• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I've decided to learn russian

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm employing different sources i'm right now focusing on sounds of the letters, which is actually helping pronociations of words, though so some sounds when they're in the middle of a word, is harder for me to pronounce than when they're at the beginning or end of the word нет i know means no and is pronounced n' yet ж i am having trouble with that letter though

it's hard but fun

S

Sniffles

ж i am having trouble with that letter though

Pronouncing it? It's pretty much a zh sound. It's kinda like how you pronounce the "s" in fusion or measure. Gives you an idea how it sounds using English words.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Pronouncing it? It's pretty much a zh sound. It's kinda like how you pronounce the "s" in fusion or measure. Gives you an idea how it sounds using English words.

yeah i'm practicing, it reminds me of the bottom of the orthodox cross.

Alea_iacta_est

I know how to pronounce each letter of the Russian Alphabet and can read it phonetically (I know which letter means what), but I never got around to understanding the words and grammar structure (which I've heard has conjugations similar to that of Latin and other Past European language bases, though Russian does have Uralic language influences as well). I need to get around to learning the damn words and syntax soon.

If you do learn Russian, translate some Socionics documents for us.

S

Sniffles

I know how to pronounce each letter of the Russian Alphabet and can read it phonetically (I know which letter means what), but I never got around to understanding the words and grammar structure (which I've heard has conjugations similar to that of Latin and other Past European language bases, though Russian does have Uralic language influences as well). I need to get around to learning the damn words and syntax soon.

If you do learn Russian, translate some Socionics documents for us.

Allow me to blunt: the grammar is a massive pain in the ass. Even many Russians think it's needlessly complicated, and often tell foreigners interested in learning that they're incredibly insane.

Although the similarity you mention with Latin is something I've noticed too. They're both Indo-European languages, so that might explain the possible similarities.

Alea_iacta_est

Allow me to blunt: the grammar is a massive pain in the ass. Even many Russians think it's needlessly complicated, and often tell foreigners interested in learning that they're incredibly insane.

Although the similarity you mention with Latin is something I've noticed too. They're both Indo-European languages, so that might explain the possible similarities.

Yeah, though I don't think that Russian crams all of the endings on the verb as much as Latin (could be wrong). It's incredible that a word like aedificabuntur can comprise the majority of a sentence due to the fact it includes subject data, passive/active data, tense data, singular/plural data, etc.

S

Sniffles

Yeah, though I don't think that Russian crams all of the endings on the verb as much as Latin (could be wrong).
Oh it crams more than just the endings of the verb. Almost every other word in the sentence besides the subject gets altered. And the endings of certain cases are almost identical.

Problem I have is being genuinely immersed in the language. Russian isn't exactly widely spoken this side of the Atlantic(unless you're in the Chicago area), and listening to it on the internet(while helpful) isn't entirely the same.

Alea_iacta_est

Oh it crams more than just the endings of the verb. Almost every other word in the sentence besides the subject gets altered. And the endings of certain cases are almost identical.

Does it have the same ending structures with Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, Ablative, Vocative (or similar names, idk) as well?

Alea_iacta_est

It depends. What's an Ablative case? I don't recall hearing about that in Russian.

Here's a rough rundown of Russian cases:
http://masterrussian.com/blcasetable.shtml

Ablative is basically prepositional phrases in English and is utilized in some other language mechanics that I can't recall at this very moment.

Here's what the Latin structure looks like (with its 5 declension each denoting a specific gender or two specific genders), I'll be definitely checking out those cases.

Daenera

Rogue heart
It might be a good idea to find some movies or tv series in Russian with English subtitles, and get a feel for the language, worry about grammar and writing later.

R

Riva

Since I haven't noticed any active Russian members around here:

For someone who doesn't speak Russian (like me), Russian sounds like a lot of short meaningless grunting sounds made while beating the chest.

Me Russian. Grrr Grr..

R

Riva

Hey you!:hug: И јас сакам да научам руски!:)

Oh shit. Didn't know you were Russian.

I wonder what is it that you wrote in Russian? Nice to meet you by the way dear Daenera.

Hmm.. now that I think of it there is another mildly active Russian (ENFP I think) here.

Daenera

Rogue heart
Oh shit. Didn't know you were Russian.

I wonder what is it that you wrote in Russian? Nice to meet you by the way dear Daenera.

Hmm.. now that I think of it there is another mildly active Russian (ENFP I think) here.

Hey! Nice to meet you too. :hi:

Nope. I'm not Russian, I'm Macedonian, but there is some similarity between the two languages so I partially understand what he writes, I actually wrote: I want to learn Russian too. :)

Daenera

Rogue heart
Since I haven't noticed any active Russian members around here:

For someone who doesn't speak Russian (like me), Russian sounds like a lot of short meaningless grunting sounds made while beating the chest.

Me Russian. Grrr Grr..

This girl has a similar experience to yours, I think :laugh:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm having a hard time with the word (and sorry if I spell it wrong, and using the english alphabet, as I haven't gotten a full grasp of the russian one)

heres what I know of the russian
alphabet
b-v
д-d
е-ye
ж-zh

so only four letters
vwe panamyeche
"you understand" is what i'm trying to say, but I'm having a really hard time saying it, like my mouth stumbles

I can hear it, and mentally I know how to say it-but physically I can't. I have this same problem with english. So I can't say some words and I was in speech therapy as a kid, because of it.