• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Advice for soon-to-be undergraduate students.

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
Some things I would like to know are:

What are some things you regret doing at college?
What are some things you regret not doing at college?
Are there any courses that you wished you had taken, but didn't? (because they would have helped you after school)

Any other tips or anecdotes are welcome too.

I'll give some...stats regarding myself, just to see if anyone can give specific or specialized advice. I'm starting out in the fall as an English major, with a concentration in professional writing. I aspire career-wise to do just that: write professionally. Journalist, staff writer, technical writer, magazine writer, freelance writer--they all appeal to me. I'm not going to declare a specific minor, but I plan on taking courses on computer programming, web design/programming, graphic design, and business (small business mainly).

Go!

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Some things I would like to know are:

Are there any courses that you wished you had taken, but didn't? (because they would have helped you after school)

I'll give some...stats regarding myself, just to see if anyone can give specific or specialized advice. I'm starting out in the fall as an English major, with a concentration in professional writing. I aspire career-wise to do just that: write professionally. Journalist, staff writer, technical writer, magazine writer, freelance writer--they all appeal to me. I'm not going to declare a specific minor, but I plan on taking courses on computer programming, web design/programming, graphic design, and business (small business mainly).

Go!

There was a class I had to take called "philosophical exposition and analysis." If you can find a writing intensive philosophy class, go for it. Popular writing is not the same as academic philosophical exposition; popular media demands that you arrest your readers with beautiful and exciting prose. But being able to combine that ability with the ability to thoroughly dissect and clinically present arguments is invaluable.

Work hard.

Usehername

On a mission
As a high school grad of '04 who has switched her major from pure sciences to social sciences to humanities, taken a gap-year after 1st year uni...

I'll answer this when I get back from my long weekend in the states. Late for packing already!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-not studying hard enough to keep my scholarships/get new ones
-not being outgoing enough to make new friends in my program, especially in first year
-not bothering to join sports/activity classes until 3rd year. I missed out on so much!
-not being as involved socially as I could have been.

-oh wait, see above. I guess I didn't end up actually DOING anything I regretted (typical P).

Don't know yet, but don't think so.

Don't be lazy. Don't wait for people to tell you what to do, take the initiative. Be friendly and don't be an asshole. :)

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I wish that I had studied abroad. That's about it.

I do NOT regret caring about grades, as I expect that my grades will play a role in getting into grad school. Care about your grades!

MBTI Type
ENTP
Caring and worrying about grades. What a waste of time.

It all depends on what you want to do with your life! If you want to go to a grad school and program of your choice, and maybe pick up some fellowships on the way, grades are very important! Also, top grades can let you get a head start if you want to go to top firms in finance. Beyond that, getting at least pretty good grades is at least one indication that you're actually working with your material and starting to know it.

As a liberal arts guy myself, I recommend that you (the English major) do some math. If you have the will to do it, going deep (at least two semesters) into calculus and maybe taking one or two courses in probability/statistics and discrete mathematics (combinatorics, etc.) is so key to having a truly well-rounded education... with calculus and probability you can understand so much more of physics... with statistics you can bring a critical eye to economics and sociological ideas that are casually bandied about in newspapers and with combinatorics you get a wonderful sense of the deeper potential of mathematics as a practical tool, an instrument of logic... (helps with LSAT)...

Take as much science as possible... as a writer, it's wonderful to be able to bring in an educated layman's perspective of contemporary science and reflect on what it means to be an animal in a technological world... Chaos theory is awesome... I think it's the key science/mathematical discipline after quantum physics... it throws a fascinating light on the typically linear, Newtonian way of looking at the world... wouldn't knowing these things change the way one thinks as a writer? I'd also do some biology... neuroscience and psychology-related studies... the obvious interrelations between language studies and brain science is one good reason for a liberal arts person to do stuff there... chemistry is totally unimportant to me...

Yeah.... so, that's probably a lot for an English major to do... I guess this is really a reflection on my own position... I'm, thankfully, a junior so I still have SOME time to catch up... my major point here is to diversify one's education... I'd definitely give a science major advice to take some philosophy and anthropology classes... plus, take a course on Shakespeare, one on Joyce...

I just re-read OP's post and realize OP's doing computer programming, graphic design, business, etc... well, just take some science courses outside of computing... it really widens one's horizons... the world's very interdisciplinary nowadays.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
1. Study, take care of academics-- I'm not kidding. People say all the time that undergrad doesn't matter and it's about life experience (okay, I said this in undergrad) but a bad GPA is an albatross and it will haunt you when it comes time for internships, jobs right out of college, and especially grad school.

2. Avoid intro classes like the plague- Intro classes suck the life out of any potential topic or major that you are interested in. Instead --

3. Freshman year, take only classes you WANT to take, not classes you think you 'have' to take- Narrow down an actual potential major first, then take the boring classes. This is really important. I fell into my major because I kept taking classes I thought I 'should' take, and not necessarily taking classes I wanted to take.

4. Don't box yourself in- College is the time to break out and explore. It's really your last socially sanctioned phase in your life you can make a bunch of mistakes, 'experiment', and try out lifestyles, looks, hobbies, etc. that nobody will hang over your head later. You can reinvent yourself -- every month!

5. Don't be afraid of being awkward or being out of your element- EVERYONE is out of their element to a point in college, just like point 4, throw yourself into things and don't worry about being shy or failing or looking foolish. Again, EVERYONE looks foolish in college. Seriously, years from now you'll look at pics and cringe at your hair, your outfit, your ex. :p

6. Cultivate relationships with mentors, professors, etc.Don't just be a random face in a crowd. If you find a professor or mentor in a field you like or just like a professor, visit their office hours, find salient points in lecture or articles to talk about, if you're going to miss a class, call them ahead of time and let them know, etc. This REALLY enhances your college experience and opens doors.

7. Major in whatever you want!- Undergrad majors don't matter. You want to do be a computer scientist? Double major in Dance! For a lot of people, college is your last chance to throw yourself into the arts. So major in what you want, take the classes that you need for the job you want, and enjoy being in an academic wonderland.

8. Find your real friends- Since people experiment and are finding themselves in college, there's lots of social jumping around floating from groups and acquaintances, etc. So find and cultivate the real connections when you find people you vibe with. Try not to be flaky?

9. Be youDon't let trends dictate how you act. Dont' be afraid to go against the crowd. College is a very transitory funny time, what seems like a big deal at 19 is ridiculously inconsequential at 30 or even 22 -- keep the focus on the bigger picture which is doing things which are in your best long term interests and vibe with your values.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Just don't waste too much time studying. Undergrad is easy, 3 years of life are many, so take care.

MBTI Type
ENTP
6. Cultivate relationships with mentors, professors, etc.Don't just be a random face in a crowd. If you find a professor or mentor in a field you like or just like a professor, visit their office hours, find salient points in lecture or articles to talk about, if you're going to miss a class, call them ahead of time and let them know, etc. This REALLY enhances your college experience and opens doors.

7. Major in whatever you want!- Undergrad majors don't matter. You want to do be a computer scientist? Double major in Dance! For a lot of people, college is your last chance to throw yourself into the arts. So major in what you want, take the classes that you need for the job you want, and enjoy being in an academic wonderland.

I agree with most of the other stuff.... PARTICULARLY the part about professors... you're never going to know when knowing a professor who likes you will pay off... not only do you get to explore a new friendship (they're people, after all), but a person you never thought would be important to you may provide the winning reference in an internship or job.

Do major in anything you want... but don't ignore arts for sciences or sciences for arts.... I made the mistake, when I was at a liberal-arts college in Massachusetts (which has no requirements for courses) of doing nothing but arts and finding myself drawing blanks when friends in the sciences would talk to me about new technology or the latest developments in gene research... it was very embarrassing.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I agree with most of the other stuff.... PARTICULARLY the part about professors... you're never going to know when knowing a professor who likes you will pay off... not only do you get to explore a new friendship (they're people, after all), but a person you never thought would be important to you may provide the winning reference in an internship or job.

Oh, and this is also kind of very stupid and only sets up a very bad record for startiting friendships. Forming relationships for business advancement is never something to recommend, ever.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

I regret not doing enough research before going to college and just deciding on the school that was furthest away from where I grew up that gave me a decent financial aid package. I was basically at a school I hated for two years and then transferred and had to start over as a freshman. My whole college application process was unorganized and haphazard.

Ahhh, I bailed too quickly on my first major. I for some odd reason really wanted to be a forensic scientist because I was good at chemistry in high school. I got to college took organic chemistry, physics, and other science classes and ran away screaming and deeply traumatized by all those numbers and strange scientific symbols. By the end of the academic year I was broken and switched to an English major. I don't think English was easier or anything, but it was something that was more suited to the way my brain works. Now, I probably would've been the little engine that could and at least done a physics minor or something because I do like it.

The courses that were most helpful to me since I've been out of college were psychology, sociology, and communications. Those have been absolutely invaluable in dealing with people. You can be the greatest that's ever done it at what you do, but if you have people blocking you or don't know how to navigate around these pesky people issues then you have hit a brick wall. I see it every day at my job. My more formal classes gave me foundational knowledge, like how to construct a well-written essay or business letter, or whatever. In my experience, most of what I needed to know about the actual job itself I've learned at the job. The other stuff about how to deal with people is what I needed preparation for.

I've been out of college for two years now. I was extremely blessed and went straight from graduation to starting my job the very next Monday.

What I do regret is not taking a break between school and work, which couldn't really be helped because I had debts, no money, and my parents weren't in a position to be of much help so I guess it would've been a case of have fun now, pay later. Now I'm thinking the break would've been a good idea because I still feel burnt out from 6 years of college and then leaping into a job.

What I'm happy about is I had plenty extracurricular activities and steady jobs to pad out my resume. I was very proactive about that and it helped me land a job when most of my friends were still looking six months later or just went to grad school because they couldn't find anything. Taking summer internships even if they pay crap (or nothing at all!!!) will help you later on. And even now, I still have my "extracurriculars" that I do so that when I'm ready to go to grad school I can be a more well-rounded candidate.

Studying. I really didn't study hard. I kept my GPA hovering a little north or south (mostly south ;)) of 3.0. I think studying is important if you plan or going straight to grad school. I wasn't an overachiever or anything because I didn't put in the time to schoolwork as other people did. It seems to me if you don't go straight in and work for a few years then your undergraduate grades can take a backseat the projects you work on at your job and your GRE and LSAT scores.

And I like that I had fun in college. I have a core group of friends that I met and I think I'll be friends with them for a long time.

Oh, and what CzeCze said!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do major in anything you want... but don't ignore arts for sciences or sciences for arts.... I made the mistake, when I was at a liberal-arts college in Massachusetts (which has no requirements for courses) of doing nothing but arts and finding myself drawing blanks when friends in the sciences would talk to me about new technology or the latest developments in gene research... it was very embarrassing.
I don't know about that, I'm about to graduate from a science degree and haven't taken any arts classes (unless psychology counts), and I don't regret it at all. Why would I take classes I wouldn't enjoy at the expense of classes I would enjoy, just to be more "diverse"? I don't really care if I can't discuss classic literature (for example) once I graduate, because I have absolutely no interest in doing so in the first place. :)

Attempting to be well-rounded is good up to a point, and that point (IMO) is when you start sacrificing what you really want to do. By all means though, explore the interesting-sounding classes that aren't in your major.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I regret having not lived in a dorm. I know people complain all the time about how much it sucks but that is a good way to meet people and commiserate on that shared bad experience and I missed out on that "college experience".

ygolo

My termites win
Enjoy yourself. Take your time. One thing I regret is rushing through my undergrad programs to get into the "real world."

Being a year or two younger than the others in your work-position is only fun for a little while. You can be branded as the "baby" of the group, and worse, habituate to being the youngest person in your position. It's not a great idea to be pushing 30 and still expect people to be surprised by how young you are.

Work, school, adventure/travel are not mutually exclusive. I know many students who took opportunities to study/intern abroad, or simply in different schools around the country. You can write for your school newspaper, maintain your on News/Opinion blog while in school, etc.

I wasn't a Journalism or English major, but an Engineering major. However, I think any type, in any field would benefit from being placed in situations close to the type of work.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Don't waste time. Unlike high school, college doesn't have a structured 8-3 environment with set places and times you have to be somewhere. You'll find that you'll have tons of free time in college compared to high school (if you were like me, and took several AP courses, did several extracurricular activities, and worked in a research lab until 9pm in the evening). You're going to be responsible for setting your own schedule and deciding what to do all day. Yup, unlimited free will! So, you can go anywhere you want during the day and do whatever you want. You could make your extracurricular activities beer pong, surfing facebook, and getting stoned, or choose among a whole other slew of intellectual things to do. You can schedule all your classes in the afternoon or evening and sleep until 1pm, or sleep in as late as you want, or take morning classes as usual. I definitely wasn't as scheduled in college as I was in HS, and I probably should've been. Spontaneity from my friends, who would drop by and suggest some activity, had something to do with that. I was still really busy, though.

This is a formative period of life and you will want to establish good daily habits and routines that you will use for the rest of your life. Time management is really important!

EDIT: Hmmm, actually, after re-reading this post I realize that the slowness and spontaneity of college compared to HS was an (essentially fun) part of going to college. Midnight bull sessions, sitting in a circle with a professor and class on the grass on a spring day, impromptu frisbee games, and just enjoying the campus can totally make the experience.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trust me on this one, research your professors prior to signing up for classes!!!

RateMyProfessors.com
Good point, completely agree. Sometimes it isn't possible to avoid a professor, but sometimes you can miss out on a semester of misery/a terrible grade from a completely idiotic professor.