• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone in medicine?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Are there any other doctors, med students, or pre-meds on this forum?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=14458]earthtrekker1775[/MENTION] is in 3rd or 4th year med school now but he hasn't posted in a while. He's very busy.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
We have a few, cleancut comes to mind, he ought to be close to finishing by now as well..

While I'll be completing pre-med requirements, I believe I've adjusted myself to becoming a PA for now versus a doctor.

G

garbage

The wife is, I dabble in nursing research, and I've had to research the hell out of medicine for my own sake; and a small amount of that expertise has shed off onto me.

So, I guess if I stretch the truth enough, I'm in medicine.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
We have a few, cleancut comes to mind, he ought to be close to finishing by now as well..

While I'll be completing pre-med requirements, I believe I've adjusted myself to becoming a PA for now versus a doctor.
Oh, cool! Why PA versus doctor? I've completed most of the requirements now too, but I'm having a lot of doubts about medicine. Seems to me to be a brutal field for an NF.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
The wife is, I dabble in nursing research, and I've had to research the hell out of medicine for my own sake; and a small amount of that expertise has shed off onto me.

So, I guess if I stretch the truth enough, I'm in medicine.
:p I'll buy it! I now pronounce you an honorary doctor!

Castameare

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
..., but I'm having a lot of doubts about medicine. Seems to me to be a brutal field for an NF.
if you really think about pursuing a career in medicine, don't impede yourself by thinking this .

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I want to go into medicine, but I dunno if I will be a doctor. I love all things medical related, but I realized that so much of being a doctor involves interacting with patients. I'm not good with people...

Castameare

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to go into medicine, but I dunno if I will be a doctor. I love all things medical related, but I realized that so much of being a doctor involves interacting with patients. I'm not good with people...
benefit of studying medicine is that you have a variety of different branches, so you can try around searching for a field that may align with your preferences my biochemistry summed up some basics we should know about a topic for the test and meant you'll get the the rest if you gonna decide to work in that field - and added with a smirk 'for all those who don't want to work with patients'
what do you think would be problematic for you in dealing with patients?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh, cool! Why PA versus doctor? I've completed most of the requirements now too, but I'm having a lot of doubts about medicine. Seems to me to be a brutal field for an NF.

I'm actually on a step-by-step path right now. So far, I'm finishing up pre-reqs for a nursing program to get my BSN, 2 years long (2 1/2 if you count all the way to the BSN.) After that, I can get some real world experience as a nurse and be a contractor overseas to pay for my PA school. Become a PA, and if I don't like where I'm at I could branch out into either teaching, or more overseas work, or go back to school and actually get the MD.

I'm choosing PA right now because it's less time overall. Medical school is 4-5 years. PA schooling is 2 1/2. That's 2-2 1/2 less years of debt. I set my sights on being a doctor, but I don't know what the future holds for me.. and I could always become a doctor later on in life if I choose it. I just want bench markers for viable careers along the way. If I change my mind and chicken-shit out, I'm not lost. Ya know?

There's a part of me that is regretting that decision. I could study my ass off right now, and in two extra years I'd be an MD. But I think the PA schooling and the nursing schooling will be significantly less stressful in comparison to medical school. So that's four years of only slightly less stressful work. It'll be a good measure of if I feel like I am really prepared for being a doctor, or if I can get what I want out of my life without going through the stress of it all.

If you know for sure 100% you want to be in the medical field, gun for being a doctor. It cannot hurt you to do so. If you're wavering too much, make some bench markers in fields you think you might like as well.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

An unavoidable mess. If it is not patients, it'll be co-workers that'll whine worse than patients. Seriously, if you want to be in the medical field, don't let a minor detail like that stop you. Research is everywhere, and there is plenty to do that doctors are needed for outside of patient care. The clinicals and residentials are unavoidable, but if that's your only doubt I would put it out of mind.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
if you really think about pursuing a career in medicine, don't impede yourself by thinking this .
I'm really passionate about medicine...am just kinda having cold feet. I do have a few friends from the pre-med crowd but most people weren't as warm and friendly as I am. You're right, though. :) There isn't anything else I want to do in the world nearly as much. Thank you.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Hmm, are you ISFP? The last guy I dated was an ISFP in medicine.

I'm actually on a step-by-step path right now. So far, I'm finishing up pre-reqs for a nursing program to get my BSN, 2 years long (2 1/2 if you count all the way to the BSN.) After that, I can get some real world experience as a nurse and be a contractor overseas to pay for my PA school. Become a PA, and if I don't like where I'm at I could branch out into either teaching, or more overseas work, or go back to school and actually get the MD.

I'm choosing PA right now because it's less time overall. Medical school is 4-5 years. PA schooling is 2 1/2. That's 2-2 1/2 less years of debt. I set my sights on being a doctor, but I don't know what the future holds for me.. and I could always become a doctor later on in life if I choose it. I just want bench markers for viable careers along the way. If I change my mind and chicken-shit out, I'm not lost. Ya know?

There's a part of me that is regretting that decision. I could study my ass off right now, and in two extra years I'd be an MD. But I think the PA schooling and the nursing schooling will be significantly less stressful in comparison to medical school. So that's four years of only slightly less stressful work. It'll be a good measure of if I feel like I am really prepared for being a doctor, or if I can get what I want out of my life without going through the stress of it all.

If you know for sure 100% you want to be in the medical field, gun for being a doctor. It cannot hurt you to do so. If you're wavering too much, make some bench markers in fields you think you might like as well.
Hey, thanks! This was some solid advice. I know a couple of people who were pre-med in college and decided on PA school. They seem really happy with it, thus far - I hope the same for you. Yeah, your decision is wise in many ways. My brother is a doctor and he is saddled with student loan debt from his four years of schooling and is still being paid the meager salary of a resident physician even though he is about to celebrate the big 30. The one working PA I know says that she's happy with the work-life balance of her career, which she may not have had as a physician. And as you said, who knows - you may very well decide to get an MD down the road.

I'm sure that I'm more interested in medicine than anything else, and whenever I explored other interests in college, I always ended up coming back to it. It's definitely a huge life goal of mine. However, I met a lot of cutthroat competitive people along the way as a pre-med, and I have a generally friendly, chill disposition. It didn't always fit in well amongst those types. (I'm some kind of NF. Maybe INFJ. Maybe ENFP. It's unclear.) You guys are right, though. I'm glad I'm aware of it but it shouldn't stop me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] is a nurse, I do believe! :)

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lol don't worry about that. I'm an INTJ and I am not exactly in love with dealing with people's feelings either. I'm a paramedic student, and I find that there's not much feelings management you actually have to do.

Me: "Hi there, what's going on for you today?"
Pt: "My stomach hurts like crazy"
Me: "When did it start?"
Pt: "Last night at 6pm and it's just gotten worse and worse"
Me: On a scale of 0-10, how bad would you say the pain is?
Pt: 10!!!!
Me: Can you show me exactly where the pain is?
Pt: -points- right in this area
Me: Is there pain anywhere else?
Pt: no, just here
Me: Has anything like this ever happened before?
Pt: Yes. I was in the hospital just Thursday. I had a stomach bleed.
Me: Mhm. And what did they do for you at the hospital?
Pt: They gave me some morphine.
Me: Are you on any medications right now?
Pt: Yes, I am on antidepressants.
Me: What were you doing when the pain started?
Pt: Just sitting on the couch.
Me: Did you sustain any injury at all?
Pt: No.
Me: Is there anything that helps make the pain feel better?
Pt: Alcohol. I've been drinking since 8am today, but it hurts more whenever I stop.
Me: How much have you had to drink?
Pt: about 17 beers.
Me: How long have you had an issue with drinking?
Pt: for about 8-9 years.
Me: Have you thrown up at all?
Pt: No, although I do feel a bit nauseous.
Me: Have you noticed anything off about your bowel movements? Has your stool been particularly dark? Have you been going a normal amount that you usually do?
Pt: No, nothing out of the ordinary.

Very little feelings management :D It helps to tell a few jokes and work up a good rapport, but as a medical professional you don't have to do it.

/DG/

benefit of studying medicine is that you have a variety of different branches, so you can try around searching for a field that may align with your preferences my biochemistry summed up some basics we should know about a topic for the test and meant you'll get the the rest if you gonna decide to work in that field - and added with a smirk 'for all those who don't want to work with patients'
Right. I'm not sure what kind of field I want to go into yet. There are so many things out there that I just don't know about. I used to think medical school was my only option, but I'm hearing things about going to grad school and such. The trouble is finding the information.

what do you think would be problematic for you in dealing with patients?
I'm extremely awkward and socially inept. I don't exactly like talking to people all the time and I certainly don't like helping them. (Yes, I realize I sound like a bitch.)

An unavoidable mess. If it is not patients, it'll be co-workers that'll whine worse than patients. Seriously, if you want to be in the medical field, don't let a minor detail like that stop you. Research is everywhere, and there is plenty to do that doctors are needed for outside of patient care. The clinicals and residentials are unavoidable, but if that's your only doubt I would put it out of mind.
Ehh...it's not about interacting with people in general, it's about interacting with patients. I'm not a warm and friendly person and I don't have an inclination to be altruistic. TBH, I might even be better off as a medical examiner, provided I learn hand-eye coordination. Research sounds interesting...but I just don't know anything about anything right now.

So what does PA school entail? It's obviously quicker to get through, but what are the key differences between a PA and a doctor?

Hmm, are you ISFP? The last guy I dated was an ISFP in medicine.
I think ISTJ

However, I met a lot of cutthroat competitive people along the way as a pre-med, and I have a generally friendly, chill disposition. It didn't always fit in well amongst those types. (I'm some kind of NF. Maybe INFJ. Maybe ENFP. It's unclear.) You guys are right, though. I'm glad I'm aware of it but it shouldn't stop me.
I've met quite a few people who've intimidated me as well. Some people I know are attending school full-time in the summer and somehow manage to hold down jobs and get volunteer hours. These people are insane, chronic over-achievers and whenever I talk to them, I just feel like I'll never make it anywhere. I just finished my freshman year and I don't even have any sort of volunteer experience yet.

/DG/

Lol don't worry about that. I'm an INTJ and I am not exactly in love with dealing with people's feelings either. I'm a paramedic student, and I find that there's not much feelings management you actually have to do.

Very little feelings management :D It helps to tell a few jokes and work up a good rapport, but as a medical professional you don't have to do it.

Haha...well that doesn't sound too bad. It seems like in the medical schools, they really want you to want to help and be compassionate towards people. If I only wanted to do that, I'd just go to a soup kitchen instead of pursuing a medical degree. Wanting to work in the medical field is something I want to do for myself. Helping people is just a cool bonus that comes with the job. :)

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Haha...well that doesn't sound too bad. It seems like in the medical schools, they really want you to want to help and be compassionate towards people. If I only wanted to do that, I'd just go to a soup kitchen instead of pursuing a medical degree. Wanting to work in the medical field is something I want to do for myself. Helping people is just a cool bonus that comes with the job. :)
I care a lot about people, I just don't enjoy expressing it. If you do a good assessment, and select good treatments, you're helping them out. I've seen doctors and nurses who seem to really just not give a shit. They're lazy, do as little as possible, and have piss poor attitudes. Don't be like that, and you're fine.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Right. I'm not sure what kind of field I want to go into yet. There are so many things out there that I just don't know about. I used to think medical school was my only option, but I'm hearing things about going to grad school and such. The trouble is finding the information.
It's definitely not your only option. First of all, there are a ton of healthcare professions (optometry, podiatry, physician assistant, dentistry, orthodontics, veterinary, etc). Outside of the healthcare professions, there's law, teaching, consulting, anything you can name under the sun. You're a freshman in college? You have so much time to make up your mind! You have nothing to worry about. Take your time, investigate all of your options, and try different things out by working in different fields.

I'm extremely awkward and socially inept. I don't exactly like talking to people all the time and I certainly don't like helping them. (Yes, I realize I sound like a bitch.)
This isn't really going to hinder you all that much in medicine unless you're so socially awkward that you can't interact with anyone at all. You don't need to be a social butterfly to be a doctor. Honestly, many of my friends who are highly successful in medicine (in terms of getting into competitive specialties and making a ton of money) have been like this. And besides, you have a long way to go before you'll even come close to a patient (taking all the requirements, doing the research, taking the MCAT, etc). But, I wouldn't worry about this excessively at this point. Focus on doing well in your classes. Honestly, my sensitivity gets in the way more than it helps me at this point although the reverse will probably be true once I am done with the long road of schooling.

Ehh...it's not about interacting with people in general, it's about interacting with patients. I'm not a warm and friendly person and I don't have an inclination to be altruistic. TBH, I might even be better off as a medical examiner, provided I learn hand-eye coordination. Research sounds interesting...but I just don't know anything about anything right now.
There are a lot of fields other than pathology that don't involve a ton of patient interaction. There's radiology, pathology, anesthesiology...even dermatology.

So what does PA school entail? It's obviously quicker to get through, but what are the key differences between a PA and a doctor?
PA school is a year shorter than med school, and you become a physician assistant. You can prescribe medicine in most states and you conduct evaluations of patients but you're always practicing under the supervision of an MD. You also make significantly less, but as a result of that, hospitals hire a lot of PAs. They cost a lot less than hiring an MD.

I've met quite a few people who've intimidated me as well. Some people I know are attending school full-time in the summer and somehow manage to hold down jobs and get volunteer hours. These people are insane, chronic over-achievers and whenever I talk to them, I just feel like I'll never make it anywhere. I just finished my freshman year and I don't even have any sort of volunteer experience yet.
Eh, I wouldn't use the word intimidate for the people I'm talking about. You know that annoyed feeling that Ts get when they have to deal with people's feelings? That's how it feels for an F when they're dealing with T's lack of emotional connection. It can be quite draining.