• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Having a good job without a degree...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have any of you been able to land a good job without having any kind of degree? What was the nature of the work? How did you get into the field?

Yes, I'm sure this thread has been done before, but I got tired of graverobbing. (Digging up old threads, I mean.)

Standuble

Your best bet is through web design or SEO. I use Codecademy to learn the various languages as someone with HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript understanding would be useful for any company and should be easy enough for an NT. Make some practice sites and then advertise it as part of a portfolio online. Somebody my work colleague knows supposedly earned £100,000 designing a website for a bank or similar company. Companies will pay through the ass for a contractor if it means it will still be cheaper than making a designer an employee for one ad hoc task but if not you could probably find an employer who would take you on full time. Someone needs to make sure that meta tags are correct so Google brings up results.

If you're a freelancer supposedly its good to contract your work out to the third world or places like India or China. You can pay them a fraction you would earn for doing the work for you.

W

WhoCares

Have any of you been able to land a good job without having any kind of degree? What was the nature of the work? How did you get into the field?

Yes, I'm sure this thread has been done before, but I got tired of graverobbing. (Digging up old threads, I mean.)

I have a degree in economics (single most useless theory in the world btw) and not once has it appeared in my resume. I have had plenty of good jobs, meaning high paying permanent positions, without a degree. I seem to have an insane knack for riding the crest of the $$$ wave then getting out right before that careeer is outsourced.

Cisco network engineer
Investment Banking
Freelance in jewellery design\silversmithing
Aviation

All paid a good wage when compared to effort and hours involved in earning it. The simple truth is you can make good money doing just about anything but its a lot more enjoyable when you have an interest in the role or industry as well. Find what floats your boat then let your street smarts sniff out the best $$$\effort position. Works for me.

In todays market big corporations are still outsourcing positions overseas to lowest bidder. Thats a No-win situation, but go niche and you'll find the $$$. I wont work for corps anymore as that gravy train has taken a dive over the economic bridge. But money is still to be found everywhere if you know where to look and have a bit of nous.;)