• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I have a plan to get a job

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
since I can't seem to get one the traditional way, I've decided to volunteer for the city in hopes that if I work hard that will turn into a paid job. But probably won't :( but it's worth a shot. I'm taking the applications in monday (there's 5 of them) do you think this is worth a shot?

I don't make good first impressions, but I do work hard and do everything that is asked of me when volunteering. So I figure if I can prove to someone that I can do the work and skip the first impression part I'm more likely to get a job.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds worth it to me! Nothing like a good reference to land a job. Sounds like working for a while as a volunteer, proving yourself as a hard worker, and then using whoever is supervising you as a connection To a paid job is a great plan for you. Good luck!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It really can't hurt. I think it's a good idea.

F

FigerPuppet

Volunteering is better than no job, but don't count on transitioning into a paid position. This is not 1) an internship, or 2) in the private sector. Look at it as something to bolster your resumé. Anyone will choose someone who has spent their unemployment volunteering over someone who hasn't, if their other qualifications are equal. You must continue searching for paying job.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Volunteering is better than no job, but don't count on transitioning into a paid position. This is not 1) an internship, or 2) in the private sector. Look at it as something to bolster your resumé. Anyone will choose someone who has spent their unemployment volunteering over someone who hasn't, if their other qualifications are equal. You must continue searching for paying job.
It depends entirely on what kind of job you volunteered for. No one is going to pay alot of attention to work spent at a soup kitchen.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
If you don't have specialized training, experience or education, volunteering can be a good way to network. People that run charitable programs can be good for helping you get on at the businesses of people they know or where people they know work and they can be good for references on job applications if you don't already have people for that lined up. Even at the crap jobs around here, you usually have to know someone to get hired.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thread title sounds like a song lyric.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
That's how my mom got her job! At the very least, you'll be volunteering, which has value in itself!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
since I can't seem to get one the traditional way, I've decided to volunteer for the city in hopes that if I work hard that will turn into a paid job. But probably won't :( but it's worth a shot. I'm taking the applications in monday (there's 5 of them) do you think this is worth a shot?

I don't make good first impressions, but I do work hard and do everything that is asked of me when volunteering. So I figure if I can prove to someone that I can do the work and skip the first impression part I'm more likely to get a job.

Interships are a good idea too. Also, do you have a criminal record? That could hurt you too.