• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinking about dropping out of college

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I went to college on-and-off throughout my early 20s. If anything, it made me feel misguided and I eventually forgot why I was going in the first place. I was never one with realistic goals, and I never knew what exactly I wanted. Never had any interest in being a doctor or lawyer or anything like that, and on top of that, I just hated school (though I did enjoy college better than high school, but it just became a mindless routine with no objective). The only other thing you'll get from college is liberal brainwashing disguised as enlightenment. I would just learn a trade.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION], thank you for the thoughtful advice. I've decided to finish at least the semester.

Some people here have already offered good advice, so I'll just say this...If you think that college feels stifling and is more overwhelming than exciting, good luck surviving on a minimum wage job.

I'm overwhelmed by college for reasons that wouldn't apply to a minimum wage job, and I didn't mean that I expected the job itself to be exciting.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@skylights, thank you for the thoughtful advice. I've decided to finish at least the semester.

You're welcome. :) I think it's a wise decision. By the end of the semester you will have both accomplished something substantial and you will have had time to feel everything out and develop a strategy for how to proceed.

In contrast to what Uberfuhrer said, I think much of the value of college is in hands-on learning of agency, how to become your own advocate and how to fully function as an independent adult operating on the rational basis of action and consequence. The real difference between the college freshman and senior, besides their credit hours, is that the freshman reluctantly skips a class in the beginning of the semester because she got drunk the weeknight before and is still so hungover she can't walk, misses an in-class quiz, and never gets the notes, while the senior bides his time until a beautiful day after a major exam, gets a friend to text him pictures of the notes, and skips class to go on a hike with his friends. I don't think the 4-year college experience is necessary, but I do think it's valuable. When people use it in a way that enhances their life - when they push boundaries, push their academic ability, and push their intrapersonal growth, it's essentially a huge life practice arena with a safety net right at the time when students are making the transition from dependent childhood into independent adulthood. It's an invitation to experiment and explore and to grow into yourself. There's nothing else like it.

The other boon is that it does open doors and qualify you for opportunities that are not available to others, even if they are not directly related to your major. It's really more of a long-term payoff than a short-term one. Personally I think the best arrangement if you choose to go to a 4-year school and are not completely certain if you will desire to enter your career immediately upon graduation is to choose a public, in-state college for undergrad to keep debt down, and then aim for a big-name school if you decide to pursue graduate education, when the educational quality will be directly related to your skillset, the prestige directly related to your desirability, and the interest on big loans will have way less time to compound.

In any case, whether or not 4-year college will be useful in terms of career is something that will be dictated by personal interests and goals, and in no way do I think it's the best path for everyone. I've also heard that 2-year Associate's degrees are making a comeback as a more cost-effective and career-oriented alternative.

Last edited:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The bolded is at least part of it. About how much time would you suggest?

Thanks for the response -- it was helpful

About 4 years.

:p

It varies. It took me about 5-6 months just to start to create a routine. Most of my friendships came out of hanging out at places with an activity to do besides socializing, since I don't socialize well under pressure. (Picture someone with a lisp tripping left and right into furniture and getting his pants caught in some crevice causing them to rip off and reveal GI-JOE underwear, and that's kind of what it's like, just less smooth.) Consistency and exposure to some people you don't hate are important (routine). It wasn't under my second year that I started to bond with roommates and neighbors. They were pretty cool and we'd mostly go out to eat burritos every day (again, low-pressure socializing).

This is gonna sound like a strange idea, but I suggest you watch a ton of stand up. Find some funny people (who aren't assholes) and watch the shit out of them. I'm thinking Jim Gaffigan, Nick Swardson, Jim Gaffigan, and maybe Jim Gaffigan. It kind of makes you funnier and gives you something to comment on. People like funny people.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I would only drop out of college if you planned on becomming an entrepreneur, in which case, you can start a business and say it was going on for as long as you want, and then essentially put whatever you want on your resume.

tumblr_ldhwhbtojn1qdp4xbo1_500.jpg

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well- here is my two cents coming from someone more than twice your age I suspect.
I fear if you leave- you might not ever go back. Or if you do- you will feel even stranger being "behind" in some way and talk yourself out of going.

Consider if you will a hybrid approach. (But please- after giving it just slightly more time. It's September. You just started. Give it just a WEE bit more time.)

But a hybrid approach could mean attending either a junior college or a part time schedule and getting a job. This way you are not abandoning it completely.

I had plans to attend college full time. Found a great job out of high school so went to junior college at night.

I did this for awhile but then got hooked on being in the real world and getting paychecks! So eventually- I gave up on college.

Then I worked and felt wierd that all the people around me (my age and younger) had college degrees and I did not. :(

EVENTUALLY--- in my thirties and married and pregnant--- I FINALLY finished my degree at a prestigious university by taking night courses.

It would have been much easier to just get it done earlier in life.

The work world is so much more competitive than when I was young. Try to get your degree. REMEMBER--- this is a temporary time in your life. It's not forever. Every day is closer to your goal. And maybe it's simply some adjustents that have to be made to suit your tastes than just quitting all together.

Whatever your decision- I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck.

P.S. You don't need to declare a major quite yet. If you are not going into the health fields or technology or science- a general degree is very respectable. I have a liberal arts degree that serves me well.