• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stop Learning - And START THINKING!

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow he did really well

They should have laughed more. I hate when they don't laugh

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Meh, I kinda hate this speech. I realize he is like 3 years old or whatever, but his laugh drives me fucking crazy. And I pretty much disagree with him. Thinking is crap. I know because I overvalued it in the past. You can't think new thoughts without learning new things. I find that it is best to pour as much information in my brain as possible and I come up with important insights during the gaps, like when I'm waking up in the morning or driving in my car.

I had a "Newtonesque" time period, in a way. Many of them, actually. Ever since high school, I had gotten this urge to forget everything I know. I felt like my mind was contaminated with delusion, like I couldn't trust what I knew and discern whether or not I was simply being manipulated. I spent an entire summer once actively avoiding learning anything. I felt dull at the end of it.

This wasn't the end, though. I always somewhat had that belief. I spent from 2008 to like maybe 2011 in an active war against thinking, and let me tell you, it was miserable. It had a lot to do with Buddhism, but I think my interest in Buddhism was what came second to my innate desire to liberate myself from thoughts which might be delusional. Buddhism seemed an appropriate path. Any time I noticed I was thinking for those few years, I would stop myself and try to focus on physical experience. This was nerve racking in that it was impossible, my thoughts always wandered. I was so stubborn I wouldn't give up for years though.

I'd also meditate. A lot. It came to a head in 2013, actually. I put everything I had into it. I stopped exposing myself to ANYTHING. Everything felt like it was influencing me. I quit my job. I stopped watching TV and reading things. I spent all day every day focused on my mind and what was going on in it. I paced for hours every day, and when I wasn't pacing I was outside walking. I'd lay in bed the rest of the time. Literally. My world shrank to the size of my skull. It was a waking nightmare.

You can only be stubborn for so long. When you spend so many nights in agony and realize nothing is happening, you inevitably start to realize something is wrong. I'd say I put Newton to shame, but then again, I doubt he really spent all his time thinking during those months of isolation. I'm sure there were books there. Even if there weren't, Isaac Newton is Isaac Newton. Geniuses can do things most people can't. Most of us will never reinvent math and physics, for instance. Ergo, it's not a bad idea for us to just learn as much as we can about what those things are as they are.

And that's exactly what I do these days. I learn as much as possible. I think as little as possible. I read because my thoughts go silent when I read, and that is pleasant. It's almost like it's meant to be. It's just who I am. That's how you know you like something, how you know yourself. Some people enter flow by dancing, or working, or watching sports. When I do something I hate, I know it because I start thinking a lot. Usually it's not about good stuff. Usually it's more like how I was wronged in the past, how fucked I am in the future, stuff like that. Stuff I'd rather not bother with much.

Back to the video. I dunno. I just don't think I like being lectured by a 10 year old. It's more of an "awww aren't we proud of this kid, he is giving a speech" thing. And that's not what I'm into.

ygolo

My termites win
[MENTION=4489]zago[/MENTION] He's probably laughing because he's nervous or excited or feeling strong emotions. I laugh like that too, but now with a deeper voice.

I agree with him. I don't think he is talking about anything other than allowing yourself to geek out, and enjoy somethings without being bound by past conventions. What is wrong with that?

Buddhism seems great for finding balance and peace of mind. But the kid is just enjoying himself doing things that people might consider difficult. This is especially a big deal because he was not supposed be able to do anything by the experts. He will, like all people I think, come to a point where he needs balance. But keep in mind, in many ways, equilibrium is death (or at least the end of big changes).

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=4489]zago[/MENTION] He's probably laughing because he's nervous or excited or feeling strong emotions. I laugh like that too, but now with a deeper voice.

I agree with him. I don't think he is talking about anything other than allowing yourself to geek out, and enjoy somethings without being bound by past conventions. What is wrong with that?

Buddhism seems great for finding balance and peace of mind. But the kid is just enjoying himself doing things that people might consider difficult. This is especially a big deal because he was not supposed be able to do anything by the experts. He will, like all people I think, come to a point where he needs balance. But keep in mind, in many ways, equilibrium is death (or at least the end of big changes).

Ugh ok so I watched the video again, I had watched it a few months ago and my beliefs were based on that. I think there is some half-truth in it, but I think the main problem is it is just unclear. It's really not a question of thinking vs. learning, then. Jacob didn't fingerpaint like other kids, he did his own thing--basically. Then why isn't the video called "follow your bliss" or something? I can get behind that (in fact that's basically what my previous post is saying). I kind of see what he means with the whole thinking vs. learning thing, but it just isn't as clear as it could be.

ygolo

My termites win
Ugh ok so I watched the video again, I had watched it a few months ago and my beliefs were based on that. I think there is some half-truth in it, but I think the main problem is it is just unclear. It's really not a question of thinking vs. learning, then. Jacob didn't fingerpaint like other kids, he did his own thing--basically. Then why isn't the video called "follow your bliss" or something? I can get behind that (in fact that's basically what my previous post is saying). I kind of see what he means with the whole thinking vs. learning thing, but it just isn't as clear as it could be.

The kid was 11. His talk was certainly clearer than mine would have been at that age.

Jacob being precocious in one arena does not necessarily mean that he will be equally developed in all of them.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think he does math with numbers, but with lines.

Also, he seems really ADHD.