• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would it be advantageous and/or ethical to split students up in school by MBTI?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dont think its a good idea, because of many reasons. For example people need to learn different learning styles(not just the ones that they like the most), school isnt just for learning facts from books. But learning human interaction as well and it would be really disadvantageous in this regard, as the kids would mostly just interact with people of their own temperament.

What needs to change is the teaching styles. Usually its most focused on certain learning styles, but needs to be broadened, so that all the types could learn easier. Luckily MBTI is used in teacher training, at least sometimes, but the MBTI training should be put more weight onto

I agree with this. However I have a feeling that the bean counters wouldn't agree with the "economics" of it. I was thinking that they should be in the same school, but perhaps different classes/teachers. I have experienced one year of all boys class and my grades improved significantly. Everyone's grades improved. There were 3 girls in the class. But I guess their thinking was similar to ours, perhaps they had the same personality, more or less.

Chancelade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think MBTI is a bit unreliable to use for such purposes. Even if we accept the underlying assumptions, typology is a tool for understanding different viewpoints and thinking patterns. If we split students by temperament, they will probably interact more with like-minded individuals instead of recognizing and accepting each others' differences, which would be more beneficial. I don't see any ethical problems, it's just that it wouldn't be advantageous.

The studies I've read suggest that dividing students by other factors (social class, IQ etc.) is not a great idea either. The resources used to segregate students based on whatever traits could be allocated to talent recognition, so some of the children more talented in arts could develop their abilities in a healthier manner instead of adapting to the one-size-fits-all STEM-biased educational model.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If someone makes a claim about something, then they have to back it up with evidence. That is an accepted criteria in any rational debate.
So i'm supposed to just take that on whim? So in a discussion you just claim stuff and go on. What's the point of making such an assertion in the first place then, if your not willing to back it up? Better call it something else then. I expected the objective to be what the objective of rational debates are, to make a rational point. Well, don't expect anyone to take you seriously in that case.
The highlighted summarizes the situation. No one is compelled to support their assertions here, but if they don't they cannot expect to be taken seriously. I can only speculate as to the purpose of making unsubstantiated assertions. Perhaps it is a bit like the stores that overcharge every so often for items, knowing that some customers will ask for it to be corrected, but most will either not notice the error, or consider it too much bother to point out. This is akin to winning the bowling tournament because your opponents had travel problems and had to forfeit.

I'll put them on my reading list. I'll review them. Just from a quick search on the WWW and finding a review on one of the books, it's already looking bad:

http://www.butler-bowdon.com/isabel-briggs-myers-gifts-differing

But I'll look into it.
I strongly endorse [MENTION=5143]Salomé[/MENTION]'s recommendation to read Gifts Differing. It is the first reference I suggest to people interested in personality type, and does more than any of the many follow-on books to explain the origins and purpose of the system.

The strength of MBTI is not so much in theoretical underpinnings as in practical utility. Review the last paragraph on the link you posted:

One of the fascinating insights in Gifts Differing is that recognition and development of one's type may be more important to success in life than IQ. Isabel Briggs Myers saw personality type as being innate as left- or right-handedness; anyone who tries to be a right-hander when they are really a leftie is asking for stress and misery, whereas going with your strengths massively increases the chances of fulfilment, happiness and productivity.

You'll have to excuse my sniggering, When someone posing as Gaddafi calls out "buffoonery" in others, it's practically mandatory.
I guess I should quit "posing as" Greta Garbo until I'm ready to develop some acting skill, or at least learn Swedish.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I should quit "posing as" Greta Garbo until I'm ready to develop some acting skill

False modesty becomes you not at all. I'd say a fair number of people find your act(ing) perfectly convincing.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
False modesty becomes you not at all. I'd say a fair number of people find your act(ing) perfectly convincing.
I'm not surprised, as I find it hard to pretend to be something I am not. Honesty does seem to be the best policy.

Still, it might be interesting to study Swedish.

mooseantlers

Knobgoblin
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
No, but it would be advantageous to split by learning style, and to keep people with conflicting or near opposite personalities away from each other.

This! Bring some actual focus on learning into the school system; the way it is it's like being in a 5 year reality show or some shit.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
No.

Being around others teaches social skills, conflict resolution and compromise.

So if a stereotypical ESFP hates an INTJ/INTP for being his or her stereotype (,i.e. geeky, intellectual) then the ESFP can accept that intellectualism is required in humanity and the INTJ/INTP can accept that the ESFP is not shallow and boring and something to offer.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No.

Being around others teaches social skills, conflict resolution and compromise.

So if a stereotypical ESFP hates an INTJ/INTP for being his or her stereotype (,i.e. geeky, intellectual) then the ESFP can accept that intellectualism is required in humanity and the INTJ/INTP can accept that the ESFP is not shallow and boring and something to offer.
How much enforced time in each other's presence is required to establish this realization? Learning the social skills you describe is fine, but shouldn't negatively impact learning everything else we are supposed to learn in school.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
How much enforced time in each other's presence is required to establish this realization? Learning the social skills you describe is fine, but shouldn't negatively impact learning everything else we are supposed to learn in school.

Education is holistic, is it not?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Education is holistic, is it not?
Not as a rule, and certainly not as conducted in most schools in the U.S.

46a1f8c96b69afaa2d9be512e0b555be.jpg

Curtis B

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
It sounds like a good idea on the surface, but schools teach how to act and associate with all sorts of people; if you removed the types from one another, they would never learn to work with one another in the real world and would therefore suffer.

From a purely ACADEMIC standpoint, one could probably design classes that would better fit students of the different types. So perhaps it would be a better learning environment.

From an economic standpoint, think of all of the teachers that would need to be hired, books to be bought, etc. Take you average school maintenance costs, multiply them by like, 5.

L

LadyLazarus

Depends on what you deem ethical.

Advantageous? Perhaps so,but only if there happens to be a secure correlation between MBTI type and learning style.

Although emotionally speaking,it might be more comfortable for students to deal with people similar to themselves on a day to day basis,it would only inhibit them in the long run by not teaching them how to deal with/cooperate with those who greatly differ from themselves,as they are bound to run into a vast array of individuals in the work world since the "real world",so to speak,is not sorted by MBTI type.

krypton1te

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Think of yin/yang.

Human beings are not entirely self-sufficient. We need to co-exist with some other opposite.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If we divide by temperaments, who will correct a feeler's logic?
Whoever has enough F skills to persuade the feeler to accept the correction.

Al Hoove

MBTI Type
INTJ
No. For one thing, accurately typing children is a dicey proposition. We tend to avoid that with our children.

Rather than segregating by type, I think there should be education on the MB types so that it can be part of the socialization and maturation process. Of course, kooky me, I also think Logic should be a mandatory part of elementary/secondary/university education and if the student can't demonstrate proficiency at logic, they don't advance until they do. What a nut I am. :newwink: