• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has your career choice been worth it?

á´…eparted

passages
Right now? No. The amount of effort it takes to slog through what my education requires is beyond what I can handle really. It's definitely wrecked large areas of my personal life. I am also starting to get the strong sense that the amount of work the careers I would have access to would be beyond what I could do as well. I am withholding full judgement until I get there in another 3-4 years, but I am quite apprehensive.

I have the mind and the raw skills to do what I do, more so than most actually. What I lack is the stamina and tollerance.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Right now? No. The amount of effort it takes to slog through what my education requires is beyond what I can handle really. It's definitely wrecked large areas of my personal life. I am also starting to get the strong sense that the amount of work the careers I would have access to would be beyond what I could do as well. I am withholding full judgement until I get there in another 3-4 years, but I am quite apprehensive.

I have the mind and the raw skills to do what I do, more so than most actually. What I lack is the stamina and tollerance.
What field are you in?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I suspect you will find that things will become much more manageable once you finish your degree. Depending on where you end up working, your career success will start to depend almost as much on navigating bureaucracy and selling your ideas or product than on raw technical competence. The balance in my job has tipped so much in this direction that I am trying to line up a new job.

That being said, my overall career choice and academic field have been more than worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat and cannot imagine doing anything else with my life. In many respects, I do see it as my life and not just my career.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Update: I'm gonna change this to a fuck yes.

I work in my field part time now. Making good money, doing something I love, and something I know will be there for me no matter where I go or what course my life takes. I guess full time was just too much. I love my current balance and am actually treated better at my side job for being so qualified in something completely unrelated.

á´…eparted

passages
I suspect you will find that things will become much more manageable once you finish your degree. Depending on where you end up working, your career success will start to depend almost as much on navigating bureaucracy and selling your ideas or product than on raw technical competence. The balance in my job has tipped so much in this direction that I am trying to line up a new job.

That being said, my overall career choice and academic field have been more than worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat and cannot imagine doing anything else with my life. In many respects, I do see it as my life and not just my career.

I hope so. I made a very long post about it in detail on reddit last night explaining my situation, and I've gotten enough reassurance to stick with it for now. Part of the problem is, I realized I don't want chemistry to be my life. At least, not in the way of academia. I thought I did at the beginning, but it takes over your personal life if you go that route and it's something I've learned I am very intolerant to. I do not want my career to be my life.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think so, I'm withholding judgement for now, as I have some short term and long term goals that haven't been fulfilled right now.