• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Business Casual?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been told not to make assumptions ;)
hehe

tumblr_inline_n1ihs6VKYB1rrzdyg.gif

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
that dinosaur dress is so cute! i would totally wear that to work.

I'm obsessed with that dinosaur dress. I want to wear it pretty much everyday! Best dress i've ever bought!

Thank you everyone for the advice and ideas. I think I'm going to be able to make most of my dresses work. :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Androgynous fashion is a crime against humanity.

Please. Slacks are fine and in the winter, no one is wearing skirts and dresses. Except maybe the Amish.

I like the dino dress, maybe a cardigan over it. There are a lot of ideas on Pintrest and such where 10 good pieces are swapped around to create a number of outfits. Those are helpful and you could add pieces over time and get ideas for what you already own.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wore this to my first interview. Is this okay?
The overall style is fine. I personally don't like tan and white together - too little contrast/bland, without the benefits of being monochromatic. Also, for a neutral color in camis I would use black, grey, or tan - the white ones can start to look grungy with washing/wearing. Also, black cami/black skirt makes a nice, continuous line; then a contrasting cardigan.

I don't agree with belts to accentuate the waist, when worn over a single-color/pattern item (e.g. a dress). They can stick out like sore thumbs. Better accentuate the waist with styles, like dresses with princess seams, or jackets fitted through the waist rather than straight and boxy.

In overall advice, I second the suggestion of going to a thrift store. When I finished grad school and started a professional job, I got 5 outfits, a sweater and a pair of shoes for $30 at a local thrift. You can often find much better quality items - lined pants and skirts, lambswool sweaters, etc. It's also a good way to try out styles you aren't sure you like yet.

Yes, dresses and cardigans are fine for business casual, and I don't see the problem with tights with any outfit, as long as they are plain and a matching color. What were the other women wearing at your new jobsite when you interviewed? Someone else advised dressing a little more formally your first few days, and observing your coworkers. That's great advice, too. It won't take you long to determine what will fit in, and how to stand out in a positive way.

Well I don't live in North America, and as a liberal, surely you should welcome input from somebody of a different culture.
Androgynous fashion is a crime against humanity.
In what way? Trousers are a recent development for men as well, in the span of human history. You have mentioned living in New Zealand. Is fashion there significantly different from what one sees in the U.S. and western Europe?

Your comment about dresses being better than trousers is exactly right for certain body types, especially dresses in certain styles. Other body types will look better in trousers. Everyone is better off in trousers for certain kinds of work.

Please. Slacks are fine and in the winter, no one is wearing skirts and dresses. Except maybe the Amish.
When I was in college, I used to wear mid-calf woolen skirts with thick knee socks and sturdy shoes, and ride my bike to a consulting firm internship several times a week. That was my "business casual" back then. I could have worn pants, but I had the skirts and liked them, with turtlenecks and fitted cardigan sweaters.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
When I was in college, I used to wear mid-calf woolen skirts with thick knee socks and sturdy shoes, and ride my bike to a consulting firm internship several times a week. That was my "business casual" back then. I could have worn pants, but I had the skirts and liked them, with turtlenecks and fitted cardigan sweaters.

I agree with you for comfort but, just thinking about last winter in a skirt makes me cold.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree with you for comfort but, just thinking about last winter in a skirt makes me cold.

Yeah, I definitely want more options than skirts and dresses. I live in Colorado, and I hear the winters here are pretty cold.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
In what way? Trousers are a recent development for men as well, in the span of human history. You have mentioned living in New Zealand. Is fashion there significantly different from what one sees in the U.S. and western Europe?

Informally, I haven't noticed much difference, however in a work situation there are differentiated dress codes for men and women. I do notice more women wearing skirts and dresses than trousers in a professional setting. This is not the case casually. FTR, the climate of Southern NZ is similar to that of the Pacific Northwest in the US.

Your comment about dresses being better than trousers is exactly right for certain body types, especially dresses in certain styles. Other body types will look better in trousers. Everyone is better off in trousers for certain kinds of work.

I do hope you are not suggesting that certain types of men would look better in dresses.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do hope you are not suggesting that certain types of men would look better in dresses.
In many (most?) periods of human history, and in many parts of the world, men did wear clothing much more similar to dresses than trousers. They were called robes, tunics, or something other than dresses, but they were fairly similar. And yes, some styles look better on certain men vs. other men, and some styles of dress-like garment look better on the stereotypical female figure than the stereotypical male. Consider kilts, for instance. They are very similar to skirts, but a traditionally male garment.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if this is the proper place to post this. Okay, so I just got this new job! Yay! I know, I'm excited. The problem is they want me to dress business casual everyday. I've only ever dressed business casual for interviews, so I have that one outfit.

I am in the same boat. I just got promoted from the plant to the office at my job and I have 1, maybe 2 nice outfits. And no decent shoes. I'm going to have to raid the clearance racks at dep't stores and the local thrift stores.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
In many (most?) periods of human history, and in many parts of the world, men did wear clothing much more similar to dresses than trousers. They were called robes, tunics, or something other than dresses, but they were fairly similar. And yes, some styles look better on certain men vs. other men, and some styles of dress-like garment look better on the stereotypical female figure than the stereotypical male. Consider kilts, for instance. They are very similar to skirts, but a traditionally male garment.

So you are using fashion sense from two thousand years ago as an argument. That is poor character considering that you generally express an aversion to the values and traditions of past ages. Also, how often do men wear traditional dress, as opposed to a business or casual standard? Western men do not wear traditional dress regularly.

OP was wondering about appropriate dress codes in a professional environment, and from what I've observed in New Zealand, many younger women dress a bit like this professionally:
The-skirt-at-work-1.jpg

New-2013-Spring-Autumn-Fall-Fashion-Female-Work-Wear-Sets-for-Women-Career-Skirt-Suits-for.jpg_350x350.jpg

(I hope you'll excuse the irony of me using an Asian model).

Jeans are not appropriate workwear for women here, and I cannot imagine that this would be any different in the US.

Anyway, I'm out...

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you are using fashion sense from two thousand years ago as an argument. That is poor character considering that you generally express an aversion to the values and traditions of past ages. Also, how often do men wear traditional dress, as opposed to a business or casual standard? Western men do not wear traditional dress regularly.
That depends on what one considers traditional. You do not have to look back anywhere near 2000 years to find time periods when men have worn dress-like garments. Trousers are a relatively recent development, and have significant advantages of practicality for both men and women. I evaluate clothing, like most things, irrespective of tradition. If it makes sense given the needs of the occasion, I use or recommend it. There is no logical reason for assigning dresses to women and trousers to men, unless one is trying to replicate traditional dress from a specific period, as for a cultural reenactment. Beyond that it is simply a matter of choice.

Jeans are not appropriate workwear for women here, and I cannot imagine that this would be any different in the US.
In many US workplaces, jeans are considered inappropriate workwear for men or women, and I tend to agree. (Interestingly, in the same environment, a woman can get away with a denim skirt or dress; a double standard indeed.)

In the places I have worked, some women sometimes wear things like this:
dc19e016f7123ee56aae406eb67bf1af.jpg

but they are more likely to wear something like this:

dublin-taipei.jpg

business-casual-women-2013what-to-wear-to-a-legal-proceeding---accurate-court-reporting-inc-fzbe4n71.jpg

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I put some outfits together. I don't know if my style is naturally too whimsical for business casual, but I don't want to have to sacrifice too much of myself! PICTURE HEAVY!
Please only comment on whether or not the outfit is appropriate for work, not how fat I am. :)

4AMdSmM.jpg

I got this shirt yesterday at the thrift store. It won't butt over my boobs. Is it okay to wear a cami under it like this? I also bought these pants, and I hate the way they fit. I think they make me look shorter and they make my whole leg look like they are that huge. One of my good friends said that she thought these pants looked better than my ankle cut dress pants.

qmY4gJl.jpg

Same pants. Different shirt, and a blazer added. Is the blazer too much? I don't know if it's too fun.

dh5OgGK.jpg

These are the pants that my friend told me looked awful on me. I like these better. I may just be more accustomed to skinny fits though. I know that I have big hips and thighs, but I still find this more attractive on myself. Plain white v neck and grey cardigan also. Should my shirt be longer?

aHXCSvk.jpg

Same pants. Black v neck. Added my whale cardigan, because I love my whale cardigan! Is it too fun?

pWIXHWO.jpg

added a yellow cardigan to my dinosaur dress. Too much color?

3Ehxopt.jpg

H&M wrap dress, and a cardigan. I think this is alright. I'm not sure if the print is to busy.

YG7H82c.jpg

One of my favorite dresses. Added a cardigan and opaque tights.

U1eY1CA.jpg

Another dress. Added a cardigan, and a cami underneath to hide cleavage. Is this too sexy? Are those ankle slouchy boots work appropriate?

TrvUgAH.jpg

Pencil skirt and that purple shirt

93QS9uR.jpg

How do you feel about it tucked in?

SZak0zL.jpg

Same skirt. Purple v neck underneath. Added cardigan.

gbMY4Dc.jpg

Same skirt. Added a sweater and my favorite infinity scarf. Not sure about this. I hate sweaters. They aren't very flattering on my body type in my opinion.

dwa1TEM.jpg

Are we absolutely positive I can't wear this shirt? ;) I like this the best. Although I know I can't wear it, it's what I'd rather be wearing.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have some comments from the peanut gallery!

The purple shirt is good buttoned like that, and you could probably also button the single button below your boobs, or just the second one down below your boobs. I like doing that especially over a black top and black pants/skirt, it makes your whole body look long. And I LOVE the new pants! You don't like them?! I think they look really good on you. I actually think they balance you out well and make your whole body look more streamlined.

I also really love your striped blazer. That outfit is probably my favorite of all your shirt-and-pants sets. I like the yellow cardigan with your dinosaur dress, though I would tend to leave more of the buttons open. I think the black pants your friend doesn't like are fine, but I would tend not to wear them with the white top because it seems a little see-through. I do like the whale cardigan, however I also think you are better off with the black flats anytime your outfit has black, unless it has that khaki color in it. I think your black and white dress is very professional, especially with the black cardigan and flats. I also love the dress with the light seafoam stripes. I think the dress with the pink top and black bottom is not too sexy, though I think it might look better with flats. The ankle boots are really cute, but I think they would pair better with a longer hemline.

I really like the look of tucking a shirt in on you, especially with a cardigan over it. I do think it looks better with a non-button up shirt. I think the outfit where you have the purple v-necked tucked in is perfect, but again I'd tend to pair that with the black flats. I also think that if you were to get a more flowing and longer skirt, your sweaters would pair beautifully with it. A knee-length or lower skirt in a neutral color is great for work - I have a chocolate colored one I am particularly fond of. You could wear the ankle boots with that, as well. The last outfit is cute but yeah, not acceptable. Except if you have casual Fridays. :)

Also, if you have a long necklace or two lying around, that can add a little extra formality to your outfits.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have some comments from the peanut gallery!

The purple shirt is good buttoned like that, and you could probably also button the single button below your boobs, or just the second one down below your boobs. I like doing that especially over a black top and black pants/skirt, it makes your whole body look long. And I LOVE the new pants! You don't like them?! I think they look really good on you. I actually think they balance you out well and make your whole body look more streamlined.

I also really love your striped blazer. That outfit is probably my favorite of all your shirt-and-pants sets. I like the yellow cardigan with your dinosaur dress, though I would tend to leave more of the buttons open. I think the black pants your friend doesn't like are fine, but I would tend not to wear them with the white top because it seems a little see-through. I do like the whale cardigan, however I also think you are better off with the black flats anytime your outfit has black, unless it has that khaki color in it. I think your black and white dress is very professional, especially with the black cardigan and flats. I also love the dress with the light seafoam stripes. I think the dress with the pink top and black bottom is not too sexy, though I think it might look better with flats. The ankle boots are really cute, but I think they would pair better with a longer hemline.

I really like the look of tucking a shirt in on you, especially with a cardigan over it. I do think it looks better with a non-button up shirt. I think the outfit where you have the purple v-necked tucked in is perfect, but again I'd tend to pair that with the black flats. I also think that if you were to get a more flowing and longer skirt, your sweaters would pair beautifully with it. A knee-length or lower skirt in a neutral color is great for work - I have a chocolate colored one I am particularly fond of. You could wear the ankle boots with that, as well. The last outfit is cute but yeah, not acceptable. Except if you have casual Fridays. :)

Also, if you have a long necklace or two lying around, that can add a little extra formality to your outfits.

Thank you for all of this. It's so helpful. I think I don't like the pants, just because I'm soo accustomed to wearing tighter fitting pants, and skinny jeans. I'm sure I'll eventually warm up to them!

I love the striped blazer too. I bought it at a yard sale a few weeks ago, and I haven't had the opportunity to wear it yet. You are right about the yellow cardigan with the dino dress. Normally I would also leave buttons unbuttoned. I was just trying to mix it a up a bit!

I need to get some more black flats I suppose. I was wearing the boots, because my friend said that I should pair my skirts with boots because it would help balance out something or another. I was thinking about buying a pair of knee high flat boots. Do you think those would look okay with skirts or dresses?

I think we might actually have casual Fridays! I interviewed on a Friday, and my manager was wearing jeans and running shoes. When I went back for my second interview he was very nicely dressed in business casual. He's also EXTREMELY attractive, but that's a side note.

I actually don't own any jewelry, like, at all. I fiddle with stuff too much, and I'm allergic to a lot of fake jewelry. :( I can see how a long necklace could add some formality though. I think hair and makeup will really help my outfits too and will add some formality.

Thank you again for your helpful comments.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you for all of this. It's so helpful. I think I don't like the pants, just because I'm soo accustomed to wearing tighter fitting pants, and skinny jeans. I'm sure I'll eventually warm up to them!

I love the striped blazer too. I bought it at a yard sale a few weeks ago, and I haven't had the opportunity to wear it yet. You are right about the yellow cardigan with the dino dress. Normally I would also leave buttons unbuttoned. I was just trying to mix it a up a bit!

I need to get some more black flats I suppose. I was wearing the boots, because my friend said that I should pair my skirts with boots because it would help balance out something or another. I was thinking about buying a pair of knee high flat boots. Do you think those would look okay with skirts or dresses?

I think we might actually have casual Fridays! I interviewed on a Friday, and my manager was wearing jeans and running shoes. When I went back for my second interview he was very nicely dressed in business casual. He's also EXTREMELY attractive, but that's a side note.

I actually don't own any jewelry, like, at all. I fiddle with stuff too much, and I'm allergic to a lot of fake jewelry. :( I can see how a long necklace could add some formality though. I think hair and makeup will really help my outfits too and will add some formality.

Thank you again for your helpful comments.

Absolutely! I'm glad you found it helpful. I joined a sorority years ago in college and we had to wear business clothes for our meetings, and I had the same oh shit reaction, lol. The blazer is so cute and fits you really nicely. I think it will be very versatile. I am definitely in favor of you getting more black flats. I think that they really look good on you, and hopefully are a comfortable option. I think knee-high flat boots would be awesome! Personally, I try to find boots with a little wideness at the ankles, like straps, so they balance out my hips a little, but I don't know if that's just my own quirk or if it actually works ;)

Sounds frustrating with the jewelry, I'd probably skip it in that case too. I think all of your outfits here are totally fine for business casual, though, regardless. Yay for maybe wearing your fun shirt on Friday - and for managerial eye candy :laugh:

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I start my job tomorrow! Also, I just got word from my boss that they are starting a new dress code. They are providing me with shirts, with the logo of the company on there or whatever. Basically, all this for nothing! I do still have to wear khakis. They said my current pants should be find though, and I can wear jeans on Friday.