• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Deutscher Diskussionsfaden!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hier ist ein Diskussionsfaden für all die, die auf Deutsch schreiben wollen. Ob Muttersprachler, Linguisten, Neuphilologen, oder Studenten - alle sind herzlich willkommen!

Na, dann wollen wir mal?! :D

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Gute Idee! Ich werde etwas schreiben, wenn ich etwas interessant zu sagen haben. Ich weiss, dass ich die Uebung bestimmt brauche.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Gute Idee! Ich werde etwas schreiben, wenn ich etwas interessant zu sagen haben. Ich weiss, dass ich die Uebung bestimmt brauche.

Schön!!! Freue ich mich darüber! Eine Person überredet!!! :hug:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
ich hab' fast alle mein deutsch vergessen, est ist schon fast 15 jahre als ich es 'nutzen hab und trotzdem, ich bin blau am moment,...

alors, euh je ne me souviens pas l'allemande que j'ai appris y a des annees....

ich verstehe fast alles aber ich weiss nicht 'was sagen... :(

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
:D Gibt es jemand, der mir mit Deutsch helfen wollen? :D Wir koennen sprechen und tanzen und ins Kino gehen und...lol.

Dieser Sommer habe ich Deutsch vergessen. Ich muss ueben.

Didums

May I ask what you need it for? Then I can give you a better answer.

I don't "need" it really, I just have this desire to learn the language. I didn't like spanish so I'm not taking a 3rd year of it. But I think that knowing another language is important and opens your mind to different styles of communication.

To restate the question: Whats the best way to learn German? Online program? Community College?

Ich will Deutsch lernen!!!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Ich habe das Gefuehl, dass dieser Diskussionsfaden sich in eine Liste der Ehrenkraenkung verwandeln werde. Sie sind alle Schlampen!

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Ich auch, ueberhaupt. Vergiss es.

Vergiss es?! NEIN, WIR MUESSEN ES MACHEN! An der Strasse! NUN!

L_Linguist, bist du Linguisten? Ich moechte Sprachwissenschaft studieren. An der Uni haben wir dieses Thema nicht, deshalb studiere ich Deutsch, Spanisch und Anthropologie.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't "need" it really, I just have this desire to learn the language. I didn't like spanish so I'm not taking a 3rd year of it. But I think that knowing another language is important and opens your mind to different styles of communication.

To restate the question: Whats the best way to learn German? Online program? Community College?

Ich will Deutsch lernen!!!

Oops, sorry, I've been neglecting the thread I started - how stereotypically ENFP of me! Great ideas, no follow-through! DOH! :doh:

The reason why I asked the question is because your requirements determine the best way to learn. If you want to learn how to speak fluently, for example, an online program would be a bad idea because you learn through passive acquisition - mainly reading and listening with some writing. Speaking fluently requires active acquisition, which is only accomplished through taking classes and finding a native speaker with whom you can communicate on a regular basis.

If you had said you needed it for a job, I would have suggested a year abroad, preferably more, if possible. You can become fluent only if you go to the actual country, live there, and breathe in the culture. You hear native speakers, and you have to practice. Be wary of people who want to speak English. Be polite but firm and say you are here to practice German.

Since you mentioned that you do not "need" it per se, you could get away with attending community college classes. Just be wary of the fact that community colleges may have large classes, which makes the "student talking time" go down dramatically. For example, if you have a class with 10 pupils (and that is small, but I assume not as many people want to learn German) and the class lasts ninety minutes a week, you get to talk only NINE minutes a week, assuming there is equal speaking distribution and the teacher is absolutely silent, which never *EVER* happens.

On the other hand, if you are just doing it for the hell of it, it is not really essential to speak fluently, so community classes could be a cost-effective measure. Lack of motivation could be a problem, however, especially if the other students do not need German for professional purposes.

Another possibility could be going to a language school. This is preferable if you really want intensive one-on-one or small-group training. However, the downside is that it is extremely expensive.

If you are willing and able, working as an au-pair or in an internship abroad would be another opportunity. Then you get paid for your experience abroad as opposed to having to pay for it. Another possibility is getting a scholarship to teach English abroad or to apply to a language school in Germany. Then you could teach English while having the opportunity to learn the language in person.

So it is definitely not the case that you have to be rich in order to stay abroad. You just have to be motivated and willing to put in a little time and effort.

Online classes would be best for someone who is studying a subject that requires reading and analyzing German texts. Then only passive acquisition is needed. It could also be good for people who want a cost-effective method to get a 'taste' for the language before they embark on a trip to a country or do something more expensive.

I hope this helps! :D