• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Answering work emails 24/7

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just like we learn how to focus on something we are trying to achieve, I think at this time we need to learn how to focus on not doing any work too. What I mean is, ignore those work emails coming in all hours of the day and night... turn the phone/computer off, or at least ignore it until a set time the next day.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yes, I agree. However, you also need to find a nice enough employer who won't hold it against you (and that's always complicated in recession times)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed, Giggly. Just say no.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I agree. However, you also need to find a nice enough employer who won't hold it against you (and that's always complicated in recession times)

I know. :cry:

W

WALMART

I once had a job where the repercussions of operation could be felt at any time of day at a moments notice. I was on edge even during my time off.

I hate management.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Just like we learn how to focus on something we are trying to achieve, I think at this time we need to learn how to focus on not doing any work too. What I mean is, ignore those work emails coming in all hours of the day and night... turn the phone/computer off, or at least ignore it until a set time the next day.

That's called letting your client run you, instead of you running the client.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wish I could turn my phone off at night.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I thought the idea of having work email on my phone was cool about 4 years ago, but after it didn't work out (bought a BlackBerry expressedly for this purpose but after the employer enabled strong encryption in the BB system, the phone was a nearly-unusable lemon) I must say, I am never having "work" email going to my phone ever. I can check it with my phone via the outlook web interface if I must, but I rarely do and I'm better for it. They can call me if they want. I am "on-call" every other week so that's how they get ahold of me...

I definitely agree, it's a bad idea to have your work email in a conveniently-accessible location outside of work.

G

garbage

My work and personal emails wind up in the same pool, and I get notifications on the desktop and on the phone. During my "free time," I can choose to leave these emails be, to check the subject line, to read the whole shebang, or even to hammer out a reply (depending on how much thought/time it'd take). It often feels like less of a psychological burden to me than dealing with all of them at once.

Others operate differently. From their perspective, advances in communication can lead to increased expectations from an employer--and often for the same amount of pay. To the extent that the employee feels that it's unfair and can push back, he should try to do so--either through subtle hints (not replying until the morning) or directly. To the extent that the employee checks his email unnecessarily, he's gotta exercise willpower.

.. that, or become an hourly consultant..

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I thought the idea of having work email on my phone was cool about 4 years ago, but after it didn't work out (bought a BlackBerry expressedly for this purpose but after the employer enabled strong encryption in the BB system, the phone was a nearly-unusable lemon) I must say, I am never having "work" email going to my phone ever. I can check it with my phone via the outlook web interface if I must, but I rarely do and I'm better for it. They can call me if they want. I am "on-call" every other week so that's how they get ahold of me...

I definitely agree, it's a bad idea to have your work email in a conveniently-accessible location outside of work.

Yeah I also tried to have my work e-mails automatically forwarded to my "personal" e-mail. Not good, any time I saw a new e-mail on my mobile (while I was out with friends, family, or doing sport etc. without access to my computer) during the weekend I was feeling nervous.

I still check it every day even when I'm on vacation, but only when I'm at the computer.