• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you a workaholic?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never really thought of myself as a workaholic, but I've been told by others that I am. Which is strange because I don't particularly like work...but I do find that I might be addicted to it, because I find myself unwilling to let others work for me, even when I don't need the money, and I don't really worry about someone else fucking it up, but...you just can't have enough money.

What is your attitude toward workaholism? Do you think it's a healthy and honorable lifestyle? What goes through your mind when you witness someone who is addicted to their work?

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Do I think it's healthy and honorable? Totally depends on the person, motive and situation.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not a workaholic lol. Like at all. I kind of admire the drive of some people who are completely wrapped up in their work, but I sometimes view it as backwards priorities if I'm being honest. There is a certain kind of workaholic who I respect completely though. The world needs those people.

I can imagine myself much more absorbed in my work if I were doing something I really felt was a vocation, was doing it with friends and like-minded people, and felt like we were grass-rootsy in nature. I'll never feel like a workaholic if I'm working for the man.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I don't think I'm a true workaholic, but I am very motivated by achievement. I have always been that way. I can appear to be a bit consumed by a goal when it's something I truly believe in.

V

violaine

Yeah. Prob to an unhealthy degree lately. It's weirdly addictive; I feel hyped in a really uncomfortable way. I don't think it's healthy, though it can be honorable if the motivation is to provide for others.

I think of workaholism as a compulsion though. I have seen quite a few people lose themselves in their work to avoid dealing with the emotional aspects of their life. That coupled with the boost that achieving things through hard work brings makes for a heady mix. It's a lifestyle that is glorified in the US, as part of a larger "success" culture. It's entirely possible to always be working if one wants. It's hard to clock off.

G

garbage

I used to be, but then I got better. Now...
I don't think I'm a true workaholic, but I am very motivated by achievement. I have always been that way. I can appear to be a bit consumed by a goal when it's something I truly believe in.
Same on all counts

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I am not a workaholic if I can find a job with minimal work pays a lot and work from home where I don't have to interact with people I'd be in heaven (says the girl who wants to ultimately work with computers)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If by "work" you mean "my actual job that earns me money", then no. But if you mean "productive tasks that aren't all that much fun", then abso-freaking-lutely. I could not be more stereotypically ESTJ in this regard.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It’s an addiction that damages families like those that other addictions do (although the manner of damage caused is different). Unfortunately it’s also a socially approved of addiction.
And no, I’m not, I work to keep busy and do the best job possible, I refuse to allow anyone to bribe or force me into excessive work hours.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, I have a hard time not giving 110% when I'm at work. I hate the idea that I might be creating more work for someone else if I don't do enough, and I tend to want to get everything in order and finished before I leave. In that sense I could be (and have been) called a workaholic. It's a combination of feeling responsible and perfectionism, I think. But I've found it pretty easy to drop back at work now that I'm back in school, too. I think I'm pretty singularly-minded about my goals.

As for "workaholism"... I think it's healthy and honorable to care about your work, and to try to do a good job for everyone's sake, but I don't think that allowing work to eclipse all other areas of one's life is good or should be met with admiration. My mom talks about something called the "Law of Diminishing Returns", meaning that once you hit a certain point, your yield quality starts to decrease despite continuous input - in application to this situation, there's only so much quality worktime you can put in before you need to get some rest and do something else. I think it's best to keep a perspective of what your priorities are and what you're willing to sacrifice, and how to maintain a happy balance. Maybe you could decide to stay late at work one night but then the next night you could go home early and take your spouse out to a nice dinner. Whatever you choose, be aware of what you're choosing and what you're giving up.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Re: Law of Diminishing Returns, I have a poor relationship with my tolerances and get really into striving to expand them, as in competing with myself. Work is just one thing; this drive is present when I'm doing anything at all. There's good in that, but it can become harmful workaholism if it's about refusing to accept the limits of what you're made of - that is, yourself as a being with sensitivities as well as strengths. It's much more about that for me than impressing anyone.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes I am. I am a perfectionist. I wont stop till the job is done right. Even if it's something I hate. I am not comfortable with "good enough" most days.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. Even though I have a job that isn't my career, I would never take a vacation.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No, it's rarely worth it in terms of financial rewards, and I also enjoy my freedom during my free time. I'm more about "always busy doing something in my daily life" - similar to what EJCC said.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
No. When I have a job, I can be neurotic about doing it well and about not letting anyone down, but otherwise, I mostly do the least I can and still make ends meet. But if someone does not have a lot of outside responsibilities and doesn't mind working, I don't see anything wrong with doing so. It can't hurt to have something put back for a rainy day.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Because I work from home, I have a lot of flexibility so most days, my time management is excellent and I have time for my kids and domestic stuff that needs attention but I have a problem with others thinking doing just enough is good enough. Because of that, I would rather do a lot of work related tasks myself and this creates work load issues for me sometimes. This would be far worse if I still worked in an office because I would have to see more of the - I'm just here for a paycheck and I don't give a shit- mentality.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Not even close. I like to do things "right" but I am ok with taking time to get there. Most deadlines are artificial (although corporate SJs obsess over them and actually prefer shit quality over lateness).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I hate work....just a great fat lie of living in a world of currency and trade.