• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Physical vs. Mental Labor

DarkCatalyst

MBTI Type
ISTP
Which do you think is more difficult/exhausting? Do you think that physical labor is looked down upon?

For me, the mental stuff is a lot more draining. Having worked on my MS degree and as a research assistant for the past two years has been hell. Especially the last couple months where I have been putting in 12+ hour days everyday in front of the computer just to be done by the end of summer. Though, I figured I'd see it through since I made the financial investment and a degree would be something to fall back on.

I think that I've developed such a disdain for sitting on my ass all day everyday that I may starting working a physical labor job once I'm done with school. Never thought I'd hear myself say this but the oil fields are looking pretty good right about now.

DC

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Which do you think is more difficult/exhausting? Do you think that physical labor is looked down upon?

Mental labor is easier for me and physical labor is more exhausting. But it also depends on the mental labor. Technology does not interest me a bit. If the mental work involves people, then it's interesting.

Physical labor is definitely looked down upon in my opinion but not by me. I greatly appreciate the people who do physical labor.

Last edited:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Overall it depends on the activities. When I was in grad school I could really only put in about an hour or two of good study a day before being drained. If cramming for a final I could do more, but anything after the first hour was much lower quality study. During the same time I could do several hours of physical labor before becoming exhausted. Of course I'm thinking of moving furniture or helping other people move. If I was doing weight lifting or something I'd probably get exhausted pretty quickly.

Bufo

MBTI Type
onto
Enneagram
5w4
Some people seem to have a sick tendency to look down upon physical labor. Anyway, both physical and mental labor may lead to exhaustion if you overdo either of them. Personally, I find it good and refreshing to divert. When I get exhausted by thinking too much, I usually switch to recalling what I already learnt. Changing the topic also does good sometimes. If that doesn't seem enough, I do some physical labor, say, washing, necessary shopping, or other chores. The principle is that you exercise a different part of your brain for a different function and leave the exhausted part to rest. I had never been in the habit of sitting in my study for long. But this technique helped use my time most efficiently and I managed to study more than twelve hours a day for a long period of time. Alternating mental and physical labor seems to me essential to maintain a healthy balance without unnecessarily risking a possible quit.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd rather be told to do something with my body than with my mind.
It's because mental activity is more important to me that I prefer physical labor. A lot of it is so monotonous that I can easily think of something else while I'm doing it. On the other hand, I can't handle the requirements of mental labor. I agonize over feeling like my thoughts are being forced or controlled.

Works

MBTI Type
INTP
I tend to use mental labor to get out of physical labor. How can I apply the most leverage to this situation to achieve the goals I want and work the least?

That being said, there is something rather satisfying about physical labor that you are proud of. Cutting the grass or building some sort of project can leave you tired, but proud of what you've done.

I get that same feeling of pride when I labor on something mentally, but not always that feeling of satisfaction. I think it's because the results are less concrete or that mental projects tend to always lead to further projects. Finishing a mental project leads to more mental projects. Once you are done with the chores, you're done for the day.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
It's about balance. And, that is your problem. By sitting in-front of a computer for 12 hours a day you lack balance between mental and physical work.

Try (if possible) typing while standing. When I do so it improves my mood and energy level tremendously.

LucrativeSid

I HATE every kind of labor, shit. If I'm straining myself mentally, it better be because I'm working towards something I really care about. If I'm straining myself physically, I'll lose all my energy, but at least I can usually day dream while I work. My ideal situation would be 25% physical labor, 25% mental labor, and 50% screw around time.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP

Physical labor, to me is "real work". Maybe it's me, but a long day of doing physical work, is more exhausting than the most difficult day at a desk job. (Possible exception being if it's dealing with problematic people all day).

I think physical labor is looked down upon, because it's supposedly "unskilled". To me, that's complete BS, and learning to do a lot of finer physical work takes a lot of time and effort. Personally, I respect them far more than office workers.

For reference, I have a desk job.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
To the OP: This is where you start getting into dangerous waters qualifying the value of mental vs. physical labor.

I knew someone (mostl likely XNTP and a bit mentally unstable at that) who said that 'all forms of exploitation are the same' meaning sexual, physical labor, or intellectual labor.

My answer is that is bullshit and something that I'd expect from a straight male who considers themselves to be a great intellectual.

If it came down to 'CzeCze, how do you prefer being exploited', in order of preference

1) Intellectual (Seriously, please, 'exploit' me intellectually. Make me sit behind an air conditioned desk and type all day. I'm sure my brethren being gang raped or wasting away physically in the harsh elements will pity me)
2) (other) Physical
3) (dead last, far far far far far away from 1 and 2) Sexual

In terms of your question, all things being equal intellectual labor ALWAYS ranks higher in society than physical. It's considered harder and your 'contribution' to society as an individual much greater. Elitist.

The only gray territory is something like 'entertainer', particularly if it's a classical art or considered high-brow or cerebral, like a composer or certain comedians and authors. Or highly trained/skilled sculptors and fine arts folks (--> this is archetypal SP btw)

But things like singing, acting, those are usually another sphere but default considered 'physical'. The funny thing about being an entertainer, is that even though the reason people want to pursue entertainment careers is to be adored by the public -- as a class entertainers were reviled almost across the board in many societies. The only people who tried to become entertainers were people of loose moral character and questionable intellect -- people born and stuck in lower rungs of society.

Wait..your question.

Reverse the above list.

I prefer

1) Meaningful intellectual work
2) Meaningful 'physical' work -- btw, being a bartender or hostess as a fancy restaurant counts as 'physical work'
3) Meaningful sexua -- oh wait -- wth??? LOL, that didn't work.

IrishStallion819

MBTI Type
INFJ
In my Personally opinion....I think both are exausting in terms of extremes....I think if you required to be so physically involved to accomplish something...thats very draining....Also I think if u have to use too much of your mind in something then its very draining as well...Me personally, I"m all about balance, I like jobs that require just as much physical labor as their is thinking..

Also for me, I live in a very agricultural/craftsmanship region of the country, and I think for a long time people put more of an ephasis on phyiscal labor being way more of a challenge... ALso I think Gender roles plays huge in it when it comes to societys views on which things are more difficult....I think they expect the physical nature to come relatively easy to males in general, and more of the thinking/contemplating for females. But overall I really do believe it just depends on where u live and who u are as a person... Society for a long time as just excepted a "universal" idea thats suppose to fit everyone, rather than looking at people individually.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I tend to use mental labor to get out of physical labor. How can I apply the most leverage to this situation to achieve the goals I want and work the least?

Yes. Agreed.

Also, mental and physical labor will both include easy and difficult tasks for most people. For example, a person could be an expert in rocket science but have little ability to grasp philosophy, in which they may have been assigned an in depth 10 page essay.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I HATE every kind of labor, shit. If I'm straining myself mentally, it better be because I'm working towards something I really care about. If I'm straining myself physically, I'll lose all my energy, but at least I can usually day dream while I work. My ideal situation would be 25% physical labor, 25% mental labor, and 50% screw around time.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Sweet!

:party2:

ygolo

My termites win
Physical work is more tiring for me, but it is almost always a "good tired."

Mental work is rarely exhausting; the only way I can tell I am mentally exhausted is when I start noticing that I am making a lot of mistakes. So, sometimes, I could be mentally exhausted and not notice.

What does lack-of-sleep count as? Sometimes, I don't sleep much. I know I haven't had enough sleep when I am irritable, and irrational and/or melancholy.

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'd rather be told to do something with my body than with my mind. It's because mental activity is more important to me that I prefer physical labor. A lot of it is so monotonous that I can easily think of something else while I'm doing it. On the other hand, I can't handle the requirements of mental labor. I agonize over feeling like my thoughts are being forced or controlled.

That is... remarkably chord-striking.

Yes. Agreed.
Also, mental and physical labor will both include easy and difficult tasks for most people. For example, a person could be an expert in rocket science but have little ability to grasp philosophy, in which they may have been assigned an in depth 10 page essay.

I agree with both ideas introduced. ;)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
12 hours is a bit too much time, that's imho where the problem lies. I prefer some balance between the two; when I was trying to become a pro cyclist, I'd train for 6-7 continuous hours a day - after a year like that, I considered intellectual labor as a kind of blessing. However, of course, whenever I am excessively busy with "intellectual" tasks, I tend to long for more physical time. I usually try to reach my quota of tiredness by playing a sport and/or going running/to the gym on an almost daily basis. An excessive imbalance towards intellectual tasks tend to make me very nervous.

As far as intellectual vs physical and being considered better/worse: I think it mostly depends on how much skill you need to perform the given intellectual or physical tasks. There are some desk jobs that aren't considered particularly demanding in terms of ability (I'm thinking about data entry), which could maybe be compared to the most basic physical job (say, loading/unloading stuff). Yet there are plenty of physical types of work that require an incredibly high level of skill, almost impossible to reach for a good number of people (elite athletes, for example).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can handle very light physical labor. I could do things like restock a soda machine, filing, copying, making coffee, etc. without batting an eye. I think I prefer mental labor, though. It just seems easier to me.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
In my Personally opinion....I think both are exausting in terms of extremes....I think if you required to be so physically involved to accomplish something...thats very draining....Also I think if u have to use too much of your mind in something then its very draining as well...Me personally, I"m all about balance, I like jobs that require just as much physical labor as their is thinking..

Ditto.

This is one of the reasons why I want to be an enviromental scientist. Hopefully there will be a nice balance between the outdoor activities of field work and the intellectual stimulation of scientific analysis. I probably lean more towards mental labour but I've decided that some physical activity actually increases your mental abilities.

Qre:us

Physical labor, but, that's cuz when I reach my limit, it is one of an actual physical pain of the body. While when I reach the limits of my mental labour, it becomes a challenge I'd most often willingly take up, to see myself push further.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Depends on the field, I'd still say mental labor thought. As it is what I highly prefer to do. But I actually enjoy it, so it doesn't come of as exhausting to me.

General physical labor though, I just consider to be boring, thus exhausting to do. Although my body doesn't require me to lose extra energy physically, because I'm already doing a lot of physical training on a daily basis for several years now, so I guess I already fit most of your definition of balance.

Anyway, I'd say that exhausting labor is the kind of labor that one perceives to be dull or boring. The type of labor one finds interesting is automatically easier.