you go early.

Requirements?

I did the job at the best of my abilities. When called (and available) I'd be one of the people to be there.

I've waited for a time period where business started slowing (business was not slow between October-Christmas.)

Knowing my co-workers that I've worked with at this time. They'd do juuuuuuuuusssssttt fine on the work without me. I did train a few of them to use certain tools when they first started, so they'd adapt to them in time.

So, I actually feel a whole lot better that I went through with it (for now.)

What I did was many times better than another co-worker that just got straight up and left without warning.

Glad you're feeling bettter about it all now, after review. It can be hard to leave, but when you step back and assess (like you did above), it sounds like you did things with integrity and fairly. I've seen a lot of people leave companies in the lurch, and I've seen companies leave their employees in the lurch, and you seemed to have been very responsible and probably gave more than some might expect (such as waiting for the busy season to end); that was really considerate not just to the company but to your coworkers who would have had to shoulder the load.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
deplete your soul hang out with not good people. any of those things will less your guilt

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even if they have really good cultures filled with nice people, I've learned that most (only slightly less than all) companies especially for-profit will drop your ass when it comes to the bottom line. It's important to understand that you're in a business relationship with your employer and your co-workers for that matter. Work-life can get stone-cold sometimes.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Glad you're feeling bettter about it all now, after review. It can be hard to leave, but when you step back and assess (like you did above), it sounds like you did things with integrity and fairly. I've seen a lot of people leave companies in the lurch, and I've seen companies leave their employees in the lurch, and you seemed to have been very responsible and probably gave more than some might expect (such as waiting for the busy season to end); that was really considerate not just to the company but to your coworkers who would have had to shoulder the load.

With all honesty, in the end, all I care about was to not burn too many bridges as I may need the references there in the future (I doubt it, but you never know.) But I did think about my co-workers though. :D Though I'm not too trustworthy about my co-workers (some of them,) all of them did cooperate well with me when we were doing our jobs (while they themselves had issues with other co-workers.) Least I could do was leave when they weren't being pushed back to back with work.

deplete your soul hang out with not good people. any of those things will less your guilt

Strangely enough, I had my fair share of getting annoyed by my co-workers (as evidenced by my other thread) because I'm the type of person that hate having to gossip about the people that I am working with. But, generally speaking, I don't mind the people that I work with, just as long as I kept their attitudes and my temper in check.

Even if they have really good cultures filled with nice people, I've learned that most (only slightly less than all) companies especially for-profit will drop your ass when it comes to the bottom line. It's important to understand that you're in a business relationship with your employer and your co-workers for that matter. Work-life can get stone-cold sometimes.

Yes! That is the thing that I am coming to grasp with. They'd be willing to drop me, even if I was loyal or hard-working, just to save a few bucks if they wanted to. I went into working at that place expecting to not get overly emotional with most of the people because I was expecting that I'd probably won't see them much in the future (I have bigger plans than to be stuck there for years [some people have worked there for 5-10 years....shocking!]).

doodledee19

MBTI Type
INFJ
It's really sweet of you to care, but as someone who's going through the same thing right now, it's okay. :)

In the long-run, it's best for the company to have someone who truly wants to be there. And more importantly, it's good for you to focus your energy on your next step in life.

Good luck.