• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moving far away without a job lined up

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hello everybody. I've got a predicament and I'd like some input.

I'm from delaware. Moved to Florida after graduating college (2010). Its REALLY not working out. I literally have more friends in delaware than i do in florida. So I'm moving. Here's what I'm considering:

1. moving back to delaware (rural town, i hate it), and interviewing in nearby baltimore, annapolis, new york city, and possibly philly - major urban areas

2. move to seattle. The seattle-portland-vancouver is a 5 hour strip with 9 million people. Also, I hear its the capital of indie music (i am a singer/songwriter and need to be around like-people)

but woah, woah, wait a minute. Run, didn't you just move somewhere on a whim and it didn't work out, and you want to up and leave again?

well, seattle looks more prospective than baltimore, annapolis, or suburban long island. and i won't be living with my parents again. I'm 25. That's enough.

So what makes sense? What jumps out at you? I personally want to up and leave, but I don't want to be dumb, and be yet another year out of teaching school without a job. (It's been 4 already). If I don't get hired in 11 weeks, I might have to wait another year.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Also, I'd save money if I moved back to Delaware. Actually, I'd hardly have any bills at all up there.

Also, I just picked up my math certification, which Portland will honor. Math is mad in demand right now. There's literally just as many math jobs in Florida as there are all other jobs put together.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm from Annapolis and I say move to Seattle lol. I'm very grateful I decided to move to the west coast when I was 19.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I say that I'd never tell anybody to move somewhere where they didn't have a job lined up, that's crazy and you deserve any trouble you make for yourself. Crazy doesn't ask for advice, though.

I did it last year and I love it out here on the West coast. I know a couple of musicians from South Carolina that had trouble making a life for themselves in the Bay Area here, but love up there in Portland.

W

WhoCares

I've moved many times in a whim and the latest move is the only one where I had a job to go to. The thing is, you can make anywhere work if you want to. But sometimes a place just doesnt agree with us. I moved to the tropics at one time expecting to love it and hated it. When that happens, I admit an error and move on as quickly as possible. While I had a job there and could easily have settled there the culture just wasnt right for me. I am now moving far south again (cold climate in the southern hemisphere) and it suits me much better.

Making mistakes doesnt matter, moving on from them does. Just because you dont like florida doesnt mean you wont like seattle or its people. You know one thing, you hate where you came from, so why go back there?

wolfy

awsm
You don't have any people to look after and the only one to suffer will be you. Do whatever you want.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't have any people to look after and the only one to suffer will be you. Do whatever you want.

Exactly. And if things go terribly, you always have your parents' house as a safety net :shrug:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've considered moving back to Ohio of all places even though there is so much to explore in this part of the country. Trouble is that my job here prevents me from exploring much as I work every day of the year.

I would love to move closer to the west coast, but I have no friends or family to help me get set up, and i'm pretty clueless as to what kinds of jobs are out there.

Let's just say that Vegas isn't exactly terrible, but having lived in Ohio all my life before then, I now realize that there is a lot out there to explore and I now feel like I'm in a prison.

Why did I consider moving back to ohio? Because that's the one place where I have friends and family. What I really want is a career change. My current career is a prison.