• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the longest period of time you've been unemployed?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a pure information gathering thread.

I'm just curious about how long most people have gone a period of time without being able to find employment.

And this doesn't have to be profession, but just a simple job, such as working at fast food or something. What is the longest period of time you've gone through without being unemployed?

If you were unemployed for any length of time, did you start losing motivation for even finding work? Did you begin to lose a sense of self and identity?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I'll bite.

The longest period I was unemployed for was three months. My internship had just ended and since I was in my senior year of college I decided to focus all my energy on my last semester. Then in January, right after I graduated, I started looking for work.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I did not work before I was 18 because my family thought I should focus on school. I took about one-and-a-half years off before I started studying, during which I did not work. After I started studying, I did various on-campus jobs. After I graduated, I had three months off before I went to Germany. Then I had a one-year contract that was extended another year (it could not be extended any further) and then it took about two months to find another job. After I decided that job wasn't for me, I went directly into the job I had now - so I had about four days off.

So I guess the one-and-a-half year gap was the largest, but I had an internship during that time for three months as well.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I just got a job last week after not working since the end of September, although I had a one-week stint proofreading in October. In December I took a volunteer position at my local library, and I also did a some volunteer jobs for my synagogue.

Yes, applying for jobs and not hearing back is hard and begins to affect one's self-esteem. We're in a downturn, so that kept me from feeling worse than I might have.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
About 7 months. I quit my previous job because I was starting college, and they were notorious for not caring about how few hours people wanted, giving those who didn't want anymore than 25 or so 40. Then I found a job which I've been working for about a year, but it gives too few hours. Figures, can't really find anything in the middle.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp

sweet avatar...

longest i been was for a year during the internet bust.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I'm in college and living off scholarship money, but I did have a job about 9 months ago. I'm familiar with unemployment though - my dad has been unemployed two times since I was born for over a year each time. The second time was due to a previously misdiagnosed bipolar disorder. It sucked both times and I'm deathly afraid of it for myself. He definitely lost motivation in finding work; he was heavily depressed.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been unemployed twice since I was 16.

First time was for about 2 months.
This time, a little over a month.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He definitely lost motivation in finding work; he was heavily depressed.

Yeah, that's me, too. I lost motivation. I've been unemployed for almost two years and I've been turned down employment at several places since then. And I've been turned down countless more interviews.

The trouble I'm having is how do I explain to an employer the two-year gap in between jobs?

It used to be a one-year gap, and the interviews I did score in the past asked me about that. I'm thinking that was what hurt my chances for employment.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, that's me, too. I lost motivation. I've been unemployed for almost two years and I've been turned down employment at several places since then. And I've been turned down countless more interviews.

The trouble I'm having is how do I explain to an employer the two-year gap in between jobs?

It used to be a one-year gap, and the interviews I did score in the past asked me about that. I'm thinking that was what hurt my chances for employment.

If you have a disability that's kept you from working for awhile, they shouldn't hold that against you. In fact, there are employment programs for people in that situation.

I recommend job counseling. I went a few times and it was very helpful. A professional should be able to help you handle the job gap question.

Volunteering in an area in which I wanted to work, taking courses that could benefit me in future jobs and keeping physically active were all useful for staving off discouragement.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I guess the longest i've been unemployed was about a year, but i was only actively seeking employment for about 3 of those months.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Ok Falcarius has a confession, depending on how one defines the word "unemployed" he has been unemployed anything up to three years.:doh:

Same here, do they really want Falcarius to tell them how he is academically retarded and keeps dropping out of college? Or how Falcarius spend his average day for the last few years like this? :rolleyes:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've been working since I've been old enough to work.

It's wut I dew.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Not counting times when I was a full-time student, the longest I've gone without working was a year--the last three months of my first pregnancy, and the first nine months after my daughter was born. But I've not had a lot of traditional employment--I was a nanny for a long time, then a childcare provider in my own home, and most recently a freelance writer-editor, also at home. The last time I had a job like most people define a job, I was 17-18 and worked at Toys R Us for 2 months and then a record store for a year.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've also had a habit of acting bizarre in the workplace in the past (in a goofy way). It's the one place where I was able to entertain others. Unfortunately, I lost jobs for expressing my off-the-wall ideas. But unfortunately, it's in a conforming work setting where I feel energized doing it.

And when I wasn't acting off-the-wall, I was cursing people out or slacking off because the work environment was uncomfortable.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Awesome for you.

I hate working, and only do it when I absolutely have to.
Me too. And I don't have to work, so I've never had a "real" job before :party2:

Uber, I hope you don't put that on your resume :laugh:

Oso Mocoso

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well, unless you count being unemployed while I was a full-time college student, I've only been unemployed for two months since I was 16. That time *sucked*, and I was full of anxiety. Right now, I'm looking at almost two weeks next month that I'll be unemployed between being a grad student and having a final job interview with a company I really hope to work for.