• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

General Science and Algebra I/II books.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I am trying to keep the breadth of my knowledge from deteriorating any further (the things I've studied in college are soooooo variable.) I am looking for some general books sort of like high school books that I can use as a tool to relearn a lot of the stuff that I have sort of forgotten but vaguely remember what to do.

Two textbooks that I really want are General Science and Algebra I/II textbooks.

Topics that I want included for General Science would be something like ecology, biology, general physics, temperature and chemistry. Like a temperate forest versus a deciduous forest, terms like velocity and momentum, temperature conversion of C and F (probably don't need this) understanding chemical make-up of atoms (EX: H2O, HCL, CO2.... yada yada.)

Topics that I want included in Algebra are linear algebra (like binomials,) graphs, and geometry.

A lot of the stuff I vaguely remember, and I can't find any of my Algebra or Science books.... I only have Trigonometry and Calculus books. Won't help much. :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I say previous edition community college textbooks are particularly useful. I'll give you a list of the ones I kept for their clarity and ease of reading when I get home.

F

FigerPuppet

Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide

This is the economical choice for a comprehensive undergraduate mathematics textbook, which hitches onto and recapitulates US high school curriculum to give students the same baseline of knowledge before moving on to more advanced subjects. I used it myself in my first year of university for linear algebra and complex numbers. Excluding price, comprehensive guides are in general not as good as books written on a single subject, but they do a good enough job when you want to go over a broad range of related subjects and your starting point isn't advanced.

An Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements (aka The Bible)

I know you didn't request anything related to statistical methods, but this is an easy-and-fun-to-read book that will teach you concepts that are absolutely priceless to any natural scientist. The book's teachings are at the core of the modern scientific method, and I definitely think it will be helpful to you even if you don't plan on going into any sciences.
You can download the entire book here if you don't want to buy it without a preview.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide

This is the economical choice for a comprehensive undergraduate mathematics textbook, which hitches onto and recapitulates US high school curriculum to give students the same baseline of knowledge before moving on to more advanced subjects. I used it myself in my first year of university for linear algebra and complex numbers. Excluding price, comprehensive guides are in general not as good as books written on a single subject, but they do a good enough job when you want to go over a broad range of related subjects and your starting point isn't advanced.

An Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements (aka The Bible)

I know you didn't request anything related to statistical methods, but this is an easy-and-fun-to-read book that will teach you concepts that are absolutely priceless to any natural scientist. The book's teachings are at the core of the modern scientific method, and I definitely think it will be helpful to you even if you don't plan on going into any sciences.
You can download the entire book here if you don't want to buy it without a preview.

Ohhh god..... that math book is expensive @.@.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Alright! Here's what I use in order from least to most expensive:

- Free: Khan Academy and coursera and youtube. They're really awesome for basic math skills especially.

https://www.khanacademy.org/ I especially like Khan Academy, they're really easy to use, and they have details and the way the 'courses' are set up are really easy--you can skip to sections you need to re-learn. I find it more beneficial than just a math book alone--and, you can always research questions online via google for practice quizzing, but they have some quizzes on the site I believe. I know coursera does that.

Coursera has more structure to it, and lots of quizzes and professor-style assistance and help when you need it, so you can sign up for any number of classes and participate in them on a weekly basis.

Youtube is great for specific questions--there are professors, students, and normal people that love this stuff teaching on there for free all the time. You look up how to calculate ABGs, they show you how to get it right every time without fail.

- Cheap: Renting Amazon books.

The Nutrition manuals from Amazon are great for brushing up on the basics of proteins, carbs and sugars, and vitamins and such. I liked this one a lot: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7JUIAK/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it's only $15 for 60 days of rental. Enough to work through a chapter, write down the main points, and go on.
That's just one example. You can rent textbooks on there all the time for 30-90 days for a fraction of the cost of a new textbook.

- Cheap, but requires leg work: Previous edition textbooks.

Go to your local college bookstore. Look at the books they have available for the classes they're teaching: biology, for example, or microbiology. Then, look up that author's previous editions. 1 edition or 2 back will MASSIVELY drop in price and be widely available because of the textbook market being a total mess. You can capitalize on this and get a $160 textbook for like $20-40 dollars because students won't be able to buy old editions.

Textbooks that I love that I'm sure if they don't have new editions yet, they will soon:
- Medical Terminology A living Language by Fremgen
- Human Anatomy and Physiology by Maneb
- Pathophysiology: A biological basis for disease in adults and children .. I have the 4th edition, but the 3rd edition has mostly correct information
- Personal Nutrition by Boyle
- Microbiology: With diseases by body system by Bauman

- Less reliable but still cheap: Half Price Books
They usually sell "X subject made easy!" books there, or CLEP study books which have the added benefit of having CDs sometimes, and they usually get straight to the main teaching points.

- Expensive but affordable: The Kaplan MCAT crunch series and HESI exam study guides.

After you've worked your way through some free online courses, you can always go to the local library for HESI books. You can buy them too, they're expensive, but they do a great job of teaching from the very bottom up, depending on how advanced you want to go--entrance HESI exam study guides are WAY easier than further editions for like the NCLEX or something.. So just browse through the different kinds.

I highly recommend the entrance HESI because, while the math is far too easy in it, it does a very thorough job of teaching each section in its absolute basics. Physics, grammar, vocabulary, math.. it literally starts from addition and subtraction and works its way up the ladder. So if you're starting from zero with a subject, and they have it, it's a great place to start, and most colleges have it for free to rent for a few days at a time.

The MCAT study books are pretty good too. I ordered them when I was determined to study to take the MCAT as a back up plan for nursing. I use this series for the basics of things, and I love it because it's really a summary of subjects in order. it doesn't go far into detail, it just refreshes the memory of what you were taught--if I get confused on a particular section, I can look it up on youtube, and then check the block and move on. And they have quizzy questions too.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] Just started messing around with khan academy, I might make it my go to source for math related studying. I will probably borrow a relative's book when it comes to biology and chemistry late May.

But yes, I can look up on course schedules for beginning biology and chemistry and just buy those books. The bookstore doesn't care if you are in the course or not to buy the books.

ygolo

My termites win
Khan Academy and corsera are good.

There's a huge list of books I think are great. Dover publication republishes a lot of great cheap books(that Amazon often price cuts for Kindle versions)

I also recommend:
6 easy pieces
6 not so easy pieces
How to Solve it
What to Solve
The Chemical History of a Candle
The Art of Electronics
Godel, Echer, Bach
Mathematical Theory of Communication
Dirac's lectures on quantum mechanics
Einstein's popular lectures on relativity
A brief history of time
Origin of Species
Stryer's Biochemistry
Biochemical calculations
Pauling's General Chemistry
The Business of Software
Design Patterns

The list is pretty long, but that, I think, is a really good start. The first 4 is a really good start on algebra based science and math. There's some calculus in Dirac's lecture, Shannon's information theory, and the art of electronics, but the most just uses algebra.