• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Well-paid jobs that don't involve computers?

sporty

MBTI Type
ESFP
Hello! So are there any good and well-paying jobs left that don't involve computers? Or ones that require minimum computer use. I'd much rather spend my days talking to people or around nature than locked in an office behind a monitor. That exhausts me. I used to like computers, but then again I never used them that much and got bored quickly. It seems that these days all the well-paid jobs involve computers, unfortunately. Do you have any suggestions?

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Doctors and pharmacists get paid very well and spend a lot of time with patients.

Sales people get paid a lot if they're good at it.

I've heard some odd jobs like wind turbine mechanics and pipe welders get paid surprisingly well, but I don't know how or why.

sporty

MBTI Type
ESFP
Hi Haven, thanks for your reply!
Doctors and pharmacists get paid very well and spend a lot of time with patients.
Yep, but those are just not for me since don't like thinking about depressing things like diseases and I hate seeing blood.

Sales people get paid a lot if they're good at it.
Yeah, I know, but one doesn't need a degree for that? I am looking for a suitable career because I'm trying to figure out what Graduate degree to take. I have a BSBA and I am bored with things I had to study that I never liked or were good at like Maths, Accounting, etc. :wink:

I've heard some odd jobs like wind turbine mechanics and pipe welders get paid surprisingly well, but I don't know how or why.
I think those require an engineering degree. Again, I suck at Math and I don't want to waste 4 years for a new Bachelor degree. I guess a teacher/lecturer, but they're way underpaid and they spend hours reading homework assignments or doing research on a computer screen which sucks.

I was thinking about a TV reporter as it requires motion/talking with people, but I'm not really into following current events, politics, or celebrity gossip. Probably a talk-show host would be the best one for me (if I can get over my stage fright that is) but that one doesn't require a specific degree. My other option is becoming a park ranger as I love nature and animals, but it's quite lonely. I've heard that even ornithologists spend a lot of time on the computer doing research instead of being in the wild watching the birds (all alone, so again lonely), so I'm still undecided. :)

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Successful salesman make a lot of money. I am talking corporate sales (i.e. you work for some corporation and sell its services to other corporations). Sounds like it's right up your alley, you spend your day schmoozing and gladhanding, and once in a while, close a lucrative deal. You don't have to know squat about computers except for using email and keeping contact and appointment lists.

I wouldn't think you would need a degree - from what I know of the sales staff were I work, they either got their foot in the door directly (as an entry level sales associate or something) or they started out in customer service then laterally moved over to sales if they had the knack for it.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Have you considered therapeutic recreation? It's not amazingly compensated, but it seems like it would match up with your skills and interests, and a professional can make a fair amount. I volunteered for a summer in equine therapy, and I spent the vast majority of my time outdoors and working with people.

93JC

I think those [wind turbine mechanic, pipe welder] require an engineering degree. Again, I suck at Math and I don't want to waste 4 years for a new Bachelor degree.

Being a mechanic or a welder does not require a degree. :laugh:

However it does require trade school and an apprenticeship.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's getting hard to find a low paying job that doesn't use computers.

gromit

likes this
I just started physical therapy school because I was done with full-time desk work (and other reasons). The job market is pretty good and it pays more than enough to get by. Of course, like [MENTION=1449]Magic Poriferan[/MENTION] points out, most jobs use computers to some degree, high- or low-paying. But computer time is much lower for physical therapists than for the typical desk worker.

Anyway if you are interested in PT, the profession is moving toward doctor of physical therapy instead of a masters, so at a minimum that would be a 4-yr bachelors and then 3 years of the doctoral degree. Here's some info on the career and job market: http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/physical-therapist

Feel free to ask me more questions if you are interested or want to know more!

ewomack

Some of the jobs that involve managing people who use computers don't seem to require any computer experience.