• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Learning by heart vs. Learning by route

ygolo

My termites win
Last edited:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would like to think of it as two roads.

The learning by heart is one where you have to go on an adventure and feel which path is the correct. Learning by route is like a road with signs telling you were to go. You remember something that feels connected to you versus what doesn't feel as attached.

Think of it this way. I had to recite as much of the Gettysburg Address to my class in the 5th grade (the more I can recite, the better the grade.) In 5th grade, I was able to recite almost all of it. These are the lines I can still remember after all these years.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation
conceived in liberty
and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal

Now we are engaged in a great civil war
testing whether that nation
or any nation
so conceived and so dedicated
can long endure.
[There is a few lines I've skipped because I'd forgotten them]

But
in a larger sense
we can not dedicate
we can not consecrate
we can not hallow
this ground
. (bold part is the most powerful for me)

Everything else has come and go after all these years, but I would think most people are only familiar with four scores and seven years ago. (as it is a classic Abe Lincoln line)

In another scenario, I had to study a test that was pure rote vocabulary definition, which I might add was also multiple choice test. How did that turn out? I cannot remember much of anything I went through for that test besides the pure agony of staying up all night for rote memorization.

I would also think of it like this... across all cultures, there are many sayings and poems(particularly folk songs) that survive till this day. If we didn't have books or computers, they may have been long lost.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see learning by heart as integrating into memory the things that have personal meaning to you. Because it personally means something to you, it's more likely to stay with you over a long term.

Learning by rote is less likely to have personal meaning. You do it because you're told to or feel that you should. It's less effective because the things you're memorizing have less meaning or significance to you and you're less likely to retain the information.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know how learning by heart is different from learning by rote.

Aren't they the same thing?:huh:

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Isn't learning by heart just memorization, while learning by route entails figuring something out for yourself?

edit: wait, route or rote?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Isn't learning by heart just memorization, while learning by route entails figuring something out for yourself?

I don't know how learning by heart is different from learning by rote.

Aren't they the same thing?:huh:
[MENTION=10653]Such Irony[/MENTION] got it right. At least how I would characterize heart from rote/route. It's subtle but makes a difference.

The alphabet itself is already a route.
Singing the alphabet with the jingle is like learning with heart.
Saying the alphabet without the jingle, is like learning by route.
Learning the alphabet is rote memorization.

Lots of kids learn the alphabet with the jingle because it is easier to learn. It attaches the ABC/Twinkle-Twinkle jingle to the lyrics. So each time I start saying the alphabet, I end up doing this unconsciously (unless I point it out myself)
ABCDEFG (this area means slight break)
HIJKLMNOP
QRS
TUV
WX
YZ

I also unconsciously have done this with my middle/high school, community college, and 4-year college ID cards. I say them in a specific way, and I remember it because I say those ID numbers in a specific way (that is altogether 24 numbers.) But why would I need my middle school, high school, and community college id cards anymore? Well, it is because of what I did that I am eternally stuck with them in my head :D

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is the difference between learning by heart and leaning by route?

Learning by heart involves emotional experiences and what you learn through them. Learning by route usually starts with Mapquest and once you have driven the route, you remember it.

Mole

Permabanned
In learning poetry by heart we learn to savour each word. We stop wondering, what does it mean?

We stop being mean and allow each word to reach our toes before it reaches our mind.

But we can't speak poetry until it is remembered, for poetry is emotion recollected in tranquillity.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Learning by heart is learning something intricately and completely because you care about it or identify with it in some way.

Learning by route is having things enforced upon you whether you like it or not, like remembering the jingle for a jewelry store.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I actually think the OP meant "rote" like remembering something robotically word for word.

Like the jewelry store commercial.

wolfy

awsm
Learning by rote and by heart are the same to me. Learning by route is how I know my way to work.

ygolo

My termites win

I actually think the OP meant "rote" like remembering something robotically word for word.

Like the jewelry store commercial.

Lol. yes. I should stop posting from my phone with it's handy though often misfiring auto-complete.

G

Ginkgo

I think if you learn something by heart, you understand it well enough to apply it to other activities and use your ability creatively. Not only that, but you'll be able to predict some of the consequences of doing so. If you learn something by rote, then carrying out the procedure is mired by thoughts of how you even ought to tolerate the activity.