• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type, Major(s), Career(s)

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Type: INFJ
Major(ed): English
Job: Retail Manager
Prospective Career: #1 Writer, #2 Social Worker #3 College Professor

I have plans to return to school for my Master's in Creative Writing, but have also toyed with the idea of getting a second degree in Sociology.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Type: ENFP
Current Major: Information Systems
Future Major: PhD in Computational Psychology
Job: Retail during school months, the Computer Science Corporation during the summer
Prospective Career: Computational Psychologist

I have a nack for computers but truthfully can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life. With this thought in mind, I've recently decided to go back after I'm finished in two years, for a PhD in Computational Psychology with focus in that main field and also in clinical. I hope do do either clinical or work on artificial intelligence on the psychology side. This isn't some ENFP daydream, I'm actually quite serious about it.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Type: ENxP
Current Major: Biochemistry (graduated in May)
Future Major: M.D.
Job: Computer Repair Technician
Prospective Career: Doctor.

I rule computers but I also hate them, so bah.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I hope do do either clinical or work on artificial intelligence on the psychology side. This isn't some ENFP daydream, I'm actually quite serious about it.

I've seen a program on something similar. Teaching robots to learn, identify, recall, estimate etc. Fascinating.

Here tis.

[YOUTUBE="18wSJs6LIc0"]ASIMO learning capabilities[/YOUTUBE]

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type: esfp
Major: nursing
Job: nurses assistant, nursing student. (nursing, nursing all day long)
Prospective career: ER nurse

lane777

nevermore
Type: ENFP
Current Major: Information Systems
Future Major: PhD in Computational Psychology
Job: Retail during school months, the Computer Science Corporation during the summer
Prospective Career: Computational Psychologist

I have a nack for computers but truthfully can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life. With this thought in mind, I've recently decided to go back after I'm finished in two years, for a PhD in Computational Psychology with focus in that main field and also in clinical. I hope do do either clinical or work on artificial intelligence on the psychology side. This isn't some ENFP daydream, I'm actually quite serious about it.

Wooo :shock: But how many years is that?? I hear the minimum for even a psychologist is 5 years :sick:...

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
ISTP
Majored in chemistry. Currently working toward a PhD in chemistry.
My current research involves optical and electronic properties of inorganic materials. Past research has involved a lot of environmental science and analytical chemistry.
For money I am on a grad student support plan, which pays me to teach things like physical chemistry problem sessions and organic chemistry lab. It also covers tuition.
In the future I plan to either get a postdoc research position or a real job. Real (non-academic) jobs for chemists typically come from one of three places: government, non-profits, or industry.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Wooo :shock: But how many years is that?? I hear the minimum for even a psychologist is 5 years :sick:...
i have 10 left...

thats ok considering your average person doesn't have a comp sci degree and a psychology degree lol

Unique

Type: ESTP
Major: None
Job: None at the moment (quit my job in sales)
Prospective career: Entrepreneur

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTP
Majored in chemistry. Currently working toward a PhD in chemistry.
My current research involves optical and electronic properties of inorganic materials. Past research has involved a lot of environmental science and analytical chemistry.
For money I am on a grad student support plan, which pays me to teach things like physical chemistry problem sessions and organic chemistry lab. It also covers tuition.
In the future I plan to either get a postdoc research position or a real job. Real (non-academic) jobs for chemists typically come from one of three places: government, non-profits, or industry.
Wow, that sounds cool! Thanks for the information at the end.

I'm in my senior (4th) year of college, majoring in Chemistry also. I want to get a job in industry, but not sure what sub-field of chemistry I'd prefer.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Type: INTP.
Prospective majors: Nanotech.
Prospective career: Research.

ENTP2L

MBTI Type
ENTP
Type: ENTP
Major: Undergrad-Political Science/History, Law School/Grad school-J.D./M.B.A.
Current Job: Work in the library at the law school/intern at a law firm
Prospective Career(s): Lawyer, politician, professor

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
TYPE: ENFP
Majors: Electrical Engineering (hons), Physics (hons), semi-completed masters (plasma physics)..
Current Job: physics research at university
Prospective Careers: Teacher, nursing, journalism, psychology...

Last edited:

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Type: INTj
Major: English and German linguistics and literature, literary studies
Career: /
Prospective career: ?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Wow, that sounds cool! Thanks for the information at the end.

I'm in my senior (4th) year of college, majoring in Chemistry also. I want to get a job in industry, but not sure what sub-field of chemistry I'd prefer.

I don't know anything about your particular interests or situation, but the primary difference between industry and the rest is the motive. In industry, the bottom line is always how much you can sell, how much money you can make, how you can improve a product to make it cheaper, or stronger, or more effective, etc. There's always a product. What your work will actually involve depends on what company you're with. It could be anything. Drug business is huge, though, and there are a lot of chemists who get hired by companies like Merck.

In government work, it depends strongly on what department you're in. For example, you could find yourself making sniffers to detect C/BW for the CDC, calibrating standards at NIST, or doing maintenance on the beam line at BNL.

Non-profit work usually involves some kind of environmental monitoring, or developing technologies to be used for environmental monitoring.

Academic work is usually more open-ended in that there isn't always a product or service you're trying to sell. My own research is more on the pure science side of things in that we're less interested in the applications of what we're doing than the physics behind it.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So are you kind of saying that industry decides what fields you'll be focusing on? There are industries for plenty of fields, but many companies probably cover multiple fields at once, right?

I say I'm "not sure what field I'd be interested in" mostly because the Chemistry department here at school urges us to specialize in an area. I haven't gotten much of a chance to do that, but still, I'm wondering if getting a range of areas covered will work as well, better, or worse.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
So are you kind of saying that industry decides what fields you'll be focusing on? There are industries for plenty of fields, but many companies probably cover multiple fields at once, right?

I say I'm "not sure what field I'd be interested in" mostly because the Chemistry department here at school urges us to specialize in an area. I haven't gotten much of a chance to do that, but still, I'm wondering if getting a range of areas covered will work as well, better, or worse.

The notion of a "field" is kind of ambiguous, unless you're doing organic synthesis. You're correct in thinking that most jobs, and research, involve a mixture of things. The subdivision of chemistry, and indeed all of science, into categories like "inorganic," "biochemistry," "physical," etc. is mostly artificial, and any innovative work is going to combine aspects of several of your chemistry courses.

For example, I worked as a chemist in the soaps and detergents industry for a year. Mostly this involved acid/base chemistry, such as tweaking the pH of different things, making different combinations of detergents to increase cleaning power, etc., but it also involved spectroscopy, rheology, and statistical analysis. As another example, my current research combines aspects of optics, inorganic chemistry, materials science, and nanotechnology. That's really how innovation happens -- by combining different aspects of a wide variety of topics to produce something new.

IMO that's one reason why it's important to start reading the journals early in your chemistry career. The classroom is often too academic to give you a sense of how what you're learning will be applied to real-life research. Reading journals will also help you decide on the focus of your major, because as you are exposed to real research, you can find new things that you truly find interesting.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Type: INFJ
Major: Sociology, and I dabbled in Geography, English, and Psychology.
Current Job: Media Producer
Prospective Career: Teaching perhaps or more of the same.

Chukamok

MBTI Type
IXFP
Type: INFP
Starting Major: Commercial Art
Ending Major: Computer Science
Current Job: Software Engineer
Prospective Career: Slave to computers when they become self-aware.