• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has your career choice been worth it?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm... I guess I should try a Latin based language, Portuguese. I tried, but I suck at it. Sucks when nobody talks back to you.

portuguese is my third... there's a lot of different regional variations that are really different as well :shock:

of course mine's slipped since I moved away from anyone who speaks it as well :doh:

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
No, but that's largely my fault for a.) burning out of grad school and surrendering to moderate but chronic depression for a while afterward and b.) failing to address imbalances in my education (I really should have learned to type faster than I can write if I was ever going to put my degree to practical use outside of academia, and my complete and utter ineptitude with foreign languages precluded a double major in business).

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Given what you've learned since you've been out of school and working, has your Major/Career choice been worth it?

I have an undergraduate degree in Zoology, and a graduate degree in Molecular Genetics, neither of which are related to what I do now. So in that respect, professionally, I wish that I'd chosen a different major in college -- most likely computer science, given that I do software development for a living. Practically, I find that it hasn't been an issue, except for circumstances where people want a credential (i.e., a CS degree) on a resume. As I get older, and have more experience to back me up, this matters less and less. So, major-wise, I consider my choice acceptable.

Career-wise... I waver, but not much. I do in-house application development, and most often have been in the "technical lead" sort of position. It can be aggravating, and it's not my "dream job". But not everyone can actually put food on the table playing golf, writing novels, or travelling the world. When it comes down to it, I'm very employable, make decent (not fantastic, but good) money, often work with at least some like-minded people, and what natural talents I do possess line up pretty well with the work that I do. So far anyway, my career has given me security, respect, the position to learn new things, and a reasonable likelihood of a comfortable (if definitely not extravagant) retirement 25 years down the road. Again... an acceptable choice, but I'll judge my life on what I did outside of the office, not what I did inside it.

Permabanned
Hmm... I guess I should try a Latin based language, Portuguese. I tried, but I suck at it. Sucks when nobody talks back to you.

portuguese is my third... there's a lot of different regional variations that are really different as well :shock:

of course mine's slipped since I moved away from anyone who speaks it as well :doh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I would respond in portuguese if I could write in it well... unfortunately a majority of my practice has been spoken. And my spoken portuguese is mostly with a far southern Brazilian accent with a heavy dose of Midwestern english speaker layered across the top :doh:

should download some to my phone for practice though :yes:

Permabanned

I would respond in portuguese if I could write in it well... unfortunately a majority of my practice has been spoken. And my spoken portuguese is mostly with a far southern Brazilian accent with a heavy dose of Midwestern english speaker layered across the top :doh:

should download some to my phone for practice though :yes:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/learn-portuguese-free-por/pehhnjcaajmakfljacomgihcjdekaonf?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes but I would've started sooner.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It's too soon to tell.

I probably would have put off having kids long enough to get an undergrad degree in something, if I had it to do over again.

I don't think I would have had the energy to parent and work an outside job up until the kids were at least seven and older, though, and trying probably would have broken my marriage.

So essentially, if the kids turn out halfway decent and we're not destitute in retirement, I will consider it worth it. The kid part is looking pretty good. The retirement part is looking a bit precarious. We'll see.

P

Phantonym

All I can say is that the choices for my majors (all in humanities/soft science) have been worth it in the sense of personal satisfaction for doing what I felt like doing. Financially, it was beyond stupid, obviously. However, I'm not in debt, so yay for that.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Short answer: I'm not sure.

I got a BA with a major in English and a minor in Geology. I didn't do anything with it for the first 7 or 8 years- I was a nanny for the last year of college and continued with that family after graduation, then got married and soon thereafter had a child of my own. I really enjoyed being a SAHM. Actually, it's not quite accurate to say I was a SAHM since I did work- I just worked at home, with them. I provided childcare from the time my first child was 7 months old until my second child was about a year old. At that point, I started freelance writing/editing, and that's what I've done ever since with the exception of 18 months that I was directly employed for one of the companies I've freelanced for.

I love what I do, and I love that I can do it from home. But it's not the most lucrative career and I don't always have work, so I don't know that I could support a family by myself doing this. And I do sometimes wonder what I could have done if I hadn't started my family right away. I briefly considered med school with the intention of becoming a dermatologist (which tends to be a good medical career for people who don't want to put EVERYTHING in their career- lucrative but with opportunities for part-time and so forth). I more extensively considered pursuing a PhD in English with the intention of becoming a college professor. But all things considered, I'm glad I had my children when I was young. I had energy to run around with them, and if all goes well I'll have an empty nest by the time I'm 50.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a computer programmer. It's a strange thing, I never really made the choice to be it, it's just kind of what I do well, so I do it. I've always been into computers. I dropped out of H.S. at 16, went to a two year technical institute and 19 years later, here I still am. I like what I do, it moves fast so I get to learn and do new things, I am in demand. I use my skills outside of work as well as inside, and they are useful for projects in all areas in life because tech is so pervasive.

I feel like what's interesting is how philosophical my skills are. Logic and problem solving are so abstract that I have trouble thinking of them as a career than as part of what I am.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Even if I could call it a career, I would say no. I stumbled into it, like *insert Lewis Carroll reference here*. However unlike *reference excerpt*, I didn't have the benefit of being born into a world I could adapt to. Why? Because one can usually find a variable system where you can bend, but sometimes a person is without flexibility, in that circumstance their only hope is to change one of the systems, but the systems are immaterial and so it takes a visionary to achieve such change, without that the one who doesn't fit has no place to be at ease.

So instead must spend time, or some equivalent, elsewhere than the world of work. But genetics aside that is the issue of the individual.

Of course I am broadly what they call young, but fortunately not for long and soon I shall be gone and buried and a more worthwhile existence shall take my place.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You know, this is really encouraging for me. As a college student, the future makes me nervous. Seeing that most of you guys strayed from your degrees is a real relief because it shows me that it's not that big a deal, your major. Just find your skills and get work for it.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You know, this is really encouraging for me. As a college student, the future makes me nervous. Seeing that most of you guys strayed from your degrees is a real relief because it shows me that it's not that big a deal, your major. Just find your skills and get work for it.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
No.

A professional career isn't for everyone.
Wave this flag high, lady. I don't know why everyone has to have the exact same path as everyone else in the world. Very annoying.