• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would it be advantageous and/or ethical to split students up in school by MBTI?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If we split out children like that, they wouldn't be able of normal social functioning. It's natural, that we have to interact with people who are different and so we need to learn to tolerate them and comunicate with them. If you deny such a basic social learning to children, they would probably grow up to social idiots, or deviants.

baccheion

If we split out children like that, they wouldn't be able of normal social functioning. It's natural, that we have to interact with people who are different and so we need to learn to tolerate them and comunicate with them. If you deny such a basic social learning to children, they would probably grow up to social idiots, or deviants.

To some degree this is true. But if, especially once they know how to deal with these people, they aren't put in an environment free of them, then all you are doing is adding unnecessary stress and misery to the child's life. I can't believe people try to justify constantly having people be around others they don't like. People should be doing things to ensure that groups are compatible allowing people to move forward with their lives, not doing things to add clashing personalities then forcing everyone to "make friends" or to "learn how to get along." This is a waste of time, and it isn't a reality that should be accepted or encouraged, it's one that should be changed.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To some degree this is true. But if, especially once they know how to deal with these people, they aren't put in an environment free of them, then all you are doing is adding unnecessary stress and misery to the child's life. I can't believe people try to justify constantly having people be around others they don't like. People should be doing things to ensure that groups are compatible allowing people to move forward with their lives, not doing things to add clashing personalities then forcing everyone to "make friends" or to "learn how to get along." This is a waste of time, and it isn't a reality that should be accepted or encouraged, it's one that should be changed.

This is not how life works... You can't avoid people you don't like. Sooner or later you'll meet them at work, at store, they can be your neighborhoods. Mostly at work you have to use to cooporate with different people. There are projects which needs more people with different insights, so they just have to work together. The whole world is built up on cooporation with one and another. You can't lock yourself in a cage and say..."I am only talking to INFPs." Because this simply doesn't work...

baccheion

This is not how life works... You can't avoid people you don't like. Sooner or later you'll meet them at work, at store, they can be your neighborhoods. Mostly at work you have to use to cooporate with different people. There are projects which needs more people with different insights, so they just have to work together. The whole world is built up on cooporation with one and another. You can't lock yourself in a cage and say..."I am only talking to INFPs." Because this simply doesn't work...

I'm annoyed that people use the fact that this is not how life works to add more misery to a student's life, always intentionally forcing them into groups with people they can't stand just to watch them squirm. They BS like it's to help the students learn how to work with people they don't like, but I think it's pointless, and just gets in the way of happiness and progress. It's like saying, you know what most people in the world aren't happy, so we are going to make and keep you miserable just so you are prepared for the real world. It seems stupid to me. Also, I don't think having to work with people you don't like is as common as usually believed. I think it's an artificial setup that's beaten into students in the schools and then continued in the working world. That is, just like students keep getting put in groups with people they don't like, so does idiot management go out of their way to team people up with others they don't like. It's stupid, and instead of being supported and beaten into students until they accept that reality, it should be risen above, and students should be made to see that it doesn't always have to be that way, so that they don't accept that BS when it happens, and instead look for ways around it or for ways to avoid it. Also, it doesn't take that long to learn how to work with others you don't like, so once that's done it's time to move on to better environments where progress can be made without everyone (or the losing personalities) having to be miserable because they have to work with people they don't like.

I'm sure there will always be that person that will find a problem with everyone, and I'm sure there'll also be that person that just grates on everyone's nerves, but they aren't that common, and definitely shouldn't be who's catered to. People need to learn to not waste time with these people, and infrastructure should be setup so that you don't have to deal with them. Their behaviour is often encouraged and forced to be accepted at the expense of the group's well-being, and that's just stupid.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm annoyed that people use the fact that this is not how life works to add more misery to a student's life, always intentionally forcing them into groups with people they can't stand just to watch them squirm. They BS like it's to help the students learn how to work with people they don't like, but I think it's pointless, and just gets in the way of happiness and progress. It's like saying, you know what most people in the world aren't happy, so we are going to make and keep you miserable just so you are prepared for the real world. It seems stupid to me. Also, I don't think having to work with people you don't like is as common as usually believed. I think it's an artificial setup that's beaten into students in the schools and then continued in the working world. That is, just like students keep getting put in groups with people they don't like, so does idiot management go out of their way to team people up with others they don't like. It's stupid, and instead of being supported and beaten into students until they accept that reality, it should be risen above, and students should be made to see that it doesn't always have to be that way, so that they don't accept that BS when it happens, and instead look for ways around it or for ways to avoid it. Also, it doesn't take that long to learn how to work with others you don't like, so once that's done it's time to move on to better environments where progress can be made without everyone (or the losing personalities) having to be miserable because they have to work with people they don't like.

I'm sure there will always be that person that will find a problem with everyone, and I'm sure there'll also be that person that just grates on everyone's nerves, but they aren't that common, and definitely shouldn't be who's catered to. People need to learn to not waste time with these people, and infrastructure should be setup so that you don't have to deal with them. Their behaviour is often encouraged and forced to be accepted at the expense of the group's wellbeing, and that's just stupid.

It's stupid to see other angles and views than your own. It's stupid to see how different the world could be. It's stupid to open up to different people and different ideas. Sokrates was the stupidest person living, because he believed we can learn the best by arguments with other people. It's stupid to cooporate with others. The best thing we can do is to live our little lives locked from all the danger, that the possible confrontation might cause. Because ouch we are so afraid to hear other opinions and we are so afraid to hear we are wrong...When the INTJ says "Let's make a huge comapany and make some money" He doesn't need an ISFJ to show him it is also important to take care of his employes. An INFP doesn't need an ENTJ to show him that his economic situation is pretty bad and he needs to take a strategic steps to avoid the debt... We need each other, we dislike each other...but without mutal help and understanding there is no way to be happy, or succesfull, or anything at all.

baccheion

It's stupid to see other angles and views than your own. It's stupid to see how different the world could be. It's stupid to open up to different people and different ideas. Sokrates was the stupidest person living, because he believed we can learn the best by arguments with other people. It's stupid to cooporate with others. The best thing we can do is to live our little lives locked from all the danger, that the possible confrontation might cause. Because ouch we are so afraid to hear other opinions and we are so afraid to hear we are wrong...When the INTJ says "Let's make a huge comapany and make some money" He doesn't need an ISFJ to show him it is also important to take care of his employes. An INFP doesn't need an ENTJ to show him that his economic situation is pretty bad and he needs to take a strategic steps to avoid the debt... We need each other, we dislike each other...but without mutal help and understanding there is no way to be happy, or succesfull, or anything at all.

No, but it's stupid to support the idea that you have to deal with people you don't like and that it's a part of life, rather than pushing the idea that it's not always necessary, and that you shouldn't just accept such situations because that's the way life is. It's also annoying to use the fact that that's the way the world is to unnecessarily (which is usually the case) force students that don't like each other to work together. Exposing people to different points of view, etc, is very different from unnecessarily and continuously forcing them to work with people they don't like, and from forcing them to accept points of view they don't agree with. What you are bringing up in response and what I'm talking about are two very different things.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, but it's stupid to support the idea that you have to deal with people you don't like and that it's a part of life, rather than pushing the idea that it's not always necessary, and that you shouldn't just accept such situations because that's the way life is. It's also annoying to use the fact that that's the way the world is to unnecessarily (which is usually the case) force students that don't like each other to work together. Exposing people to different points of view, etc, is very different from unnecessarily and continuously forcing them to work with people they don't like, and from forcing them to accept points of view they don't agree with. What you are bringing up in response and what I'm talking about are two very different things.
I think they continuously builds on each other

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think forcing people who don't like each other to work together doesn't build character; it's just wasteful and destructive. That, and someone always loses.

I think you're not willing to think about my arguments and just repeat the same sentence over and over again and so our conversation becomes pointless as much as the life living just with people of similar types

baccheion

I think you're not willing to think about my arguments and just repeat the same sentence over and over again and so our conversation becomes pointless as much as the life living just with people of similar types

That's essentially what you're doing. And it's not about similar types, it's about not living a life around people you don't like or are incompatible with.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's essentially what you're doing. And it's not about similar types, it's about not living a life around people you don't like or are incompatible with.

Yes and I still believe it's a life of an ignorant...Because we have love, we have hate, we have pleasure, whe have pain and so there are people we love and so there are people we hate. How would you manage it not to meet people you don't like anyway? Would build a wall? Or a special blocks like special ISFP block and special ENTP block so the people won't get into contact? I think you still don't understand it's not possible to avoid meeting and interacting people like this. Or you could never come out from home so you don't have to meet anyone at all...that would be the best approach.

baccheion

The idea is to minimize interactions with people you don't like, and to instead focus on other things. So when I see people trying to force these interactions while citing some BS excuse (like they need to learn how to work together, or it builds a stronger team) I start smelling bullshit. Sure, learn how to work with them (if that's even possible) or how to navigate the waters to survive such interactions, but how long does that take? Not very. My second point is that people use noble goals (or whatever sounds nice and valid) as their bullshit excuse to do rotten/stupid things like this. Some people just like screwing others over and are obsessed with making everyone miserable.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think it's a good idea. People need to learn to get along with different personality types. Placing yourself in your own temperament bubble is just further removing yourself for reality. Maybe it would be okay for a couple of classes but not most of the time.

A

Anew Leaf

One needs only to gaze momentarily into the abyss that are the dedicated to one type forums to answer this concept.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This thread is still a thing?

No.

One needs only to gaze momentarily into the abyss that are the dedicated to one type forums to answer this concept.

Also this.

S

Stansmith

I think forcing people who don't like each other to work together doesn't build character; it's just wasteful and destructive. That, and someone always loses.

My sympathies transcend Kersey temperaments. I don't know how you'd be doing me any favors by lumping me in with ESTP 7s, especially considering the type of neighborhood I grew up in.

serenesam

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
How would splitting students into the four temperaments (SJ, SP, NF, NT) affect education as a whole, and would it be ethical to split students into those groups? The students would still go to the same school, but perhaps they divide the school in 4 for each of the temperaments, and maybe some classes could overlap between 1 or more temperaments.

Also, if you use Socionics, do you think that its quadrants (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta) should be used instead of the temperaments?

Is it ethical? Not in my opinion as it is akin to discrimination.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think it's a good idea. People need to learn to get along with different personality types. Placing yourself in your own temperament bubble is just further removing yourself for reality. Maybe it would be okay for a couple of classes but not most of the time.
Perhaps, but the totality of one's learning should not be jeopardized to ensure acquisition of this particular skill.

G

garbage

There's precedent for the idea of using typological assessments (not necessarily MBTI, Socionics, etc.) to cater to learning styles. I've also been involved in using typologies for meaningful display of information, etc. etc. So, it's definitely possible to use typologies in presenting information, whether for teaching or other purposes.

'course, our good friend Dario Nardi has observed differences in learning style for those who 'use' different JCFs.

But, yeah. One needs to validate the hell out of whatever typology they're using before they use it. Our board's favorite typological systems have a long way to go on that front.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's precedent for the idea of using typological assessments (not necessarily MBTI, Socionics, etc.) to cater to learning styles. I've also been involved in using typologies for meaningful display of information, etc. etc. So, it's definitely possible to use typologies in presenting information, whether for teaching or other purposes.

'course, our good friend Dario Nardi has observed differences in learning style for those who 'use' different JCFs.

But, yeah. One needs to validate the hell out of whatever typology they're using before they use it. Our board's favorite typological systems have a long way to go on that front.

I wonder if this will tie in with sequential vs visual spatial type learners. ref: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/66313-explain-me-how-intj-s-can-do.html