• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Toxic Negativety in the Workplace

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I feel this warrants a new thread, since I've applied some suggestions, and also studied some ways others have dealt with this issue of toxic people making work feel more like a chore than actual work.....

There are four people I work with on a semi-regular basis.

Two of these people are great, they do their work, we chat at times, and that is that. For them work > complaining. I have no issue with them. Strangely enough, these two are veterans to the job. They. Know. Their. Job. and that they can physically do them many times as fast as I can..... lol.

The other two, on the hand, is a pain mentally. Gossiping and complaining, those types of people. So far, what I have been doing is along the lines of "uh-huh" or the "I have to do x" or just avoiding these two when physically possible. When it becomes too much, especially with one of these two, I take my lunch the soonest possible at another location away from the work place (other co-workers from other departments have done this too to avoid toxic people.) One of them, especially, complains about others not doing something half the time (reality is that others do more than he does.)

Are there other courses of action I can take besides telling them to shut-up or speaking to people higher up? I feel like I am not the one to be trying to fix this issue because these two are grown adults. But I feel like lots of people don't stay in this department long enough because of this toxic environment. At the same time, I feel like the higher ups do not want to fire anybody because we are already low on people because of the toxic environment.

Chthonic

Are there other courses of action I can take besides telling them to shut-up or speaking to people higher up? I feel like I am not the one to be trying to fix this issue because these two are grown adults. But I feel like lots of people don't stay in this department long enough because of this toxic environment. At the same time, I feel like the higher ups do not want to fire anybody because we are already low on people because of the toxic environment.

Yes. Accept that toxicity of the kind you are talking about happens wherever people are present. Higher ups aren't going to fire people because they are toxic. In fact your toxic coworkers are probably on a fast track to promotion, if most corporations I've worked with are anything to go by. :newwink:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. Accept that toxicity of the kind you are talking about happens wherever people are present. Higher ups aren't going to fire people because they are toxic. In fact your toxic coworkers are probably on a fast track to promotion, if most corporations I've worked with are anything to go by. :newwink:

Who knows, one guy does make sure that his image looks good and all. But that is it, nothing but complaining, lol.