• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Looking for recommendations of interesting courses

blurry

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I just got accepted to the university here :D and am wondering what courses to take. I don't have a particular career in mind yet - although being a professor would be great, and I think I'd be good at it (but I hear it's crazy hard to get into that world: Publish or Perish to become a professor, as they say)...So I think first year I'm just going to take different courses that are interesting, see what sticks.

My question for you guys is: are there any courses you took that you found super interesting, maybe surprisingly interesting? I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts but wouldn't mind taking some science courses. Here are some of my big interests:

- History (of the East in particular, and the history of Eastern Religions fascinates me...also the history of ancient civilizations)
- Anatomy (a science course, but so interesting to see how the body is constructed)
- Philosophy, Psychology
- Nutrition

I feel like there's almost nothing I wouldn't be interested in, really. So, any suggestions for cool courses? TIA! :hi:

Qre:us

Congratulations!

There's so many possibilities, of learning and discovering! Just make sure that you buckle down and choose a stream, focus, before your 4 years run out. Otherwise, it can be an expensive learning experince without any marketable skills.

- History (of the East in particular, and the history of Eastern Religions fascinates me...also the history of ancient civilizations)
* I really enjoyed two courses I took on Death and Dying. They dealt with the rituals surrounding death and dying in different cultures, and taps into Eastern religions
- Philosophy
* A good one to start off with is "Critical Thinking/Critical Reasoning" or "Introduction to Logic" - it sets the foundation
* Courses on ethics were also highly interesting, and my particular interests led me to take many courses on Theories of Gender and Sexuality and Race Theory (this fell under Philosophy and Cultural Studies)
- Psychology
* Depends on what branch of psychology interests you. There's also, "Philosophy of the Mind", which is highly interesting

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
One of my favorite-ever courses was on "Ancient Non-Western Literature". Ended up being that our professor was a tiny ADHD guy obsessed with ancient China, so he regularly brought in these big ancient scrolls and read from them and taught us how to pronounce in ancient Chinese. We learned lots of ancient Chinese morals from fables.

I also really enjoyed an Anthropology course on disability. Our professor was a brilliant woman who'd had a stroke, which inspired her to create the class. It was excellent.

I feel like personally I got the most out of "holistic-y" courses that overlapped disciplines and brought together learning and enjoyment and wellbeing.

blurry

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Thanks for the suggestions!

I took a course on Death and Dying in Eastern religions a couple years ago, and loved it. Definitely something I'd like to get more into.
And theoretical philosophy sounds like where it's at.
As far as psychology, I'm very interested in Jung's work with dreams, the subconscious, symbols, all that stuff...
I wonder if the school offers specific courses on MBTI or personality theory in general? That would be something I'd have to take.

blurry

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
One of my favorite-ever courses was on "Ancient Non-Western Literature". Ended up being that our professor was a tiny ADHD guy obsessed with ancient China, so he regularly brought in these big ancient scrolls and read from them and taught us how to pronounce in ancient Chinese. We learned lots of ancient Chinese morals from fables.

I also really enjoyed an Anthropology course on disability. Our professor was a brilliant woman who'd had a stroke, which inspired her to create the class. It was excellent.

I feel like personally I got the most out of "holistic-y" courses that overlapped disciplines and brought together learning and enjoyment and wellbeing.

Very cool! Nothing like learning from a scroll.

Yeah - holistic courses seem to have more practical use in the real world, where you don't just learn theory, but how it applies to you and your life...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just got accepted to the university here :D and am wondering what courses to take. I don't have a particular career in mind yet - although being a professor would be great, and I think I'd be good at it (but I hear it's crazy hard to get into that world: Publish or Perish to become a professor, as they say)...So I think first year I'm just going to take different courses that are interesting, see what sticks.
You won't do well as a professor if you don't have a specific field about which you are truly passionate. It takes that to stick with the research and writing and publishing, to establish yourself in your field and get hired.

My question for you guys is: are there any courses you took that you found super interesting, maybe surprisingly interesting? I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts but wouldn't mind taking some science courses. Here are some of my big interests:

I've always been particularly interested in India, its many cultures and languages. I had a small group seminar on music and drama in Hindu religious experience which was fascinating. We attended lots of performances as part of this. In fact, you might enjoy a comparative religions course, which dovetails with much of ancient history; or anthropology; or even folklore and mythology (think Joseph Campbell)

- Anatomy (a science course, but so interesting to see how the body is constructed)
Can't help you here. In physical sciences, I recommend astronomy, especially if you can get observing opportunities.

- Philosophy, Psychology
I concur with the suggestions about critical thinking/logic and ethics. Also anything that gets into the overlap of psychology and neurology (physical workings of the brain).

- Nutrition
Here I think of the consumer aspect: the intersection of economics, science, and health; topics like organic food, genetically modified food. agribusiness, etc.
Not sure how the ideas above map to the courses available at your university.

Al Hoove

MBTI Type
INTJ
Logic. Logic. Logic. Without it, the knowledge is just jumbled garbled nonsense rattling around in your brain. Logic. Did I mention Logic? If not, I'd recommend Logic. :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Take your basics. They're there to guide students in the first place (supposedly).. You KNOW you need x courses to graduate anyways.. so if you're unclear of your career path, take the most common ones first and see what you do well in.

If you didn't find ANYTHING super eye-catching out of them.. then I'd take a more practical approach to your studies and pick a career that won't leave you in debt to your eyeballs with no job. If you do, I'd lean that way. Keep in mind artsy fields like nutrition, psych, philosophy, etc. aren't really paying anyone big bucks anywhere... Don't go in debt for 20 years over a cute degree that got you a job that has a yearly salary of 1/4th of your debt each year.

If you're going in the sciences, luck to you. It's hard work, but worth it.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm biased but acting! If your school has a good program it will intersect with all your interests, particularly history, philosophy and psychology. Also, learning history through language can be an amazing experience. I took both Japanese language and Japanese History and Culture and it was an amazingly complete perspective I feel I wouldn't have gotten if I'd just taken one without the other. So I'd definitely recommend a language course too. But mostly, go with what interests you. Go with what you love.

yeghor

- Philosophy, Psychology
- Nutrition

I feel like there's almost nothing I wouldn't be interested in, really. So, any suggestions for cool courses? TIA! :hi:

There was a very popular selective course in my university titled History of Jazz. People would want to take it cause it was easy to pass.

Romello

Permabanned
MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
?
Film and Politics. In college i took that course and it was basically learn history (which is fun for me) on Tuesday, watch a movie on Thursday. Repeat the cycle throughout the semester. Win Win.

xisnotx

Permabanned
my ces classes were surprisingly fun. talking about cultural problems both challenged me and changed my perspective on a lot of things...
the seminar in criminal justice was fun too...

also, a sex education class. trust me on that. i didn't take it, but i would have wanted to.

and a writing course to perfect those skills.

i've always said that if men were being honest, we'd all be women's studies majors haha

blurry

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Thanks for your replies! It's been a while since I've checked this post and now I've done a couple summer courses...

I took a History of Japanese Film course, in the Asian Area Studies dept. It was killer. Watched wicked movies, talked about them, talked about Japan etc. Anyways I'm thinking about continuing into Asian Studies now, as the teacher was so good and is a large part of that program (not to mention she's pretty damn fine too.. :devil:), and I'm really interested in Asia, specifically its religions and culture.

Maybe I'll do an exchange and go to Japan for a semester...hmmm...how cool would that be.

Still open to trying other things as electives however - and I haven't booked up completely for first year yet (I'm taking a lighter load at first) so any more suggestions are welcome!

I'm biased but acting! If your school has a good program it will intersect with all your interests, particularly history, philosophy and psychology. Also, learning history through language can be an amazing experience. I took both Japanese language and Japanese History and Culture and it was an amazingly complete perspective I feel I wouldn't have gotten if I'd just taken one without the other. So I'd definitely recommend a language course too. But mostly, go with what interests you. Go with what you love.

Funny, I went to an acting conservatory for three years before coming here, and now I'm narrowing in on Japan as well...maybe us actors are attracted by something zen in that country...

There was a very popular selective course in my university titled History of Jazz.

Sounds great...I thought Ken Burn's Jazz was a fascinating course by itself, a uni course would be awesome.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for your replies! It's been a while since I've checked this post and now I've done a couple summer courses...

I took a History of Japanese Film course, in the Asian Area Studies dept. It was killer. Watched wicked movies, talked about them, talked about Japan etc. Anyways I'm thinking about continuing into Asian Studies now, as the teacher was so good and is a large part of that program (not to mention she's pretty damn fine too.. :devil:), and I'm really interested in Asia, specifically its religions and culture.

Maybe I'll do an exchange and go to Japan for a semester...hmmm...how cool would that be.

Still open to trying other things as electives however - and I haven't booked up completely for first year yet (I'm taking a lighter load at first) so any more suggestions are welcome!

Funny, I went to an acting conservatory for three years before coming here, and now I'm narrowing in on Japan as well...maybe us actors are attracted by something zen in that country...

Sounds great...I thought Ken Burn's Jazz was a fascinating course by itself, a uni course would be awesome.

I dropped out of normal college for acting school before I ever got far enough to do a semester in Japan. Oh, you should go. There's nothing like travelling.

What was acting school like for you? Did you finish it or did you drop out? Do you act professionally in any capacity now?

blurry

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I dropped out of normal college for acting school before I ever got far enough to do a semester in Japan. Oh, you should go. There's nothing like travelling.

What was acting school like for you? Did you finish it or did you drop out? Do you act professionally in any capacity now?

Theatre school was the most intense, incredible, difficult, devastating, and, in the end, life-changing (in a good way) few years I can imagine. Yeah, I finished...almost got kicked out near the end though. I mean it was really tough going at times for me. But I made the best friends I could ever ask for there, and have many wonderful experiences I'll never forget.

To be perfectly honest, I lost my marbles a bit near the end, (happens surprisingly often in theatre school), and have been kind of avoiding acting since. I still have many friends in theatre but I wonder if it's the path I wanna be on. Sometimes I think it is, sometimes not. Anyways, right now I'm happy going to school and seeing where that goes...

What about you? Still acting?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Theatre school was the most intense, incredible, difficult, devastating, and, in the end, life-changing (in a good way) few years I can imagine. Yeah, I finished...almost got kicked out near the end though. I mean it was really tough going at times for me. But I made the best friends I could ever ask for there, and have many wonderful experiences I'll never forget.

To be perfectly honest, I lost my marbles a bit near the end, (happens surprisingly often in theatre school), and have been kind of avoiding acting since. I still have many friends in theatre but I wonder if it's the path I wanna be on. Sometimes I think it is, sometimes not. Anyways, right now I'm happy going to school and seeing where that goes...

What about you? Still acting?

I've had less experience than you but I can definitely relate. I did a two month summer intensive program last year that was supposed to mirror the first year of their regular acting program. I auditioned for the full time program and, although I'm not proud of it, not getting in nearly destroyed my confidence entirely and it's taken me a long time to recover. But I've realized that I can't sit still. I have to be acting. The pressure of it is enormous but there's nothing comparable to feeling utterly terrified and unprepared and then accomplishing something - finding you can accomplish it - just because you must. I'll be starting my first year at a different conservatory in the fall and I'm very excited but also worried that I'll become paralyzed and inhibited by my own fears. It's happened before.

Anyway, good for you for finishing and I'm not surprised you nearly lost it by the end. Loathe as I am to advise you now in case I'm completely wrong, I've always felt with acting it's best to face whatever it is you're avoiding head on. Fear and avoidance is the antithesis of productivity. It can completely shut a person down. Although being in flux is okay. Uncertainty, pursuing other things... these are all excellent. Whatever is meant to happen will happen, though you don't need me to tell you that.