• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is school so bullshit

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Think about it, if you ever want any success in having a high pay job you need to go through countless loops and hoops to ever achieve it through schooling. To become a doctor you need like 8-9 years of schooling with god knows how much tuition you will paying at the end of it(especially in the united states). I think this system is relativity outdated I mean what the fuck is the point of undergrad degrees if you don't actually bring you to where you want to go? those are precious years of human life we will never get back it just seems unreasonable.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Many people have realized that or are realizing it. Combine that with the looming student loan crisis and I don't know what's going to happen.

93JC

If you go to school you'll learn things like not writing nonsense like "what is school so bullshit".

Mole

Permabanned
The printing press was invented in 1440 and with it the dream of universal literacy.

And the dream has been realised in the last 100 years in prosperous countries.

And the dream of universal literacy was realised with free, secular and compulsory education.

But in 1840 the electric telegraph was invented, followed by the telephone, the radio, the television and the computer. And now we no longer need free, secular and compulsory education.

But public education, together with literate individualism, is taking a long time to die.

You probably feel ambivalent yourself. You recognise there is something wrong with school but are reluctant to give up your individuality.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Think about it, if you ever want any success in having a high pay job you need to go through countless loops and hoops to ever achieve it through schooling. To become a doctor you need like 8-9 years of schooling with god knows how much tuition you will paying at the end of it(especially in the united states). I think this system is relativity outdated I mean what the fuck is the point of undergrad degrees if you don't actually bring you to where you want to go? those are precious years of human life we will never get back it just seems unreasonable.

Medical students actually learn how to become doctors during those four years of medical school. When they graduate, they know quite a lot.

As far as undergraduate goes - well my view is just enjoy it because it's the last time you have so much freedom and so little responsibility.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Medical students actually learn how to become doctors during those four years of medical school. When they graduate, they know quite a lot.

As far as undergraduate goes - well my view is just enjoy it because it's the last time you have so much freedom and so little responsibility.

i think i most loved the lack of responsibility

jixmixfix

Permabanned

Dude how the fuck do you have little responsibility? unless you have rich giving parents you put yourself in debt and waste valuable time. You have to know where the job market lies and do your research. Do you know how many programs there are out there that don't even land you a well paying job? or keep you struggling to find a job?

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Dude how the fuck do you have little responsibility? unless you have rich giving parents you put yourself in debt and waste valuable time. You have to know where the job market lies and do your research. Do you know how many programs there are out there that don't even land you a well paying job? or keep you struggling to find a job?

you are so cute right now :smile:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
The printing press was invented in 1440 and with it the dream of universal literacy.

And the dream has been realised in the last 100 years in prosperous countries.

And the dream of universal literacy was realised with free, secular and compulsory education.

But in 1840 the electric telegraph was invented, followed by the telephone, the radio, the television and the computer. And now we no longer need free, secular and compulsory education.

But public education, together with literate individualism, is taking a long time to die.

You probably feel ambivalent yourself. You recognise there is something wrong with school but are reluctant to give up your individuality.

The education system is inefficient and unrealistic it keeps people down in the dumps for a hope that one day afters years of slavery their lives will different.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Is that just for those who are undergraduates, or for everyone?

Because I have to say i'm riding pretty high on my lack of responsibility right now.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
you are so cute right now :smile:
[MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION] has a point, though. Plus if you want to continue school, you have to really focus on achieving a high GPA and having great extracurriculars. There is no room for screw-ups.

Undergrad is not fun for me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what's school/what's school/ got to do with it /baby don't hurt me/don't hurt me/no more

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another factor is that competition for jobs is steep after college since so many people are getting degrees. This is why some men join the military or enter manual labor jobs (i.e. electrician, contractor, fireman etc).

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What seems unreasonable? We want knowledge(or as we it 'information') spoon fed to us so fast that we dont learn how to learn. We want everything so fast, but its just not authentic. I dont see anything wrong with taking time to learn something, as great things do take time. Our brains aerent wired to learn everything from the internet, this isnt really learning just collecting information. Also how is that time wasted? People in college party alot. Have orgies. etc. Beats working minimum wage your whole life, I think though if what you wanna do is flip fries all your life and you dont mind I say more power to ya, theres no silly job. But what about those people who wanna learn(note that Im not saying that school is the only place to learn not at all. But for alot of people, it is.) Also you dont need to go to school to earn alot of money, look at Pitbull or whatever his name is. :D

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because we'd rather have qualified people to provide us services.

Would you rely on an untrained doctor to cut your body with a scalpel?

Would you rely on an untrained lawyer to protect your freedom?

etc

/captain obvious

jixmixfix

Permabanned

Would you rely on an untrained doctor to cut your body with a scalpel?

Would you rely on an untrained lawyer to protect your freedom?

etc

/captain obvious

Wouldn't want an untrained person at all I'm more or less talking about the efficiency of our education system. Does a doctor really need 8-10 years of schooling or could their work be done sooner same with layers and other professions. It seems that the education system is set up so that we have to push through countless hoops in order to achieve our goal.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another factor is that competition for jobs is steep after college since so many people are getting degrees. This is why some men join the military or enter manual labor jobs (i.e. electrician, contractor, fireman etc).
These are skilled trades, not manual labor. They are respectable and often lucrative career choices for both men and women. Joining the military is also an option whose merits are not limited to men.

Society increasingly values certification over qualification, though, which relates to the idea of excessive formal schooling. It doesn't count if you can actually do the job, if you don't have all the right paperwork and boxes checked. This affects well qualified people who got their training and experience in the military, overseas, or even in a different state, and feeds a racket in which they must pay for unneeded "training", new certificates, wavers, application fees, etc. It has everything to do with bureaucracy and profit, and little to do with making sure someone can do the job. The skilled trades Giggly mentioned rely on apprenticeships in most cases. More occupations would do well to follow this model.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are loopholes, yes, but any alternative would come up with its own loopholes, and I think we're better off dealing with the ones that we are already pretty aware of.

/Tert Si

Maybe not though.

/Aux Ne