• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Business Casual?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know if this is the proper place to post this. Okay, so I just got this new job! Yay! I know, I'm excited. The problem is they want me to dress business casual everyday. I've only ever dressed business casual for interviews, so I have that one outfit.

I really don't know how to stretch my wardrobe to dress business casual everyday. I'm really not rich enough to buy a whole new wardrobe, so i'm trying to figure out if there is some way i can make my current wardrobe work. I dress VERY casually on a day to day basis. Sometimes it's just a pair of yoga pants and a t shirt. Other days it's jeans and a t shirt. However, I do own about 21 dresses. I also have the problem that I'm a pretty curvy girl. A size 14/16 (US). My measurements are 42-32-42. My bra size is 36G. I can't wear button down shirts, because my boobs are too damn big. Typical "business casual" stuff looks awful on me I feel or I just look too sexy to pull it off (being serious). I just don't know how to make this work. I would love suggestions. I can spend a little bit of money if necessary.

So here are my questions:

Can you make dresses business casual by adding a cardigan?

If I post pictures of outfits I've put together, will someone tell me with honesty if it is business casual or not?

Are tights business casual?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Congrats!

Yes, you can make a dress more casual with a short cardigan, blazer or with tights (but it does depend on the dress - provided it isn't super-short, doesn't have sparkles or is made from shiny material you might be ok.)

No to the tights aside from above.

Add two pairs of dress pants (black and one other neutral, grey or tan) two skirts (one black and one other neutral, grey or tan) and three different color camisoles to coordinate with the above and your blazers/cardigans and you're a go. If you make the camisoles the "pop" color, keep the jackets on the plain side. Otherwise, keep the camisoles white and put the color/creativity in the blazer. Neutral shoes / boots have more versatility.

Also, here: Curvy Girl Pretty on Pinterest - you'll get some ideas.

93JC

What's the 'culture' like at this place? "Business casual" means all sorts of things, depending on the particular workplace. Speaking as a man, business casual can mean anything from golf shit and a decent pair of jeans (no holes) to long-sleeved collared shirt with trousers and leather shoes (basically a suit, minus the jacket and tie).

In general leggings/tights tend to be a little too casual but I've seen it pulled off before with a longer top, long enough to cover your bum in its entirety.

Pair cardigans and other light sweaters with camisoles.

93JC

Add two pairs of dress pants (black and one other neutral, grey or tan)

:yes:

By the sounds of it you have many dresses but few pants besides tights and jeans. Save your shekels and buy yourself a couple pairs of pants; black and grey or tan, as described above.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Can you wear tights with skirts? I would never wear tights by themselves. I usually wear them with skirts and dresses.

I wore this to my first interview. Is this okay?

tights.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always went with skirts and sweaters and boots when I had to dress business casual, which was for years... sometimes a dress with a cardigan. button down shirts look awkward on me and dress pants never fit right without tailoring. probably not proper business casual, but it passed :)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:yes:

By the sounds of it you have many dresses but few pants besides tights and jeans. Save your shekels and buy yourself a couple pairs of pants; black and grey or tan, as described above.

Pants don't usually look awesome on me. I have large hips, and a much smaller waist in comparison, so pants always look soooo awkward on me. Especially dressy ones. I do have a pair of navy ones and a pair of khakis. The khakis show everything that i'd rather hide about my body lol.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Can you wear tights with skirts? I would never wear tights by themselves. I usually wear them with skirts and dresses.

I wore this to my first interview. Is this okay?

View attachment 12457

Pic looks fine to me. :) Tights ok in this scenario. I would accent the waist if I were you. If cash is scant, try the thrift shops for a couple of blazers and other bits you lack (cute skinny belts etc) - you will likely find stock sizes that are big enough in the bust but then too big in the waist. You could alter them yourself of find a friend who loves her sewing maching to take in the seams for you. There are actually some good videos on youtube that show you how as well!

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Pic looks fine to me. :) Tights ok in this scenario. I would accent the waist if I were you. If cash is scant, try the thrift shops for a couple of blazers and other bits you lack (cute skinny belts etc) - you will likely find stock sizes that are big enough in the bust but then too big in the waist. You could alter them yourself of find a friend who loves her sewing maching to take in the seams for you. There are actually some good videos on youtube that show you how as well!

I was thinking about hitting up a thrift store to see if I could find anything. I have a ton of skinny belts, but I want to find a decentish blazer. The only blazer I have is black and white striped. haha.

Can I get away with a dinosaur dress if I add a cardigan or is it too whimsical? This is my favorite dress.

dino.jpg

gromit

likes this
Also nice slacks + cardigan + scarf can make any plain t-shirt into business casual attire, IMO.

I also do the t-shirt (or tank) + cardigan + scarf with leggings and a stretchy black skirt. Got like 4 of them at H&M for like $5 each. I am all about comfiness of attire. I also have a couple blazers of a sort of sweatshirt material... weird sounding in theory, amazing in practice.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
The main changes needed are to cover more of your body, and to avoid insignias...go for plain, single coloured clothing that cover your arms and your legs down to your knees.

Medium length dresses are preferable to trousers.

As others have mentioned, wearing a T-shirt may be fine so long it doesn't have a band insignia or anything, and you wear something else on top of it. In summer, the need for a single layer may mean you will have to look for something more formal.

I suggest you do some Google searches to get an idea of the dress code for women.

A hint: To be safe, wear something more formal for your first few days, but watch how other women in your position dress. You may find that the place you work in is quite causal with their dress code. It will vary a lot depending on your profession and position in the business.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cardigans and scarves are my business casual crutches. Congrats on the new job!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I was thinking about hitting up a thrift store to see if I could find anything. I have a ton of skinny belts, but I want to find a decentish blazer. The only blazer I have is black and white striped. haha.

Can I get away with a dinosaur dress if I add a cardigan or is it too whimsical? This is my favorite dress.

View attachment 12458

I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with that combo! Unless they hate dinosaurs! ;)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that dinosaur dress is so cute! i would totally wear that to work.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Okay, my horrible fashion opinion:

Business casual for girls is nicer street clothes. Dark jeans with dressier shirts and heels.. or slacks with a casual but appropriate top and flats. A modest dress with a jacket. That sort of stuff. Like the things you would see high school teachers wearing. Pretty much anything goes and it can be really comfortable. I used to wear yoga pants that looked nicer than they really were and a nice top to distract from them and regular black shoes and it worked fine all the time.

Dinosaur dress + jacket = fine to me! As long as you look like you gave a shit I think girls are fine with almost anything in business casual zone.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I feel you. I have boobs and hips and most business clothes are cut like boxes. I go with dresses, scarves, and cardigans pretty much constantly. I echo kyuuei that a lot of times you can totally get away with a fancy top, black shoes, and yoga pants! I used to do that all the time!! :laugh:

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
:laugh:

This hasn't been the case (in North America) in 30+ years.

Well I don't live in North America, and as a liberal, surely you should welcome input from somebody of a different culture.

Androgynous fashion is a crime against humanity.