• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are some good books to read before starting college?

BWCB1890

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I will be a freshman studying history in the fall. I need to read 1984, Animal Farm, and Fahrenheit 451. I also want to read more of Graham Greene. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Curb Your Enthusiasm. Hilarious.

Don't. You'll do plenty in college.

Mole

Permabanned
The Leopard

I will be a freshman studying history in the fall. I need to read 1984, Animal Farm, and Fahrenheit 451. I also want to read more of Graham Greene. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can't go past, The Leopard, by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. The English translation is good from the Italian, Il Gattopardo.

The Leopard, is the only book written by an Italian diplomat and it is a masterpiece.

And, The Leopard, is an historical novel that chronicles the changes in Sicilian life and society during the Risorgimento of 1860 when Guiseppe Garibaldi united Italy for the first time.

The Leopard, is regarded as one of the ten best historical novels of all time.

The novel was also made into an award-winning 1963 film of the same name, directed by Luchino Visconti and starring Burt Lancaster, Claudia Cardinale and Alain Delon.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Treat yourself and read some of Orwell's non-fiction before you read his fiction. Not only is it a lot of fun, it will give you additional insights into his fiction when you have to read it for class.

The memoir "Down and Out in Paris and London", his account of the Spanish Civil War in "Homage to Catalonia", and the collection of essays "Shooting an Elephant" are your best bets.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Happy Man and his Dump Truck.

This will prepare you for everything.

jLqbO8H.jpg

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

mistborn-trilogy-ppb.jpg