• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How realistic is it to shoot for your dream job?

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
We're often told as children to shoot for our dreams and not to let anything hold us back, but as soon as we hit secondary education we're told to choose careers that are profitable and can sustain us in the long run.

Right now I'm majoring in Arts and Culture Journalism (after a lifetime of being pushed to do engineering by my dad), and I'm aware that there probably won't be many job opportunities in my field, and the ones I do receive most likely won't be the best paying. I've been wondering whether or not I should pick up another major in something more "practical" or if I should mainly focus my energy into what I'm doing now.

What has been your experience in this area?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It depends on what you want most, your dream, or comfort and financial stability. Personally I choose the latter. My dream has changed throughout my life anyways, so long as Im doing something which puts my innate capacities to use, rather than flipping fries, Im happy; especially since I aspire to be financially stable, so as to better enjoy life outside of work.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Honestly, it depends on the realistic expectations of having a dream job, and your willingness to put in effort.

If your dream is to be a CEO, or a senator--you can definitely work on that. It's possible. I don't know if you'll succeed, but it is possible, and quite do-able. People do it all the time.

But if your dream job is something vague... Like being an artist, for example. There are so many kinds of artists. There are people that do just art for a living--and people that do art for fun because they don't want the pressure of financial stability and food getting in the way of their creative nature.

But don't go to school for something 'more practical' unless you want to work something more practical. No, journalism won't land you a ton of awesome jobs right off the bat. But that doesn't mean good job opportunities don't exist. You'll have to put in a lot of your own leg work and time to land something decent, and there will be many days of careful budgeting and spending un-paid volunteer time making a resume and reputation for yourself.

But if you want it, and that's what you're aiming to do, and you work hard.. you can have it. That's not at all an issue. You might need to do things no one else is willing to do--and that's usually what stands people out from the crowds--but you can do them. Engineering pays a lot--but you're also working as an engineer. If you don't like, at all, what you're doing to get to that point, chances are you won't love it in the world field either. If you like what you're doing in school, get involved in it.

Nick Saban, a pretty famous football coach around here, literally forgot his own birthday. He breathes football. That's what he does. And it shows in his work. If you dream of working as a particular anything-at-all, you have to make that your life and passion.

For me, no single job will provide that passion. My passion is traveling, and I'm not fighting the plethora of people trying to scramble for traveling jobs. I'd rather get a viable job I can pick up and drop off at anywhere in the US and some of the world, and travel in my spare time. I just went with a job that allows me to travel (both financially and schedule-wise) that I don't hate (i.e. helping people and getting proficient at tasks and drills). It all depends on what you're dreaming about.

Even if you don't breathe your career, it's possible to get a decent one somewhere doing something. Working for a magazine, newspaper, etc. and writing reviews and interviewing people.. people are still highly entertained by that stuff and people are starting to get more into culture. It's not impossible. So let's not think that. It's hard.. yes. but not impossible. Patience and persistence are virtues.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I think it's very important to have a plan B, as well as thinking about a safer, reasonable way of realising your dreams. Let me tell you my story, because I think it's directly relevant to all this.

A year or two ago, I wanted to become an academic philosopher. I was doing my Master's, thinking that I was working towards my dream. What I eventually found was that what it means to have a job as a philosopher was very different from being a philosophy student/enthusiast. I liked to think of ideas and talk about them in a friendly environment -- that's what I fell in love with as an undergrad (I would get major Ne highs and chills running down my back), and what I enjoyed as a tutor. It was the social bit of philosophy I adored -- a safe haven where insightful concepts could be shared -- an ENFP's dream. As an academic however, I would spend the vast majority of my job by myself -- struggling with the same few pages endlessly and writing my own shit well into the night. Therefore my dream of being a philosopher, the elements in philosophy I enjoyed, did not actually align with what the job of being a philosopher mostly required. See the difference? Now I know that academia's not for me, and really wished I would've taken more practical papers like economics, law, and statistics, so I could package them together with my philosophy degree to get a public policy job. I'm going back to school next semester to do a graduate diploma in stats. So as difficult as it may be, you have to ask yourself, Is this really my dream? Is this really what I want to do as a career? And what if I'm wrong?

My dream now is to be a great writer, and to become that creative person I always wished to be. Here's the important bit though -- I'm not just going to drop everything, maybe get a degree in English, and do nothing but write. That's not a realistic way of sustaining the dream. Instead, I'm going to try and find a career which I still enjoy, one where I could go out see things, learn how the world works more, be financially secure, and still have time for my own projects (which in New Zealand, isn't hard. Most people work reasonable hours and still have the weekends to themselves). All of those things will still help me as a writer, directly or indirectly. Right now, the plan is to get involved with policy, but hey, if I get a chance to become, say, the editor of a magazine, or to help run a community project promoting kids to be creative, I'd consider those too. Neil Gaiman -- one of the greatest authors in our time imo -- said his dream was always to make a creative career using his words, but the road to that dream was a marathon not a sprint. Your dream's like a distant mountain that you want to get to, and as long as the things in your life are taking you closer to that mountain, you're in good shape. Shoot for your dreams, but be thoughtful, be patient, and figure out the best way of getting there.

W

WhoCares

We're often told as children to shoot for our dreams and not to let anything hold us back

I've gone for my dream job everytime and achieved it. My dream job has changed over the years but I never settled nor let praciticalities rule me. I'm exiting my latest dream career which has lasted 6yrs, and I'll give myself a 2 year transition strategy to acheive it. I desire to become a self employed artisan now and I'll get there. Just a matter if choosing a focus since I'm trained in many disciplines and lots of things interest me. :newwink:

Your parents are letting their limitations set yours. They mean well but its their limitations. I remember my mother pouring cold water on every idea I had and yet I succeeded where she thought I was lost in fantasy and daydreams. They're not always right you know. But if you choose to not take their advice then you have to take responsibility for whatever outcome ensues. Which is fair.

Freesia

cool cat
MBTI Type
Meow
Enneagram
:0)
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It depends on what you want most, your dream, or comfort and financial stability. Personally I choose the latter. My dream has changed throughout my life anyways, so long as Im doing something which puts my innate capacities to use, rather than flipping fries, Im happy; especially since I aspire to be financially stable, so as to better enjoy life outside of work.

I've never seriously considered this option, but it totally makes sense that you're goals change throughout life and that financial stability allows one to flow through the changes that much more easily.

My dream job is to time travel so not very for me

:laugh:

But if your dream job is something vague... Like being an artist, for example. There are so many kinds of artists. There are people that do just art for a living--and people that do art for fun because they don't want the pressure of financial stability and food getting in the way of their creative nature.
I think it's very important to have a plan B, as well as thinking about a safer, reasonable way of realising your dreams. Let me tell you my story, because I think it's directly relevant to all this.

A year or two ago, I wanted to become an academic philosopher. I was doing my Master's, thinking that I was working towards my dream. What I eventually found was that what it means to have a job as a philosopher was very different from being a philosophy student/enthusiast. I liked to think of ideas and talk about them in a friendly environment -- that's what I fell in love with as an undergrad (I would get major Ne highs and chills running down my back), and what I enjoyed as a tutor. It was the social bit of philosophy I adored -- a safe haven where insightful concepts could be shared -- an ENFP's dream. As an academic however, I would spend the vast majority of my job by myself -- struggling with the same few pages endlessly and writing my own shit well into the night. Therefore my dream of being a philosopher, the elements in philosophy I enjoyed, did not actually align with what the job of being a philosopher mostly required. See the difference? Now I know that academia's not for me, and really wished I would've taken more practical papers like economics, law, and statistics, so I could package them together with my philosophy degree to get a public policy job. I'm going back to school next semester to do a graduate diploma in stats. So as difficult as it may be, you have to ask yourself, Is this really my dream? Is this really what I want to do as a career? And what if I'm wrong?

This is my main problem; I (vaguely) know what I want, but I'm not sure what the best way to get there is. My end goal is to become writer, but I'm not sure what's the best way to get there. I purposely chose a major that was ambiguous enough that it encompassed many of my interests while still furthering me. I'm just afraid of working really hard in my current major only to realize that I didn't realize what I was getting into and being trapped in a career that I don't want to be doing.

I've gone for my dream job everytime and achieved it. My dream job has changed over the years but I never settled nor let praciticalities rule me. I'm exiting my latest dream career which has lasted 6yrs, and I'll give myself a 2 year transition strategy to acheive it. I desire to become a self employed artisan now and I'll get there. Just a matter if choosing a focus since I'm trained in many disciplines and lots of things interest me. :newwink:

I'm glad it's working out for you so far :hug:

Your parents are letting their limitations set yours. They mean well but its their limitations. I remember my mother pouring cold water on every idea I had and yet I succeeded where she thought I was lost in fantasy and daydreams. They're not always right you know. But if you choose to not take their advice then you have to take responsibility for whatever outcome ensues. Which is fair.

This is true. I spent so many years fighting to do what I want and it's just now that I realize that I'm lost in terms of what I'm doing. I have a better understanding of what I don't want than what I actually do... I guess I'll have to find out how to do that for myself and prove them wrong.

But if you want it, and that's what you're aiming to do, and you work hard.. you can have it. That's not at all an issue. You might need to do things no one else is willing to do--and that's usually what stands people out from the crowds--but you can do them. Engineering pays a lot--but you're also working as an engineer. If you don't like, at all, what you're doing to get to that point, chances are you won't love it in the world field either. If you like what you're doing in school, get involved in it.

Nick Saban, a pretty famous football coach around here, literally forgot his own birthday. He breathes football. That's what he does. And it shows in his work. If you dream of working as a particular anything-at-all, you have to make that your life and passion.

For me, no single job will provide that passion. My passion is traveling, and I'm not fighting the plethora of people trying to scramble for traveling jobs. I'd rather get a viable job I can pick up and drop off at anywhere in the US and some of the world, and travel in my spare time. I just went with a job that allows me to travel (both financially and schedule-wise) that I don't hate (i.e. helping people and getting proficient at tasks and drills). It all depends on what you're dreaming about.

Even if you don't breathe your career, it's possible to get a decent one somewhere doing something. Working for a magazine, newspaper, etc. and writing reviews and interviewing people.. people are still highly entertained by that stuff and people are starting to get more into culture. It's not impossible. So let's not think that. It's hard.. yes. but not impossible. Patience and persistence are virtues.
My dream now is to be a great writer, and to become that creative person I always wished to be. Here's the important bit though -- I'm not just going to drop everything, maybe get a degree in English, and do nothing but write. That's not a realistic way of sustaining the dream. Instead, I'm going to try and find a career which I still enjoy, one where I could go out see things, learn how the world works more, be financially secure, and still have time for my own projects (which in New Zealand, isn't hard. Most people work reasonable hours and still have the weekends to themselves). All of those things will still help me as a writer, directly or indirectly. Right now, the plan is to get involved with policy, but hey, if I get a chance to become, say, the editor of a magazine, or to help run a community project promoting kids to be creative, I'd consider those too. Neil Gaiman -- one of the greatest authors in our time imo -- said his dream was always to make a creative career using his words, but the road to that dream was a marathon not a sprint. Your dream's like a distant mountain that you want to get to, and as long as the things in your life are taking you closer to that mountain, you're in good shape. Shoot for your dreams, but be thoughtful, be patient, and figure out the best way of getting there.

W

WhoCares

Right now I'm majoring in Arts and Culture Journalism (after a lifetime of being pushed to do engineering by my dad), and I'm aware that there probably won't be many job opportunities in my field...

Personally I think you should immerse yourself in all the aspects of this degree that interest you. Narrow it down as to what it is about art, culture and journalism that keeps you focused there. When you've graduated grab a bag and globetrot seeking those aspects all around the world then I'm pretty sure the answer will be obvious to you. I'm guessing you're relatively young? Under 30? So check out what foreign temporary visas are accessible to you to enable you to do this. You can always hold down that boring safe job inbetween....:D

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
If you have a dream, go for it. Those of us who have none left will cheer you on, or condemn you, humanity is fickle like that.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
It may not be very realistic, but if everyone stops trying, no one would reach it and we'd all be the same. Who knows, maybe you're the one to be lucky. And believe me, it takes more luck than skill. Go for it, I know I will.

ygolo

My termites win
There are some professions that if you don't have a passion for it, you are not going to do it particularly well.

With that said, once you get good, passion can wane, and you can float into a 9-5 job that pays well and gives you plenty of family time and time for hobbies. That route was open to me, but I chose instead to seek something else I might be passionate about. I don't see anything wrong with either decision.

In addition, I think searching for "the perfect job" is not going to be that good either. Master something you enjoy and believe has a purpose and you can use that to move in different directions using what you've learned. My research adviser recently told me he believed I could do anything with my background because I've already mastered something. (not in those exact words)

wildflower

when i was in my early 20s i went to a career counselor because i was having trouble figuring out what career to pursue. the one thing i always remembered that the counselor said was to pick something that you are really good at and also have a real passion for. i think that is good advice. personally, i'd rather go for the dream job over the practical job any day of the week. of course this may mean you won't make oodles of money but personally i'll take being happy & fulfilled over lots of money. i doubt anyone really regrets not pursuing the drab, practical job. people frequently do regret not pursuing their dreams. and, you can always do the practical job if giving your all to your dream job doesn't work out.

i'd suggest making good use of the career counselors at your college to learn more about what jobs you'd be best suited for within your field. career counseling centers can be a wonderful resource. since you want to work in journalism one of the best things i'd think you could do is to start a blog if you haven't already. it's a lot of fun and i think it will help you refine your interests and make contacts.

full disclosure: i'm not very practical so take what i say with a big ole grain of practical salt. ;)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not to be all Nike, but just do it if that's what you want to do. You'll never know until you try. Sometimes we need to take risks which may exceed all supposed rational thinking and planning if we want to accomplish anything worthwhile in this short, impermanent lifespan we are cursed with.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
figure out some solid what if plans but go for it.
do something every single day to help you get a step closer.

the way i look at it seriously is that you spend more time at work (usually) then anything else. so it's as much your life as anything else rather or not you admit that to yourself. so make it all good. be happy and excited to start your day. be obsessed with it. feel passionate every day.

and then go home and be in love with the people you spend the rest of your time with.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Generally it's doable with a lot more work than expected and less pay that hoped for.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Everyone says follow your dreams, but it's hard to know exactly what that entails, especially if you don't have anyone's footsteps to follow, and even if you did there's no guarantee that what worked for someone else then will work for you now. I picked my major because I thought it was something I could do and I thought it would allow me to work anywhere in the civillized world. I majored in computer science and it worked out pretty much how I expected. It's not my passion exactly, but I didn't really have one at the time, at least not one that makes money. Some people love fishing, but they don't get jobs as fishermen. I mean that's a really hazardous job, one weekend a month is enough fishing for most.

If cultural art journalism is really your dream, there's nothing stopping you from doing it right now. Go somewhere, and write about their culture and art and shit and publish it. I don't know if student debt will be a problem for you, but you don't need to fork out all that money to do something you could do as an amateur. Are you into it enough that you'd want to spend all of your time on it, and stake your livelihood on your capacity to produce quality material?

ShadowPage

Realistic. Hah. The discussion of realistic goals has often been a hazy, ill-defined one as far as I can tell.

Do you mean a job that easy to get? Well, depending on what part of the world you live in, you have far more factors than just a given degree to worry about.
Do you mean a job that is in high demand, so that even if it's not easy to get there are lot of positions available?
Do you mean a job that nobody likes, but at least it pays well enough to keep you fed, clothed, sheltered and in good health?
Do you mean a job that you can network your way into? Because who you know proves to be so frustratingly much more important than what you know. (Yes, I'm bitter)

What exactly is realistic here? To me, I had been led to believe that a realistic job is a combination of the second and third points. It's got to be in high demand so that I can fall into a position somewhere even with factors working against me, and pay well enough to sustain my human existence. Not much place in there for whether I like it or not, eh? :rolleyes:

And it looks like that's what you're really asking. Are 'Realistic' and 'Enjoyable' mutually exclusive? Depending on what it is you like and here in society you fall, they need not be. So is Arts and Journalism your passion? Is it something that occupies a strong place in your self-image? Because there's work that can be found with practice in the arts- real work. So it may not going to fulfill that first point. Or that second. Does that mean that it's now not realistic?

Is it just something that you prefer to engineering (I'm sorry that you were being pushed. That sort of thing rarely has the motivating effect parents seem to think it will), and it's a matter of "Better A than B?" Because that's a bit unfortunate, too.

Let me back up a little. I am not saying that just because you're passionate about something, there is always a way to make it marketable, and by extension, profitable. I am quite unimpressed with that "Follow your dreams! Always!" rhetoric myself because I don't have dreams like that. But for you, it could work with some level of effort that can only be determined by you. There is something to be said for seeing work as less an obligation and more a vocation. If you can identify with your work, it's probably easier to hone that work you enjoy and turn it into something that can sustain you.

I'm in the same boat as you, to be perfectly honest. I feel like I'm being forced to consider how hard it is to do anything where I live every time I think about how I'll sustain myself. I got lucky in that the stuff that interests me is currently very marketable, but how long is *that* going to last, you know?

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My dream job is to be a doctor. After a long time of not pursuing that, I've decided that there's not really anything else I can imagine preferring doing with my time, besides not working - and I know from my brief stint of unemployment after college that not working gets boring really, really quickly. So I got an allied healthcare job, started taking the prerequisite science classes, and will start volunteering soon. To me it doesn't feel unrealistic, because every time I get bored at my part-time jobs, I daydream about what I would rather being doing. Yeah it will be long and difficult, but would I rather be doing anything else? Nope...

Chthonic

'Realistic' is what people use to justfy why they are doing something other than what they really want to do. You are welcome to tread the same path if you wish.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
We're often told as children to shoot for our dreams and not to let anything hold us back, but as soon as we hit secondary education we're told to choose careers that are profitable and can sustain us in the long run.

Right now I'm majoring in Arts and Culture Journalism (after a lifetime of being pushed to do engineering by my dad), and I'm aware that there probably won't be many job opportunities in my field, and the ones I do receive most likely won't be the best paying. I've been wondering whether or not I should pick up another major in something more "practical" or if I should mainly focus my energy into what I'm doing now.

Well, I spent a year trying out a biology course. I found the massive amounts of rote learning, mere memorization and regurgitation, uninspiring and very stressful, and I was under a lot of pressure from my parents.

I've always been musical and wanted to do something with that, so now, I'm studying composition and music history and hopefully conducting next year. I don't expect to make millions but I'm optimistic about job prospects.