• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP Careers

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTPs

What is your career?

How much do you like your career?

What do you not like about your career?

What are your strengths and weaknesses in that job?

Have you had other jobs that you liked or didn't like? If so, what is it that you liked or didn't like about them?

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
What is your career? Military intelligence officer (2 years exp. w/ 4 years at academy)

How much do you like your career? Meh

What do you not like about your career? False responsibility (they want things done and enforced according to procedure with very little room for adaptive problem solving), not challenging, not enough autonomy for thought, action, or even appearance (going back to love for stupid procedures)

What are your strengths and weaknesses in that job? If they need research or analysis done I'm very good at that, but I'm too independent and critical for the admin crap

Have you had other jobs that you liked or didn't like? If so, what is it that you liked or didn't like about them? I was a soccer ref and a glorified day janitor at a gym in high school and honestly liked both. Referee because I was a goalie myself and hated the drama that field players brought (I'm the only ref I know that's given multiple cards in a game to players taking falls). Janitor because my job was very straightforward and hands-on, but I don't think I could've been happy there post-HS. I've also coached basketball and lacrosse since then and love it for the same reason I love playing (I just do).

I'll probably get out of the military when my contract period is over. I have no idea what I'll do though. I would go get my MBA or JD but for the first time in my life I've found I'm frozen by the unknown. Namely I don't want to invest 2 years of school and rack up debt just to find out that I wouldn't do it again if I had the choice

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
What is your career?
Supply Manager for a cancer hospital

How much do you like your career?
indifferent

What do you not like about your career?
Long-term monotony. Excessively programmatic. Lacking in hip-shot gut-hunch balls-out brazen dumbass instinct.

What are your strengths and weaknesses in that job?
Strengths: Caution/Analysis Weaknesses: gut-shot-bullshit mentioned previously.
Strengths: Brazen Instincts Weaknesses: Overly cautious/Overly analytical.

Have you had other jobs that you liked or didn't like? If so, what is it that you liked or didn't like about them?
I have had many many jobs. I have really loved most of them.
I like being the boss, or working alone.
I dislike holding any job for too long.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is your career? Official title is "Application Developer Consultant" I am a senior programmer

How much do you like your career? It makes good money, It comes easy to me, I enjoy learning and analyzing things. There are other things I would rather do.

What do you not like about your career? Spend to much time in a chair

What are your strengths and weaknesses in that job? I have extremely good analytical skills, I am willing to learn everything and anything, programming mind frame comes natural to me. I refuse to document things, I am not the best at explaining technical things to non-technical people at times(depends on mood) I have had a BA come to me with a question about how something works and I had no time to explain it right then, so I copied and pasted code and said I don't have the time right now to explain, here is the code let me know if you cant figure it out and I will help you later:doh:

Phone sales, hated it quit after 2 weeks.

Tire tech at discount tire, loved it until they put to many rules in place. No spinning, throwing, flipping tools. No flat top changers because they are to dangerous, no jumping over tires and popping them up with your feet :doh: I quit because I got bored, people used to watch me change tires because it was entertaining.

Electronic Technician enjoyed it, fixed 25-120 million dollar photolithography tools. Ended up programming to make my job easier and was able to get more done then others easier. They moved me into programming full time to simplify and automate complicated tasks. They warned building was gonna close and everyone could be layed off, left company for another job

Computer programmer, started at the bottom as I was self taugt with a degree in electronics. Been messing around with programming since 5 though. Moved up ahead of everyone else, enjoy, but rather do something more physical. I enjoy labor, I am good at programming.