• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who on this forum has been in a fraternity? What type of fraternity?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why would you want to be in a Frat?

Oh, I don't know, great way to meet friends, structure, sense of brotherhood-hazing and extreme experiences bring people closer and it doesn't bother me. TONS of fun parties, young co-eds basically landing in your lap by the dozens. Insane stories to tell when you're older. Lifelong networking, and connections. I don't think I know a single friend that was in a frat that doesn't have a great job.

Just to name a few.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I don't know, great way to meet friends, structure, sense of brotherhood-hazing and extreme experiences bring people closer and it doesn't bother me. TONS of fun parties, young co-eds basically landing in your lap by the dozens. Insane stories to tell when you're older. Lifelong networking, and connections. I don't think I know a single friend that was in a frat that doesn't have a great job.

Just to name a few.
You can do all of that without joining a Frat

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anything's possible.

It's not that difficult all you need are drugs, alcohol, a rebellious attitude, hardcore blue collar workers, a bad boy attitude, a motorcycle and the ability to talk to a girl

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not that difficult all you need are drugs, alcohol, a rebellious attitude, hardcore blue collar workers, a bad boy attitude, a motorcycle and the ability to talk to a girl

More power to ya.

L

LadyLazarus

ISFP- In my past life I was a drunk frat boy(or more of a drunk frat boy).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know if you're just asking guys, but I'm an INFP and I was not in a sorority or co-ed fraternity.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't think they'd let me join. I've never been good at being part of a herd.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Just to name a few.
What a mortifying description.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I wasn't but I was in the football (well, soccer) team and university's newspaper. Not that really gave me any benefit in life whatsoever, but it was fun times.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
In my part of the country, fraternities/sororities aren't a thing and even where they are, they are less of a thing than in the States, from what I've observed at least.

Living in Madison, Wisconsin was interesting - saw frat houses, sororities for the first time. I guess maybe the business connection are useful for later. For everything else, it embodies my idea of hell. I would have hated being part of a sorority, nor would I have considered dating the type of guys that wanted to be in a fraternity generally.

I have a feeling it wouldn't be a huge draw for the introverted NF types.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
frat boys are the corniest dudes in existence.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
frat boys are the corniest dudes in existence.

As a whole, probably. But I've met several that were well rounded, cool individuals. Though they didn't strike me as the type to join a frat to begin with.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was in a sorority and enjoyed it very much. :)

I had a negative opinion of sororities and fraternities when I entered college, but I befriended a number of girls who were in one, and I started going to their events. I joined later in my college years, had a great experience - lots of friendship and leadership - and still keep in touch with many sisters. I'm an advisor for a new chapter now.

What I have learned from talking with sorority and fraternity members is that quality and type of Greek experience varies widely based on location, school, size, age, organization, and so on. I think the small size of and generally accepting attitude at my school made it a good fit for me. :)

If anyone has questions, I would be happy to answer based on my experience and what I have learned from others. For the record, it seems to me that there is just as much variety in intelligence, ambition, and seriousness in Greek life as in the general population. I have sisters who are now doctors and lawyers and others who are still living in college apartments and getting drunk daily.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I was in a sorority and enjoyed it very much. :)

I had a negative opinion of sororities and fraternities when I entered college, but I befriended a number of girls who were in one, and I started going to their events. I joined later in my college years, had a great experience - lots of friendship and leadership - and still keep in touch with many sisters. I'm an advisor for a new chapter now.

What I have learned from talking with sorority and fraternity members is that quality and type of Greek experience varies widely based on location, school, size, age, organization, and so on. I think the small size of and generally accepting attitude at my school made it a good fit for me. :)

If anyone has questions, I would be happy to answer based on my experience and what I have learned from others. For the record, it seems to me that there is just as much variety in intelligence, ambition, and seriousness in Greek life as in the general population. I have sisters who are now doctors and lawyers and others who are still living in college apartments and getting drunk daily.

Did you have to do any hazing? < you don't have to go into details if you don't want. Did it feel like a cult?

Were you just lucky in the people you met, or would you recommend houses of that nature to anyone?

What were the negatives? What were the positives, beyond what you've already mentioned?

How would more introverted people fair?

á´…eparted

passages
Me in a frat? AHAHAHAHAHA! That's a good one. I'd sooner chew sawdust. The whole idea of a frat, pretty much everything about it; from the whole "brotherhood" thing, the community service projects, constant community involvement, constant "unspoken" requirements, inescapeable social network, often focus on partying/drinking, secret society, constant contests for fun (and sometimes for not), lack of personal space/independence, etc. is COMPLETELY repulsive to me. Not in a "this is bad" way, but in a "everything about frats is stuff I do not like" kind of way. Gag me with a spoon.

Hell. No. Was not part of one, never wanted to join one. You couldn't pay me to join one.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tried to start shit with some frat boys once. Well, really, they started shit by insulting a friend at a party and I went all vigilante. My friends had to hold me back and drag me out while the frat boys threatened to call campus security.